Code Completion/Intellisense Possibilties?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Code Completion/Intellisense Possibilties?

#1 Post by netravelr »

One of my favorite features of working in C/C++ with Visual Studio is the Intellisense features that it provides, namely in that it will show you possible functions that you may call from certain areas when you access a class of some sort. Now, I know this isn't that helpful with screen language, but a lot of my old code for Ren'py is using something like the ui, renpy, or other classes. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten anything resembling code completion working in any kind of IDE (Eclipse, Visual Studio, Vim) for the RenPy libraries before as I believe it could save people making more complex games a lot of time. If not, no worries but I just wanted to see if anyone is using anything besides Notepad++ or the default text editor. Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

Re: Code Completion/Intellisense Possibilties?

#2 Post by arachni42 »

I think about this every time I do something in Ren'Py other than simple lines of dialogue. (I'd also really like to hear if anybody has anything like this working.)

But I've also wondered in depth about how hard it would be to make something like an Editra plugin that does something like this. I mean, the answer I always come up with "probably too hard" based on the premise that if it were not too hard, somebody would have done it by now. Plus I don't know Python. But still... ^_^

Here's a couple questions:
I know that Ren'Py users (such as myself) would find this "useful," but do you think many of them would find it to be "extraordinarily useful?"

For those who understand more about the structure of Ren'Py and how Python works... do you think that a plugin that was able to do this with Ren'Py would have useful applications outside of Ren'Py? More specifically, would most of the logic need to be specific to Ren'Py or could a lot of it be generic? Are there other Python applications out there with the same lack of code completion options, or is Ren'Py unique?
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Their are (better or worse) code completion options for Python.

It's just that writing such a plugin is moderately hard, and so I haven't done so yet. And I won't for quite some time, as I just have a lot of other things I want to do.

If someone wants to take this up as a project, I'd be really interested in helping you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Personally I'd find something like this wonderfully helpful.

The majority of problems I have had have been solved through a feature that I had no idea existed before someone else told me.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.