Town Heat demo is out.

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
BlackSpider
Regular

Town Heat demo is out.

#1 Post by BlackSpider »

Allright, Town Heat (demo) v1.00 is out. It's only 25% of the whole script, many (so called public domain) animations were thrown out, most special CGs were removed, the script has been rearanged, etc. However, the demo still has a few special effects like moving clouds, sea simulation, flying birds. IMHO it's not that terrible, but it could be much better.
Anyway, don't expect a great script for the demo. That's only 25% of the whole game, besides I'm not a writer and I'm making the game in my free time to have some fun. Now some technical aspects. If the game runs too slowly in 32-bit truecolor mode change the desktop to 16-bit. Town Heat will then start in 16-bit highcolor mode. Moreover some older nVidia drivers don't seem to handle DirectX properly. That's why there are two executable files. Town Heat (hw) is the hardware accelerated version and (sw) the software emulation version. Needless to say that hardware acceleartion is much faster. You can switch between windowed and fullscreen modes with ALT+ENTER, but this is not recommended. Better leave fullscreen all the time. And one more thing. A good PentiumII with at least a 500Mhz CPU and 128MB RAM is recommended for smooth game play). The lowest machine I had access to while testing the demo was a PentiumIII 850Mhz with 256MB RAM and a 32MB graphics accelerator.

Good things :
1. Random speech sequence generator at second fight (when Aki helps the player fight against the gang).
a) throw 1 out of 5 possible answers at random
b) event occurs with given probability (eg 20% or 40%)
2. so called romantic scene with Mio on the beach (I guess I'm not too much romantic though).
3. 17 original music tracks (some composed with ModPlug tracker and some with eJay).
4. 20 up to 90min of game play depending on the chosen path with 4 possible endings.

Bad things:
1. The demo script could be better and more exciting...
2. No real strategy in fights (I guess I was too lazy to implement that for the demo).
2. Many good parts were removed because I had no time to code those events and draw extra stuff.
3. Bug when exiting to game menu (colors are not reflected properly - I'll fix this some other time).

New Town Heat website is at :
http://fire.prohosting.com/blacksp/

BTW, It's a 26MB download (the game requires 50MB on HDD)
Have fun...
BSpider

---

So now I need to relax and test all those new fan made ren'ai games (demos) that were mentioned on the forum. First I need to play the new Kasuka, then Untouched, and then perhaps find out all the endings of River Trap. That's amazing how my ren'ai games links list has grown. Last year I had 4 links and now I have 13. Soon I'll need to make a database to keep track of all this new stuff coming in so quickly...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

Awww, I was all excited to be the first to download the game and what happens? A freaking html is what keeps popping up to be downloaded.

Btw, BlackSpider, no need to put yourself down - we'll do it for you! Just kidding. ;P
A demo is just that - a demo, as in not the complete game and shows only a portion of an entirety. Of course it won't show all your game's potential. And fan-made is just that: not a professionally made game but an amateur game. So don't sweat the small stuff but thanks for warning us about compatability issues.

Yup, my bookmark list of fan-made ren'ai games is getting pretty long too. But hey, what's to complain about really? The more games available to play, the better imo! ^_^

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#3 Post by Sai »

I guess I'm the first then? ^^;;
Anyway I tried to download it earlier but like eclipse got the .htm file so gave up. But I just tried again and my download manager (Flashget) came up, I cancelled it and then the webpage reloaded and went to to the proper download page, so then I could download it using normal means.... You need to get to the blue FireProHosting or whatever page... try cancelling the download and seeing if it'll go to that page, then click on the proper link there... Bit of a puzzle hehe.

Anyway so it installed fine and I got it started. Nice funky music on startup heh. Later some of the music, reminds me of River Trap, cos of it being the same samples. But the music gets into its own individual pace. And the music for when you first go visit Reiko is fun. The graphics are really good and the system looks like it's got nice options and is easy to use and cleanly done. So far I've visited Reiko and met the new girl Aki and now I've gone out and bumped into Reiko again. I had to end it there for now because I really need to go to sleep. But I'll continue it another time. It's interesting so far.
My only slightly negative comment is when Reiko asks you about Aki and you have the option of "No, No (something else), Yes but she doesnt like me, Yes and shes gonna be mine!" I personally found that I didn't particularly want any of those choices hehe. I didn't want to say No and I didn't want to say she didnt like me because she obviously did as she said "he's a nice guy" but then I didn't want to say "She's gonna be mine" cos it's too early and not something I would shout out. So perhaps a more neutral option could of been added there.
But that's just me being awkward I think! ^_^;

Anyway it's looking great so far (hey that lightning on the start menu surprised me... O_o heh ). Nice work!

