New Features Update --- 2004-09-01

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

New Features Update --- 2004-09-01

#1 Post by PyTom »

Well, it's been a while, so let me go over the newest features that Ren'Py now supports.

First of all, let me just plug the latest version of the documentation. When I do "print preview" in Firefox, it claims that this is 38 pages long.

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/devel/doc/tutorial.html

New features include:

Loading and saving, including a GUI interface that allows for an arbitrary number of save slots. Each slot has a small thumbnail and some information associated with it that gives the time the user last saved.

There's also a main menu that lets the user decide if he wants to start the game, or load a saved game.

A brand-new style system lets the user change the style of many of the things in Ren'Py.

I spent a bit of time profiling Ren'Py, and found out that some time was being wasted blitting images multiple times. The new system will now blit an image once (in most cases). This leads to a significant speedup in some cases. On my 1.4 ghz machine, the time it takes to show a new line of dialogue is now about .04 seconds.

I'd say Ren'Py is now usable as a game engine, having many of the features that it needs. There are still a few things I want it to have before I make a release, though:

- Predictive loading of images for improved performance with reduced memory usage.

- Frames, which scale images while keeping a border intact.

- Animations.

Once I get these done, then I'll cut a new release. (And switch modes from engine programmer to game author.)

Trinity Riot
Regular
Location: Somewhere between New York City... and New York City.

Re: New Features Update --- 2004-09-01

#2 Post by Trinity Riot »

PyTom wrote:When I do "print preview" in Firefox, it claims that this is 38 pages long.
Firefox tells me 26 pages. :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Ah, but you probably have a reasonably-sized font. And perhaps your firefox's printing isn't horribly broken.

Grey
Veteran

Re: New Features Update --- 2004-09-01

#4 Post by Grey »

Trinity Riot wrote:
PyTom wrote:When I do "print preview" in Firefox, it claims that this is 38 pages long.
Firefox tells me 26 pages. :P
Well, firefox tells me 24 pages Image

Nice to see more people using firefox nowadays.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

There are people who don't use Firefox?

Anyway, the point is that it's as long as the final report I wrote for my internship over the summer, and still getting longer. I should format the gorram thing in TeX, and then we wouldn't be having this debate. :)

Tyler
Regular

#6 Post by Tyler »

Your doing great Pytom, there should be a ren'ai engine contest and you would get first :D
PyTom wrote:There are people who don't use Firefox?
I don't know what Firefox is :) Here is the us, Microsoft's Microsoft Word has put other text programs out of business because it's free with every windows comp.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Your doing great Pytom, there should be a ren'ai engine contest and you would get first
Well, I did this for myself, to make writing a game easier by making the script and the game code the same thing.

But if other people use it to make new games, well, that's a fringe benefit.
I don't know what Firefox is Here is the us, Microsoft's Microsoft Word has put other text programs out of business because it's free with every windows comp.
Firefox is probably the best web browser in existence. Tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, and (as an optional add-on) mouse gestures are must-have features, IMO.

You can download it for the low, low price of free from:

http://www.mozilla.org

And what's with the "here in the US"? I'm now back in Long Island, NY, after finishing a summer job working for the Navy as a researcher outside of Washington, DC.