Navigation Menu Help?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jacobjumper
Regular
Projects: Familiarity
Organization: Airheart

Navigation Menu Help?

#1 Post by jacobjumper »

How would I change the original navigation menu to a pop up style where it appears in the middle of the screen? I know it's really basic but I'm stuck...

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Navigation Menu Help?

#2 Post by akemicchi »

This is for the title menu, right? Open up your screen.rpy and scroll down to screen main_menu. There should be a frame block there. Change xalign and yalign to 0.5 like so:

Code: Select all

# The main menu buttons.
    frame:
        style_group "mm"
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5
I'm not sure what you mean by pop-up style though, so tell me if this isn't what you wanted. :)

jacobjumper
Regular

#3 Post by jacobjumper »

Umm.. it kind of helped. I would however like to know how to get rid of the default stuff. That would help me so much

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets

#4 Post by akemicchi »

'Default stuff'? I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the buttons themselves? Change the text? Change the look entirely? I can't really imagine you're asking to get rid of the main menu, because how can players choose to start the game? xD

jacobjumper
Regular

#5 Post by jacobjumper »

See there? And I planned on redesigning it with custom images.

akemicchi
Veteran

#6 Post by akemicchi »

Oh! Why don't you just hide everything with a comment, then? (Starting every line with #) Rather, hiding/deleting the line use file_picker in the screen save and screen load?

jacobjumper
Regular

#7 Post by jacobjumper »

Everything?

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in script
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 318, in python
Exception: Screen u'navigation' is not known.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 720, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1308, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1853, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2095, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 246, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 246, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 248, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2095, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 166, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 266, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1217, in __call__
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1308, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 318, in <module>
    use navigation
  File "C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\renpy-6.16.5-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 579, in use_screen
    raise Exception("Screen %r is not known." % name)
Exception: Screen u'navigation' is not known.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.16.5.525
Familiarity 0.0
It gives me a lot of errors. Is there anyway I can just change it so that code doesn't appear? Sorry if I seem like an idiot...

akemicchi
Veteran

#8 Post by akemicchi »

No no no, not everything! Sorry, that's bad advice! Hahaha. ;;; Put everything back.

Just hide use file_picker from screen save and screen load. Does that work? Just add a # in front of it so you can uncomment it later just in case something wrong happens. (Like deleting everything, haha, don't do that x'D)

jacobjumper
Regular

#9 Post by jacobjumper »

Oh my goodness it worked thank you! !

akemicchi
Veteran

#10 Post by akemicchi »

No problem! Glad it worked, haha.