Which tablet pick?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
wolfer2332

Which tablet pick?

#1 Post by wolfer2332 »

I was wondering in some cool tablet to use. Also, which program would be the best for Drawing, and Animation :D

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Re: Which tablet pick?

#2 Post by truefaiterman »

If you're sure about getting it (if you are just starting, you can get to know programs and stuff with the mouse without spending money) I recommend you Wacom Bamboo: They're cheap (I've seen it for 50 euros) and they work pretty well, it's the one I use. That's good for starters.

About programs... there's no "perfect one", it depends of your tastes, it's a matter of trying them. Adobe Photoshop works for pretty much everything, but GIMP is simpler, free and might be enough to you. Then there's Corel Painter, which is amazing simulating traditional tools, but is also expensive and complex. There's Sai, which doesn't have too many tools, but it's cheap and comfortable, Manga Studio, Open Canvas... you have a lot of choices, as I said, just get some trials and see where do you feel more comfortable.

About animation... I only know Adoble Flash and Anime Studio. I think the second one is way more complete, but hard.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Cyrus
Regular
Projects: Gumshoe

#3 Post by Cyrus »

And don't forget the Toon Boom range of products for animation. I've only used storyboard pro but I love it.
Death Saw [Detective/3D]

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#4 Post by merdeamour »

I use an extremely cheap tablet (XP-PEN, it's a Chinese brand)--cheap by which I mean $50 or thereabouts, and it works fine with me. I was wary of buying the Wacom Bamboo because I'd heard that it was extremely easy to break, something like that. Not that I'm careless, I'd just really like my stuff to last a long time ((: And the price for the Wacom Bamboo (here, at least), is almost three times that of the tablet I chose. So I thought my tablet was a pretty good buy, seeing as I'm a beginner and all, and that my tablet works fine for me (in the purposes I bought it for, digital art stuff).

I'm currently using SAI (since it IS cheap), and I'm saving up for Photoshop, for when I've mastered SAI xD
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

merdeamour wrote:I use an extremely cheap tablet (XP-PEN, it's a Chinese brand)--cheap by which I mean $50 or thereabouts, and it works fine with me. I was wary of buying the Wacom Bamboo because I'd heard that it was extremely easy to break, something like that. Not that I'm careless, I'd just really like my stuff to last a long time ((: And the price for the Wacom Bamboo (here, at least), is almost three times that of the tablet I chose. So I thought my tablet was a pretty good buy, seeing as I'm a beginner and all, and that my tablet works fine for me (in the purposes I bought it for, digital art stuff).

I'm currently using SAI (since it IS cheap), and I'm saving up for Photoshop, for when I've mastered SAI xD
I'm not sure how you'd break a Bamboo tablet seeing as how they're pretty durable, it's just the cords you need to be careful with. Otherwise, I'd still recommend it over any other tablet for beginners because of its sensitivity pressures and it will last you a long while so it's worth the money.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#6 Post by Nuxill »

merdeamour wrote:I use an extremely cheap tablet (XP-PEN, it's a Chinese brand)--cheap by which I mean $50 or thereabouts, and it works fine with me. I was wary of buying the Wacom Bamboo because I'd heard that it was extremely easy to break, something like that. Not that I'm careless, I'd just really like my stuff to last a long time ((: And the price for the Wacom Bamboo (here, at least), is almost three times that of the tablet I chose. So I thought my tablet was a pretty good buy, seeing as I'm a beginner and all, and that my tablet works fine for me (in the purposes I bought it for, digital art stuff).

I had a Bamboo and it fell apart after about a week, but that was when they were relatively new. I'm pretty sure they're much hardier now.

OP could get a Bamboo since they seem like they're beginners, or maybe a Monoprice since they're cheaper and apparently just about as good as anything Wacom has put on the market.

Also you could google 'free art program' and get a decent variety of options. If you have no money go with GIMP or Fire Alpaca for now, and later you can buy SAI for 50 bucks or Manga Studio 5, which is 80 dollars and apparently now has decent coloring tools. Photoshop Elements is also pretty cheap at around 60-70 dollars.

Pencey
Regular

#7 Post by Pencey »

Well I know a lot of people who own Bamboo tablets and they never really complained about it? They even bring it to school for lols and everything so they're not that worried about it getting broken. As long as you take care of it and everything it'll be fiiine~

Anyway, I'm currently using an Intuos 5 tablet and out of all the programs I tried, I'd have to say my favorite is Sketchbook Pro. ^^

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Besides the fact that this choice of topic makes the thread sound like a pharmaceutical ad... we already have this thread elsewhere.

Locking.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira