Bakuman

For the rest of your otaku life.
carbon-ko
Completed: 5 Questions

Bakuman

#1 Post by carbon-ko »

Anyone here fans of the Bakuman anime or manga? I really connected with this series because it is about an artist and writer teaming up to accomplish their goal of making a popular manga in Shounen Jump which is in a way similar to making visual novels with a partner.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

Re: Bakuman

#2 Post by RunicV »

Oooh oooh oooh me~ I read the manga. Never tried the anime.

I really enjoyed this since they went in-depth about how the manga-making process works, and it was really entertaining to learn about it. I kind of started disliking it after they began competing with Eiji for who could take first place -- it felt a bit unrealistic and unfair to the other older characters who had been in the manga industry longer. It was a good read, though, and the art was pleasing to the eyes.

I love the way the two worked together -- that was what really kept me reading -- and you are right, it is like a VN partnership! The only pair I can think of that is a writer-artist duo is Cyanide Tea. Most of the other VN developers are either one-man-armies, owners of a studio or unofficial groups. (Unofficial groups as in they tend to go to the same artist to collab and work with, and it's well known after a while.) There are also some people who just collab with lots of different people.
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

carbon-ko
Completed: 5 Questions

#3 Post by carbon-ko »

I read the manga and watched the anime. The anime is worth a look because it has animated scenes from the anime shown in the manga and it is pretty well done. I loved Bakuman except for the fact that Nanimine was defeated so easily the second time and the female voice acting contest. Both of which were cut out of the anime. I do agree there should have been more supporting characters in the final arc especially Shizuka Ryu who dropped out of the manga for some reason.

I'm only a writer and game designer so I will need an artist partner if I want to make an original visual novel. I think Analogue: A Hate Story by the legendary Christine Love was a writer/artist combo.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Love that series! It really clicked with me on a lot of levels, not just teaming up to make a comic, but also life in the industry and the consuming nature of creative work. It doesn't hurt that the writer and the artist for this are both some of my favorites as well. I've seen a bit of the anime, but I didn't feel that it was as strong as it could have been. I did, however, appreciate the fact that the anime gave us more time to see Azuki's struggles as well. The manga didn't touch on her career much until the end, and I really wanted to see what that was like.

Ekamu
Regular
Completed: Paper Guitar

#5 Post by Ekamu »

I read the manga straight in like two months it was all I ever did after school. It really captures that grunge you get as an artist (mangaka) like when Mashiro ended up in hospital for pushing himself too much, his Uncle died from over working but hey its a "gamble" right?
------------Paper Guitar------------
Experimental Nostalgic Romance VN Out Now!
.......made with love from the lucid moon........

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I also love Bakuman. It have the delicate balance between seriousness and humor/comedy.

Some manga about manga artist out there are completely hilarious (since it's comedy) or over the top (like conspiracy in manga industry or when a manga artist is coughing up blood when he's drawing because of the lack of sleep)... it's too serious that makes me laugh.

The rest is ... well ... not good enough.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW