Deciding to use this program

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Rockay

Deciding to use this program

#1 Post by Rockay »

Hi all, I had an idea for an rpg however many rpg programs require a lot of work both sprite based, scripting and many other components and I understand this program would also need this also but a Visual Story I think would be easier for me to work on and prepared to learn a scripting language for.

Before I download and begin I was wondering is it possible to make a game similar to an rpg style with various changes throughout the game such as levels, stats, equipment and party members?

I understand being complete noob I need to start at the basics but was wondering if this is achievable down the track so I can practice and focus on this later on?

chisa-chan
Regular

#2 Post by chisa-chan »

Hmm...
using UI function, I guess?

There are some posts here about RPG system. Maybe those can help you.
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#3 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Indeed it is acheive-able, although you would need to know a moderate amount of python.

valeatory
Regular
Projects: Nightglove Institute, Monstrata Fracture
Organization: Astralore Games
Tumblr: valeatory
itch: astralore

#4 Post by valeatory »

Levels and things like that are also mostly definable using 'if' checks and point based variables, if you're not so good at programming.(that's pretty much how I'm doing it) though it may not be the most efficient.
there's talks about these things on these topics(this isn't all of them, of course):
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2012
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=982
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1600

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: Deciding to use this program

#5 Post by kara24601 »

I wouldn't know how to go about it myself, but yeah, there's already some "OEL / EL VN" that have RPG-like aspects or could be called an RPG alongside VN. So it's definately something that can be done. But I suspect they are right and the actual coding process is still hard even with something like Ren'Py. I'm not very knowledgable in Python or Ren'Py but I can make a basic game with Ren'Py.