Neurosky for VNs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Neurosky for VNs?

#1 Post by Morhighan »

NeuroSky is a company, the products of which depend on EEG (Electroencephalography) and ECG (Electrocardiography) in order to use apps. That is, instruments that read your brain and heart in order to function.
I'll be receiving one of those headsets in the mail later today, which got me to thinking--Neurosky (whose work resulted in the MindWaveand Necomimi products) seems to be fairly developer friendly. I would love to develop some games for it. Problem? I usually only make visual novels.
What would be a good way to make a Visual Novel for something like the MindWave? Would that even be reasonable? I think, with some tweaking, Visual novels could be made into an interesting experience with a "mind-reading" headset.
For instance, if in a Dating Sim, your concentration lowers, perhaps the love interest gets offended?
Stuff like that.

Your thoughts?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Neurosky for VNs?

#2 Post by sake-bento »

That sounds really cool. o.o I remember reading about a game a while back where two people tried to move a dot onto their opponent's side of the screen. The dot would move away from whoever was most relaxed, so in order to win, you had to not panic.

It might be interesting to have characters react to your emotions. If you're more excited, they also get more excited. Or a horror piece that makes the game harder on your if you're panicking (although that just sounds cruel...).

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

It would be amusing to play with character rivalries.

On Girl A's path:
"I've noticed you seem to get really excited whenever Girl B is here. What is that, do you not want to be with me or something?!"

It would certainly make it more realistic, don't you think? :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

I think it's better for horror or action games. Where your character will get more nervous and prone making mistakes if you're panicky (like adrenaline effect of Fear Effect) or sanity gauge where you will have worse hallucination depending on your mental state... I mean YOU, not the character.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#5 Post by lemonscent »

^ That's actually a really good idea.
The only qualm I have about it is that in that case, people bored from the start will continue to be bored while the people scared out of their minds will become even more freaked out.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

It's kind of neat, and would be easy enough to interface with Ren'Py, as long as you used the TCP connector, and limited yourself to the attention and meditation readings, and the blink detection.

The downside is, it's a lot of work for a piece of hardware that isn't very popular. If someone wanted to put together an art game or something where people could borrow the headset, I'd be interested in supporting that. But it's probably not something that would go into mainstream Ren'Py - unless we get a ton of people getting these, in which case I'd consider it.

Note to self: http://developer.neurosky.com/docs/doku ... nector_tgc
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

Like PyTom said, since neurosky needs specialized hardware, I don't think it's a good idea on itself (though it is interesting to have). Like lightgun, kinect, PS eyes, and so on. Perhaps we can make an arcade games instead... though I never see an arcade VN...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW