Seamless Character Expression Transition

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
qsvgxn

Seamless Character Expression Transition

#1 Post by qsvgxn »

Hi everyone I'm completely new to making VNs and I'm having some trouble getting a certain (yet simple) effect going.

Basically, I want to have a character's expression change while they are in the middle of speaking. Something like after a comma or a short fragment sentence. I can do this with the following

Code: Select all

show char happy with dissolve
char "I am happy!"
show char sad with dissolve 
extend "\nNow I'm sad."
char gets a sad facial expression halfway through the dialogue on user click and continues printing the contents of the textbox. I also add in the dissolve transition because it looks nicer. BUT, that creates a problem. The textbox and the text in it go away completely while the transition occurs. I looked around a bit and found that by adding

Code: Select all

window show
to the beggining of the label the textbox remains but the text still gets turned off so the transition can happen.

So my question is, is it possible to have transitions into different emotions and poses happen completely independent of the textbox? I want it so that once the user clicks once char is done saying "happy!", both the dissolve to sad animation AND the printing of "Now I'm sad" happen at the same time with absolutely no elements on the screen dissapearing.

Thanks.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Seamless Character Expression Transition

#2 Post by Alex »

Try custom ATL transform instead of dissolve transition - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... on#p193210

qsvgxn

#3 Post by qsvgxn »

Oh man that's the answer!

Having some trouble properly replicating the dissolve transition in atl though. I tried out your code and it's close but for about have the duration of the linear value the character sorta ghosts out due to the sprite being replaced having an alpha of .5 and the replacing sprite having an alpha of .5 simultaneously. Is there some alpha combining switch I need to flip to prevent this brief ghost effect?

qsvgxn

#4 Post by qsvgxn »

Ah, got it fixed. Just had to remove "alpha 0.0" in "on replace".