This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
1) How do I reposition the text window? I'd like to place the window in the middle of the screen if that's possible. I'm going to be emphasizing the "novel" part of "visual novel," so I want the text to be front and center most of the time.
2) How do I center text within the text window? I'm using the "centered" command for certain titles, but I'd like to be able to put text in the center of the text window in some instances.
Now, for your first question... I know this can be done in some way, but I've never bothered to learn how... But if you want to give your game more of a "Novel" feel, wouldn't it be easier to just use NVL mode? You can find examples of how this is done in the demo that comes with Ren'Py; click on "Advanced Features" when you get to the topic menu, and then on "NVL Mode".
You could also visit the relevant reference page, http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/NVL_Mode.
As for the second one, I personally don't know of any way to do this, save for using "\n" to insert newlines manually. If you had a textbox with a height of, say five lines of text, you could use something like
Code: Select all
Of course, if your textbox is only four lines tall (as is the standard AFAIK) you'll have to live with TEXT being on the 2nd or 3rd line rather than the center, which would've been line 2,5...
I hope this helps in some small amount, at least. If not, you can wait until the more experienced users come along - my own knowledge of Ren'Py is rudimentary at best.
It Will Be Done When It's Done™
@Raikiri: Ah yes, NVL mode! I went through the demo a while ago and had forgotten all about that until you mentioned it. I was thinking of having the textbox only occupy the center third of the screen, but NVL mode will work fine for what I want to do.
@DaFool: The only time I'd be centering the text within the textbox would be to introduce new chapters of the story, but I think you're right about it not necessarily looking very good. Your suggestion of using subtitles instead is an excellent one. I'll give that and NVL mode a try and see how I like using them.
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 616
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:23 pm
- Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?
- Location: Slovakia, Kosice
Code: Select all
show expression Text("Chapter 1", size=40, yalign=0.5, xalign=0.5) as text with dissolve $ renpy.pause(7.0, hard=True) hide text with dissolve
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]