DVD compatible?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sasuya
Regular

DVD compatible?

#1 Post by Sasuya »

I was just thinking... (I'm just taking a shot in the dark by the way o.O I'm not even sure if this is possible...)
If a completed game was able to be burned onto a DVD do you think it would be able to be played on a DVD player? So visual novels can not only be played on a computer, but you can play it on a TV too. I mean, I know it's not going to work only if you just burn it on there... I'm still looking into this more... Just thought it would be a cool idea :P

Oh and sorry if I put this topic in the wrong place o.O

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Re: DVD compatible?

#2 Post by Der Tor »

that's not gonna work with Python (at least not on a normal DVD player). But if you use something else than Ren'Py it might work... depends on what you use... i know some pretty cool Programs which would easily allow you to do this, and are as easy to use as Ren'Py. (it's just that those programm are not specificly designed to create visual novels, but they can be USED to make visual novels just the same).

I once used Aqua Soft Diashow XP to make a pretty good presentation which could be played on DVD players: http://downloads.faluninfo.de/diashows/ ... olgung.zip

I used a 3 year old version to make this. The new versions have even more features and allow for more user interactivity, so you shouldn't have a problem making visual novels with it.

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#3 Post by Recca Phoenix »

With the right stuff (iDVD could possibly do it?) you might be able to make games with video segments followed by menus with choices, sort of like a less advanced Dragon's Lair.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#4 Post by Counter Arts »

Hmm... if you want something like the complexity of Hourglass of Summer on a dvd player...

You'll need to learn about NFAs and DFAs and how to convert a NFA into a DFA.

However, if it's something like day of love and amusment park on DVD or a choose your own adventure on a dvd... then a tree structure plot can be done.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

it took me ages to find a dvd player that could even partly play hourglass of summer, and it was such a pain to deal with that I still haven't bothered with the game despite everyone saying how great it was... stick with PC. :)