The Madness [Psychological Horror / Puzzle]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Re: The Madness [Psychological Horror / Puzzle]

#16 Post by Greeny »

Alright, I've uploaded an updated version! This version includes a new preferences option to turn off the most processor intensive animations.
It only adresses the most problematic areas, so if I missed something, please do let me know. You can set it on and off in the preferences screen at any time.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mbtzi ... .1-all.zip

However, I have just about the worst internet connection in the world, and it's timed out three times already trying to download it. If it's not too much trouble, could you upload the version-specific games separately (or just the Windows one, as that's what I'm using)? I might have an easier time getting it if it were a smaller file.
I'll see if I can find the time later tonight.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Greeny »

Hyraculon wrote:However, I have just about the worst internet connection in the world, and it's timed out three times already trying to download it. If it's not too much trouble, could you upload the version-specific games separately (or just the Windows one, as that's what I'm using)? I might have an easier time getting it if it were a smaller file.
I'm sorry - I tried to see about uploading seperate versions, but it turns out there's only about 10MB difference, which means it's not really worth it... and if you're having timeouts at 200~MB you'll probably not make it on 190 either... :/
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!

Muzozavr
Regular

#18 Post by Muzozavr »

Maybe you could make a multi-volume RAR file and split it into 10 files of ~20 MB?

Hyraculon
Regular
Projects: Goetia Club

#19 Post by Hyraculon »

Greeny wrote:I'm sorry - I tried to see about uploading seperate versions, but it turns out there's only about 10MB difference, which means it's not really worth it... and if you're having timeouts at 200~MB you'll probably not make it on 190 either... :/
I appreciate the effort! Later in the week I'll see if I can't find an internet cafe and download it that way.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#20 Post by Helianthus »

I’m quite surprised nobody has asked for help yet :lol: !

My boyfriend and I were so hyped by the release. We loved The Loop (although we only beat it in easy mode, thanks to luck) so we were ready for the worst. And boy, until now, there is no disapointment with that much creepy stuffs around…
The doll, the fucking doll. Especially in the last loops. Those dead eyes… And the screamer. Should have known the twisted mind behind the game would put some screamers for the lulz !
I have some questions about the mechanics though :
In our first playthrough, we died and saw the Game Over screen. But then my boyfriend clicked on the Rewind button which brought us straight to hell (still unsure if it is a dead end or just the following puzzle) 0__o. And when we loaded our save to retry the game at the beginning, I noticed I could click on the Forward button…which gave me the solution of a puzzle (the first lock).
So I don’t quite understand what is the use of those buttons. I though they were part of the save/load mechanics but it does seem to be the case. If it’s a joker or some sort of help, it’s not very clear. I’m really confused…
I think I’ll talk about my general impressions later if nobody wants to post. It would be such a shame otherwise, the game is really good so far :)

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Greeny »

Well it says this in the READ ME but the fast-forward button is for puzzle skipping. It's only available for puzzles above your difficulty setting.

Muzozavr
Regular

#22 Post by Muzozavr »

Wait... what screamer? Granted, I never tried to r*****d from "game over", but I've never heard the game screaming at me. I've heard other... stuff, though.

Does this game feature semi-random different scares on each playthrough? If so, that's quite amazing!

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#23 Post by Caveat Lector »

Actually, I've encountered the screamer. I'm not sure if this is what triggers it or not but for me, it happened after (spoiler marks in case you want to find out for yourself)
playing The Loop on the protag's laptop, pressing X when the game tells you to, and then BAM--screamer!
Afterwards, I've encountered the screamer when (again, in case you want to find out for yourself)
watching TV, or hanging around the TV area.
Once you know to expect him, you can just block the screen with your hands until after he pops up, but if you forget it's really, really creepy. :shock: Though not as creepy as
the mannequin whom I think wants to kill me, but I haven't summoned up the courage to make it past the point where he's standing above my bed with the knife.
:shock:

EDIT: No, wait, I finally did it and...game over.
Or is it? The game over screen abruptly stopped and I could only rewind, which got me in...hell?
...By the way, do you plan to release a hint guide for the puzzles? I think I've figured out how to solve the first one, but I'm not entirely sure because I can't quite get the right set of numbers. What I picked up from the clues was:
. I need to examine the pictures
. The combination is somehow related to these pictures, and possibly to the telescope (stars?)
. The scraps of paper with dates are related to the combo--perhaps each date is related to the painting that's out each time you wake up?
Last edited by Caveat Lector on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Greeny »

I'll give you guys one fair hint: In each area, there are multiple puzzles available, though some may be locked off until you do a certain thing.

Figuring out what clue belongs to which puzzle is a big step in finding the solution.
Hint guide will be released as microtransactions, $1 per clue

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#25 Post by Helianthus »

Greeny wrote:Well it says this in the READ ME but the fast-forward button is for puzzle skipping. It's only available for puzzles above your difficulty setting.
Oh, I totally forgot there was a puzzle-skipping feature function. That explains a lot, thank you :oops: ! So the game saw I was terrible at solving the puzzle and pitied me, hun :cry: . (And the Rewind button is more of a narrative tool, I suppose)
Muzozavr wrote:Wait... what screamer? Granted, I never tried to r*****d from "game over", but I've never heard the game screaming at me. I've heard other... stuff, though.
Now that I think of it, we were too busy screaming ourselves for me to remember if the little surprise was making any noise, so the word "screamer" may not be accurate ^^'.

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#26 Post by frederic09 »

this game is a complete madness. I decided to record my "blind" play with fraps, and i got a game over after 30 minutes.

I wasn't expecting that, so the 1st part will be this "first attempt".

By the way, i loved seeing the loop in the computer :D Damn clown x)

edit : Omg you are crazy ! I screamed on one of your scenes :
(the ring remake)
I had almost an heart attack.

God, it shocked me that much that had to try to interrupt my attempt to find the solution. So the second part is a little bit shorter :D

I will solve all the puzzles, it's only a matter of time.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#27 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

oh wow. there's a lot of comments here about finding the game scary. I guess I'm in the minority then, in that I find it rather tame. I zoned out the voices rather quickly (though that might be because I dislike putting the volume at the normal level). I also found the [mannequin?] to be somewhat lame. It just stays there in plain view while the mc doesn't bother interacting with it. other than that, I'm not really sure what was supposed to be frightening. I haven't played very far though (1 "game ov-").

there's a couple things I find odd about this game (regarding design, not story):

--the game was resetting really quickly. I was playing on what looked like the hard mode, but it still gets annoying to have it reset before I've finished checking all the stuff in a single room.

--the tv is more interesting than the rest of the areas that are open at the start of the game.

--the connections between rooms didn't seem coherent. besides not having any indication of which way the mc just came from, I think there's an inconsistency in how the kitchen connects to the living room.

--is there really any difference between rewinding at the game over screen and simply loading a save or restarting?

I'll continue playing later since I'm still curious about the puzzle. I do like the point-and-click interface better than the menus in your last game.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#28 Post by Caveat Lector »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:I also found the [mannequin?] to be somewhat lame. It just stays there in plain view while the mc doesn't bother interacting with it.
My interpretation of it is
it's actually the protagonist, disconnected from themselves, and it depicts the gradual lead-up to the protagonist's suicide. At first, I thought it represented someone in the protagonist's life whom they were trying to escape from, and someone who might've hurt them in the past, but after I got the first "Game Over" and chose "rewind", I ended up in some kind of hell/purgatory place, which showed paintings with a very bloody theme, and one of someone's bandages slipping off their bloody wrists. Plus, the mannequin is in another room, in a locked cell staring at a small black-and-white TV that shows messages like "dead on the inside" and "just end it". I think that if you fail to solve the first puzzle(s), the protagonist commits suicide from going insane over not being able to find the right "answer" (and probably also a variety of other factors). Maybe Greeny will step in and say otherwise, but I'm pretty sure that's what the mannequin is supposed to be.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:--is there really any difference between rewinding at the game over screen and simply loading a save or restarting?
Actually, yes. The details are described in the spoiler space. (Unless it's another part of the game and wasn't supposed to be there by design...?)
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#29 Post by frederic09 »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:oh wow. there's a lot of comments here about finding the game scary. I guess I'm in the minority then, in that I find it rather tame. I zoned out the voices rather quickly (though that might be because I dislike putting the volume at the normal level). I also found the [mannequin?] to be somewhat lame. It just stays there in plain view while the mc doesn't bother interacting with it. other than that, I'm not really sure what was supposed to be frightening. I haven't played very far though (1 "game ov-").
I played twice the game (2 game over), in the intermediate level.

The game is not that scary... I just found 2 things who made me jump from my chair, and one who made me scream.

The funny stuff for now is the TV and the barometer.

For the mannequin i think the person we control doesn't (or don't want to) see it. It's probably a part of himself ? I don't know yet.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:--the game was resetting really quickly. I was playing on what looked like the hard mode, but it still gets annoying to have it reset before I've finished checking all the stuff in a single room.
The first "run" is pretty fast, but more the loops you do, more time you have... probably. Depends on the stuff you choose to see.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:--the tv is more interesting than the rest of the areas that are open at the start of the game.
Lol, there's probably a connection with one of the puzzle. Otherwise it wouldn't be there. Or am i wrong ?
KimiYoriBaka wrote:--the connections between rooms didn't seem coherent. besides not having any indication of which way the mc just came from, I think there's an inconsistency in how the kitchen connects to the living room.
Yes, not seeing where we go is a little problematic. But i draw a map on a paper and there's nothing wrong. No problem with the kitchen and the living room.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:--is there really any difference between rewinding at the game over screen and simply loading a save or restarting?
I don't know, i havn't tried... yet.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:I'll continue playing later since I'm still curious about the puzzle. I do like the point-and-click interface better than the menus in your last game.
The puzzle looks like it's so difficult. That's why the game is called "the madness". We will become crazy by trying to solve everything :D
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Greeny »

I may have forgotten to mention this, but it is a mindfuck game. Trust nothing. Especially not me. Especially not right now.
oh wow. there's a lot of comments here about finding the game scary. I guess I'm in the minority then, in that I find it rather tame.
It's not really supposed to be all that scary. Yet.
--the connections between rooms didn't seem coherent. besides not having any indication of which way the mc just came from, I think there's an inconsistency in how the kitchen connects to the living room.
It's like this:
[living][kitchen ]
[living][hallway]
--the tv is more interesting than the rest of the areas that are open at the start of the game.
Just like in real life! :lol: