How to do politically correct writting (a simple trick)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: How to do politically correct writting (a simple trick)

#16 Post by DaFool »

Jake wrote: Probably beside the point, but... England, and not Spain?
Mokenju mentioned that she moved. I think it was Spain -> England.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#17 Post by Enerccio »

I don't understand what is all this about...
There are few differences:

All you see wrong in NT is your imagination... things like Hitler etc... If it would be in Japan or somewhere it is still story placed in middle age when these things were common.

On other side, take movie Hostel - It disgraced my country, because it was placed right into main city, which was mentioned there (and it was filmed in Czech though...) and stuff like that... but still, it is theirs fiction so I cannot do anything about it...
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#18 Post by rocket »

Jake wrote:
mikey wrote:It's a bit weird, admittedly, Die nette Stadt and all that
That said, my Dad just finished reading a book ('Sign of the Cross', IIRC) by an American author, which features 'Dover University', supposedly founded in the reign of Elizabeth I and featuring buildings designed by Christopher Wren, which is as respected and influential as Oxford and Cambridge and only a short train ride on the local line from London - and he spent an hour or so ranting about this book. Although I don't think he was so much offended by the bizarre lie perpetrated upon the reader as the author's sheer laziness and lack of research, and the poor writing also featured quite heavily in his complaint. ;-)
It sounds like that author may have been trying to follow the fictitious setting advice. I mean it sounds like he wanted to set the story in Oxford, but "not really" because he might offend some people. Instead he offends others. Ah well...

I'm not sure the role of art is to be inoffensive... I think it's just to be engaging or not. NT did it for me in a big way. :-)

DaFool,
Hmm... I wonder if a game starring Afghanis-tan would be fatwa worthy? ^_-

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by monele »

Wow... if I expected something to stir some trouble up in NT, I thought it would be the rape ô_o... not the cute fictious Germany. As others have said, it happens all the time... and actually, I think it's part of the charm of ignorance. Of course, I too get bored of being thought of as a guy with a moustache, a beret, a bread baguette and some pajamas, on a bike. But hey... it's also kinda amusing that it stays, even after so many years :).
Japanese have Engrish... and they love to butcher a lot of things about France and the US in a general way. But it's never done in a mean way... it's always done with love.
It's like a foreign friend trying to talk your language as they're learning. Of course they'll make a lot of mistakes... but are you going to yell at them for messing up and not learning how to talk perfectly before even opening their mouth?... Uhh...

One of my projects actually takes inspiration from a majority of civilizations/countries (US, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Japan...) and it's all done with love. Of course not everything will be right and there will be a lot of clichés... but unless it's downright insulting, I don't think it'll be a problem, right?........ right?...

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#20 Post by Der Tor »

Right.

*sighs that he won't be able to play through a game that he might have liked cause he can't get over all those confused sterotypes and puts it in a box with all the other 'Gelman' anime games he knows from Japan and hopes that other Germans won't find it* (-:

One last thing besides from the issues some people will allways have with your games, i think the games of all of you as a whole are really getting better. And some of you are doin commercial games, and i like to encourage that.

One person can't be like great at everything like programming, drawing, writting, background knowledge, composing etc. So sure there allways gonna be more or less obvious flaws in one-man games. But if you would cooperate better with one another, i think you could really reach comercial standards by now. Some of the games are pretty close allready and that includes NetteStadt - which makes it even more sad that i can't get over the flaws (and of course things like the rape and the perverted writting didn't exactly help at that either). But if you would improove those things, i think it could really reach commercial standards.

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:Of course, I too get bored of being thought of as a guy with a moustache, a beret, a bread baguette and some pajamas, on a bike.
Oh man, you mean that's not how you are? Seriously? That's the image I've always had...

:P
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#22 Post by papillon »

:lol:

Related point - a few people got upset about a couple seconds of footage in the season finale of Doctor Who this year (this is NOT a spoiler) because they at one point cut to some 'Americans' and it was a bunch of people all wearing football jerseys or varsity jackets, draped in red-white-and-blue, eating pizza and fried chicken, etc... Is it a stereotype? Of course! But is it worth getting upset over a few seconds of 'Generic America' that was clearly not serious in a non-serious program? Sheeeeeeesh.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#23 Post by Sailor Kitty »

(to jake)

BWAHAHA!

Seriously, thats funny as hell.

