Where can I upload my game for free?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
animedaisuki
Regular
Completed: Zefii Beta 1.0
Projects: Zefii - A Transcendent Journey
Organization: Balibu Studios

Where can I upload my game for free?

#1 Post by animedaisuki »

Hi, so i just released my game last night using dropbox. but my public folder got suspended (yea, after a few hours...) because of excessive traffic... i guess too many people were downloading the game... could someone tell me an alternative place for me to upload my game? I know there's an official renpy game website. can i upload it there?

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Where can I upload my game for free?

#2 Post by merdeamour »

I usually download stuff from 4shared (because of the file comments telling me whether what I'm downloading has a virus or not xD), but some people don't like it because it requires a sign-up process. How about MediaFire?
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

We have renai.us here. Some of our members also offer free hosting service, try talking to them. Or you can upload to popular hosting sites; they are free though you need to register first. My favorite is Mediafire.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

animedaisuki
Regular

#4 Post by animedaisuki »

thanks everyone! i just uploaded the game on the renpy game site. hope it works now

animedaisuki
Regular

#5 Post by animedaisuki »

none of them are big enough... the limit is 200MB for all of them... my file is 233.4MB...

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#6 Post by pwisaguacate »

Let's take a look at these three big boys:
Dropbox wrote: Is there a limit or maximum to how big my files can be?

Files uploaded through the website (by pressing the upload button) have a 300 MB cap. In other words, each file you upload through the website must be 300 MB or less.
* https://www.dropbox.com/help/5
Google Drive wrote: Other files:

Files that you upload but don’t convert to a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides format can be up to 10 GB each.
* https://support.google.com/drive/answer/37603
Microsoft SkyDrive wrote: Upload photos and files

Depending on the web browser you use, you can upload files up to 2 GB in size.
* http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skyd ... -files-faq

Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft SkyDrive should all allow a 200+ MB file to be uploaded. Note that they have limits on the maximum a user can upload to an account.

What some people do is split a large file into smaller archive pieces that extracts together when the user downloads them all and run it. Most archiving programs should be able to make split archives. These files have extensions that look like .part1.rar, .part2.rar, part3.rar; or .zip.001, .zip.002, .zip.003; etc.
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animedaisuki
Regular

#7 Post by animedaisuki »

are those options free? i used dropbox at first, but my public folder got suspended bc too many ppl were downloading it...

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#8 Post by pwisaguacate »

They have free accounts with monthly payments options to increase storage. I don't know much about file sharing traffic.

If you want or have to, split archives can be made (with 7zip, for example) and uploaded to someplace.

animedaisuki
Regular

#9 Post by animedaisuki »

thanks, i guess i'll try out google drive for now... but hopefully the game gets approved on the ren'py website soon so that i no longer have to worry about traffic...