Violence?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MsDuck
Regular

Violence?

#1 Post by MsDuck »

I'm not a particularly mean person but I do admit to a certain amount of blood lust.

And since I finally got it into my head to actually work on my game I figured I would ask a couple of questions:

1- Can you stand the idea of violence (not necessarily sexual) in a renai/dating/bl game etc.?

2- If you can: How much?

I ask because the game i'm currently planning has some fairly gruesome moments.

Signed,
Myself

P.S - Does anyone know any good free music sites?
Something witty goes here.
??? - BLSN

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#2 Post by Nafai »

For me its not the level of violence so much as the 'gratuitousness' of it that can turn me off. As long as the violence is there for a story related reason, I can pretty much take it. If you have an evil undead warlock, and he decides to draw and quarter the player's family - that's pretty acceptable given the nature of the game/characters. Now if you're showing two love rivals in a modern high school duking it out, having one stab the other in the eye with a pencil repeatedly might be a bit excessive... Unless you're dealing with pyschotic characters in that setting...

So again, really, it depends on the game. As long as its not violence for the sake of violence, I think I'm alright.

Dragon
Regular

#3 Post by Dragon »

I'm into games with blood and gore. It makes the game more intresting and exciting if you ask me.

MsDuck
Regular

#4 Post by MsDuck »

For me its not the level of violence so much as the 'gratuitousness' of it that can turn me off. As long as the violence is there for a story related reason, I can pretty much take it. If you have an evil undead warlock, and he decides to draw and quarter the player's family - that's pretty acceptable given the nature of the game/characters. Now if you're showing two love rivals in a modern high school duking it out, having one stab the other in the eye with a pencil repeatedly might be a bit excessive... Unless you're dealing with pyschotic characters in that setting...

So again, really, it depends on the game. As long as its not violence for the sake of violence, I think I'm alright.
Oh I made sure it's all story related, I even plan on making it variable with a slide morality scale. I don't care for gratuitousness either it just goes blah after a while. I'm just worried that even if it's story related it'll still end up being too much... especially with my imagination.
I'm into games with blood and gore. It makes the game more intresting and exciting if you ask me.
I think so too. :D But I still have to make sure it fits properly. :twisted:
??? - BLSN

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#5 Post by Enerccio »

1. sure, why not?
2 - as much as game requeres, even if there will be killing each line of text if it suits game why not? :wink:
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#6 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Yes, my game has a lot of violence in it, but thats a part of the game.

1- Of course!

2- Up to unconsiuness. Just up to unconsiusness.

I use violence as part of the plot.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#7 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Well, extreme violence kind of disturbs me, to be quite blunt. Like Mel Gibson's films. Do they have to be that violent? I think discretion is the better part of valor.

I also think that rape (you mentioned not necessarily sexual violence, but I thought I should include this anyway) is in no way a form of entertainment and should not be shown in a game except for a very specific story-telling purpose.

I find excessive description and visuals of violence really disturbing, but that's just my opinion.

MsDuck
Regular

#8 Post by MsDuck »

PrettySammy09 wrote:Well, extreme violence kind of disturbs me, to be quite blunt. Like Mel Gibson's films. Do they have to be that violent? I think discretion is the better part of valor.

I also think that rape (you mentioned not necessarily sexual violence, but I thought I should include this anyway) is in no way a form of entertainment and should not be shown in a game except for a very specific story-telling purpose.

I find excessive description and visuals of violence really disturbing, but that's just my opinion.
... You'll probably want to avoid the game i'm working on now.

As for whether it's necessary depends on the story. I don't enjoy it when it's just thrown in, but if it's plot related i'm all for it.

Now, I myself, usually take a minimalist approach to writing but I don't find it excessive if the person committing the act describes it (usually to screw with another character) as long as it's appropriate plot wise.
2 - as much as game requeres, even if there will be killing each line of text if it suits game why not? :Wink:
Hehe, sounds like fun. :twisted:
??? - BLSN

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

I'd also say it has to fit the story. I'm not too much for violence myself but I thought it fit Winter Shard for example. So it all depends on how... gratuitous it is, yes... I don't know how else to describe it :)

Raikiri
Regular

#10 Post by Raikiri »

1. Why not?

2. I'm fine with pretty much everything up to (and including) people getting disemboweled Elfen Lied style, though I don't see how THAT much violence would fit a ren'ai game. :lol:

PrettySammy09 wrote:I also think that rape (you mentioned not necessarily sexual violence, but I thought I should include this anyway) is in no way a form of entertainment and should not be shown in a game except for a very specific story-telling purpose.
FYI, I can think of several hentai games (some of which have been officially translated and released stateside, others with fan translations) where rape is the primary focus, and many, many more where it plays a large or small part in the game.

I am in no way saying that non-fantasy rape is good or acceptable, but there are quite a few who disagree with you on the entertainment bit. A crude form of entertainment to be sure, but entertainment none the less.
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

MsDuck
Regular

#11 Post by MsDuck »

Raikiri wrote:2. I'm fine with pretty much everything up to (and including) people getting disemboweled Elfen Lied style, though I don't see how THAT much violence would fit a ren'ai game. :lol:
I've actually seen that in a game and the reason for it made perfect sense . :)
??? - BLSN

Raikiri
Regular

#12 Post by Raikiri »

MsDuck wrote:I've actually seen that in a game and the reason for it made perfect sense . :)
Which one?
I may need to do some... research. *cough*
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

MsDuck
Regular

#13 Post by MsDuck »

Raikiri wrote:
MsDuck wrote:I've actually seen that in a game and the reason for it made perfect sense . :)
Which one?
I may need to do some... research. *cough*
Togainu no Chi, it's only in japanese... and it's BL, if that isn't your thing.
??? - BLSN

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#14 Post by chronoluminaire »

To answer both questions at once: Only a little bit. I can cope with stories being disturbing in many ways, but excess blood is one of the few things that'll drive me away. (If it's gratuitous then that'll tend to make me switch off as well.)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

MsDuck
Regular

#15 Post by MsDuck »

chronoluminaire wrote:To answer both questions at once: Only a little bit. I can cope with stories being disturbing in many ways, but excess blood is one of the few things that'll drive me away. (If it's gratuitous then that'll tend to make me switch off as well.)
It's not really gratuitous if it's plot born.

How much do you consider excessive?
??? - BLSN