[quote="monele"]Of course, I too get bored of being thought of as a guy with a moustache, a beret, a bread baguette and some pajamas, on a bike. But hey... it's also kinda amusing that it stays, even after so many years :).quote]

Well, at least you kinda get the better stereotype.

You should see what they say about sweden...
Like we eat crawfish, so naturally, we must eat a lot of odd things, say, rats liver?

And of course we have snow and ice all year round, and of corse we have polar bears on the streets. Oh, and yes, everybody here is blue-eyed blonds and we live in log-cabins.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#24 Post by PyTom »

papillon >>> Of course, there was at least one episode of the 2005 series where the Doctor went to America (albeit in 2012). I don't recall being overly offended by this episode. Stereotypical depictions are often used when you want to show that characters are of an unusual ethnicity, but don't want to spend much time on the point.
Sailor Kitty wrote: You should see what they say about sweden...
I hear they have a really good bikini team.
I can't over-emphasize how disappointed I was to find out that the Swedish Bikini Team was not, in fact, real.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by DaFool »

Jake >> You forgot the glasses :wink:

Der Tor >> The whole reason for the one-man effort was because I knew that I was going to be pushing boundaries, and rather than rope other people with me to take the fall, why not do it all since I have the basic skills?

I also have been pushing for the commercial / professionalization of Ren'Py games (*cough* epic length *cough*), and my work on other projects has been leading up to my vision, which is The Nettestadt Troll we see here today.

I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it is mine, give or take a few compromises due to time and budget.

That said, if it is felt that the professional look is wasted on something 'perverted', I will welcome alternate stories using the resource stock of Nettestadt... written by more experienced writers (e.g. Taleweaver, I'm just using him as an example because he's German), as long as I am made aware of it first. This will open up the experience to more potential players, many of whom cannot access a decidedly hentai game. It's because the way my vision works, there's no way I can imagine a non-hentai version currently.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

Ooohhh, ohhhh Jake! I'm le shocked! You have offendeud moi! Cornichon de Cornouaille va! Thiz won't go unpunished, oh non! I'll be getting ready to fire ze missilez... but first I must take a nap >.>... Bonsoir!

Actually I'm saving this because this is too hilarious XD

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#27 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Man, this is really eye-opening. I guess I have a skewed vision of a lot of foreign countries. But you'd be surprised how many people think California is a glamorous place with gorgeous beaches everywhere and movie stars walking down the boardwalk. I tell people I'm from California and they ask, "Why aren't you tan?" -_-;; Uhhh... Oh, I do get a lot of, "Can you surf?" Not everyone in California surfs!! And people have a very skewed image of Hollywood. That it's glamorous and beautiful. Hollywood is a, pardon my French, shit-hole that even rats would not like to live in. Downtown Los Angeles is even worse.

But I am guilty of the exact same thing. I have a lot of misconceptions about foreign countries. Like people in England drink tea all the time. XD (I've gotten past that one).

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#28 Post by Enerccio »

monele wrote:Ooohhh, ohhhh Jake! I'm le shocked! You have offendeud moi! Cornichon de Cornouaille va! Thiz won't go unpunished, oh non! I'll be getting ready to fire ze missilez... but first I must take a nap >.>... Bonsoir!

Actually I'm saving this because this is too hilarious XD
lol this is from that flash movie right?
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#29 Post by papillon »

And people have a very skewed image of Hollywood. That it's glamorous and beautiful. Hollywood is a, pardon my French, shit-hole that even rats would not like to live in. Downtown Los Angeles is even worse.
Haven't been there, but I was surprised at just how 'wow, I'm in a streetcrime tv set!' certain areas of San Francisco were... Nothing bad happened to us, but I'm quite certain I've seen shows filmed in the areas we were walking through... not quite the hippie paradise! San Fran is a whole bunch of different weirdnesses all piled into one.
Like people in England drink tea all the time.
... well, no, that part's true. If my mother-in-law steps through the door she expects someone to immediately offer her a cup of tea. My husband even feeds tea to repairmen if they stop by... :)

Jake
Support Hero

#30 Post by Jake »

papillon wrote:
Like people in England drink tea all the time.
... well, no, that part's true.
Well, no, that's part true.

I don't even like tea - not black tea, anyway - but I'll still offer it to anyone who enters the house. It's just polite, you know? For all that it seems a silly stereotype, I can't remember the last time I was in a house that didn't have tea readily available. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found