BlackSpider
Regular

#4 Post by BlackSpider »

Unfortunately the game can't be downloaded directly with download managers such as Flash Get or Download Express. In such cases you need to temporarily disable browser integration. For example, in Download Express you need to check the box under catch files only with CTRL + ALT in the options panel. Sorry, but I needed a free web host and that's the best I could find so far.

BTW Thanks Sai for your comments. If you don't choose the path where you go out with Aki the game is much shorter...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#5 Post by rioka »

Strange... I can download the exe file but it's only 3 KB... I'll try again later.

BlackSpider
Regular

#6 Post by BlackSpider »

I don't really know how to solve the "sometimes not working link problem". Anyway, Opera ( at http://www.opera.com ) seems to handle the link properly.

BTW here's the Town Heat thread on the MT forums :
http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?s ... try3377651

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#7 Post by rioka »

Looks like I'm not meant to play. I've tired Opera and Netscape as well - still the same 3MB problem... T_T Oh well.

Tyler
Regular

#8 Post by Tyler »

I played a little bit of it. It's good game, but I do have one problem.

The second time I got into the game, I went to a space area and kept on flying and hearing music, I waited a while and nothing happend. I've tried trying it agian but eachtime it freezes and wont respond. The music is stile playing, but everything else doesn't respond. Anyone have this problem?

BlackSpider
Regular

#9 Post by BlackSpider »

That's the technical problem I mentioned. It happends with some nVidia detonator drivers. In this case you need to run the sw (software emulation version) of the demo. Vertical retrace should be set to auto or always on if you use graphics accelerator tweaker utilities. Moreover, "always wait after BLT" should be enabled too.

As to the "sometimes not working link" problem, I really have no idea how to fix this. Perhaps by renaming the file to JPG I could cheat their system. Those who download would only have to rename the file back to EXE before installing the demo. But I'm not sure I'm allowed to do this.

Eiji
Regular

#10 Post by Eiji »

I havent run the exe yet.. but I"m using Mozillla and having no trouble d-loading it
"Who's the more foolish? the Fool? or the Fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

"if you could tune into the fantasy life of a 9 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this buisness" -- George Lucas

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

Alright, I finally am playing the demo, whew...

OKie, the music, one of the tracks is REALLY similar to River Trap, so I was a bit confused at the beginning as to what game I was playing :D .

Well, I love the engine, it's user-friendly, you can change things on the fly and it has animations, and, and and... great, really.

I am still playing it... you sure it's only a demo, it doesn't seem to end for me... and once agains I have to compliment the various choices you can make, all the stats and the multitude of BGs (I guess that's where the 26 megs come from)... Nice changes between the immediate story and the game story - anyway, I will write some more once I played it thoroughly. Great job. Yeah, it sure does have a few small flaws, but I already forgot about them...

And one more thing - it's great you kept your promise with releasing it in August.

Now, back to playing...
Last edited by mikey on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#12 Post by rioka »

Hoooraaayyyy! I finally downloaded it. I'm so happy T_T
lol ...And all this time, I just had to disable my firewall. Good grief! :roll:

Heeee, now to try it out! :D

BlackSpider
Regular

#13 Post by BlackSpider »

Thx all for your comments (PMs too).
I know one track is similar to RiverTrap, but I didn't have time to compose more stuff with ModPlug if I wanted to release the demo before the end of August. In fact that's that one long sample from eJaySE. It sounds almost the same... Sorry Mikey I had nothing else to choose as title music... :oops: The final game (if released) will have better music. I'll use ModPlug all the way (no more eJay's). While creating something with ModPlug may take much more time, it's much more powerful and amazing... As to the 26MB of data. Well 95 backgrounds with 3 characters (all emotions), a few animations, a few sound effects and 17 ogg music tracks at 44khz strero occupies that much space. The flaws, um well... My English is fairly limited when it comes to write stories... :oops: Besides, the main ren'ai engine could 've been improved too, etc...

Herzeleid

#14 Post by Herzeleid »

Whoa I love this game...Great Characters (YAY Aki! :D)...Music is kinda similer to River Trap but thats a good thing :)....Art is pretty good too!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

Herzeleid wrote:(YAY Aki! :D)...!
Yay Reiko!