Asylum [Fantasy][SF][Mystery][Drama][Romance] - DEMO UP!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Rindaviir
Projects: Asylum

Asylum [Fantasy][SF][Mystery][Drama][Romance] - DEMO UP!

#1 Post by Rindaviir »

*waves shyly to everyone on the forums* So... apperentely that is also my very first post.... hello, nice to meet you all ^^
I came by this forum while searching for more information about Ren'Py engine and Python programming while creating my first VN game :3
So, here it is:

You wake up, finding yourself a total stranger to the world of Asylum, a world filled with emptiness and despair, and recalling no more than your name. Chased like an animal, captured and tortured, you have to choose to either serve your captors or spend the rest of your life in dungeons…
…will you dare to trust them? Or try to find your own way in this world and achieve your revenge?
Solve the mystery awaiting you at the end - or die trying.

• Protagonist is fully customizable - along with name and gender. YES, gender has influence in story (the reception of characters can be totally different depending on your gender.) Both me and my co-author are veteran RPers so we do try on giving as uch freedom in choices and developing ones character as possible!
  • YES, there are statistics here - yet it’s not dating nor raising sim! More like RPG when statistics do influence the storyline…!
  • Establishing relationships within characters and convincing them to help us will progress the storyline. Also, there will be romances implemented, for both genders.
  • There are also random events with random effects - for example: deciding on training melee combat might result in you hitting your knee with hilt or hurting yourself with blade - the result might wary: from change in statistics to unlocking new event :3
  • Some statistics unlock special events and might help getting positive effect of some events
  • Also, one certain statistic - when raised - might give you some insight in world’s lore :)
Project has its own tumblr blog site, so for more information about Characters and Storyline I would advise on checking here :) The site still needs some major updates but since now I'm in the middle of exam session these must wait T_T

As for some screenies:

And characters:

Image Image
Name: Badbh
Quote: "…feel free to remind me why I should give a damn?"
Data: Carefree and laid-back Captain of the Crows, Badbh can usually be found around the Headquarters, running missions for her beloved Crows. Her position within the Court is unknown, as well as her relationship with the Prefect… for some reason both seem rather on edge.
Her joking, happy-go-lucky attitude can easily change into a serious one so stay alert…
Image Image
Name: Escard
Quote: "…tsk… weaklings… such an irrational waste of space and breathing air. Now now, be so kind and move yourself elsewhere."
Data: Last of the three Captains, Escard is the head of the Martial Squad. Known as the Grand Judge, the first one making decisions and giving punishment for crime, the man is famous for his cold, cruel attitude and objectivity when giving punishment. His judgement might be harsh - but it is always fair.
Close friend of Badbh - for some reason the girl seems to be the only one able to bear with his arrogant self for longer than five minutes.
Image Image
Name: Nero/Neri
Quote: "…Nero do this… Nero do THAT… *groan* …I find myself HUGELY underpaid for that kind of shit."
Data: Lieutenant of a Combat Squad, Nero is responsible for the guards and barracks - usually treated as pushover by his superiors, he seems a bit snarky and easily irritable.
In free time, he is mostly found training in faux environments, hoping to one day pass his tests to get into the Crow Squad.
Image Image
Name: Amargein
Quote: "…with all due respect - you may kiss my posterior… Sir."
Data: Head of the Reserach Squad, Amargein proves to be a rather… eccentric individual. Apart from his strange habits of drinking coffee directly from test-tubes, he can be found taking naps in the most unusual of places.
The creator of Modules, many times mentioned as close friend of Prefect.

Image Image
Name: Ariassa
Quote: “Is there anything I can help you with?” *her eyes stray back to her book*
Data: A member of the Research Squad under Amargein, she is devoted to her work, often found poring over code and rarely seen without at least one book in hand. Highly intelligent and moral, she seems to be in a strange love/hate relationship with her boss, constantly arguing with him over the implementation of his modules but for some reason still accepting his quirks and helping him.
Getting more than a few sentences out of her that aren’t related to her work might prove challenging.

Pardon if my post is still lacking some information - I would gladly answer given questions AND will try to update the topic with new information as soon as possible!
For now, the most recent news are within the blog :3

[UPDATE 1 - 03.02.2014]
Blog site was given:
  • Whole page about Squads, Information about Characters belonging to them
  • In 'ask me anything' option we've given you the chance to post In Character questions to one specified Character :) So, if you feel like asking, post your name (or rather your IC name), your Squad and be respectful ^^ It is meant to be fun for everyone in time the demo arrives :D
[UPDATE 2 - 05.02.2014]
Blog site was given:
  • Storyline, Character updates
  • Added logo and banner
[UPDATE 3 - 12.02.2014]
Preparing demo for beta-RELEASE!
Few notifications:
  • Game will be at least 16+ (due to especially one pareticular character) :P
  • That is still beta version, till full release of the game the graphics and style of menu will change - I do hope it won't discourage some: I wanted to make the release as soon as possible so you guys won't have to wait for it much longer and meet the characters and maybe comment on what you did and did not enjoy ;)
  • If you want demo that will look like final version of the game I might post it on later parts, now me and my partner simply concentrated on story and proofreading ^^
  • Demo will be on days - maybe tonight/tomorrow. Depends if no trouble will come on the way nor proofreading will take too long.
[UPDATE 4 - 13.02.2014]
Demo is ON. :D You can download it from HERE
We still work on uploading it on LemmaSoft :)

[UPDATE 5 - 20.02.2014]
Added new female character (route in progress).
Game has now:
  • 3 female characters
  • 3 male characters
  • 2 secret characters (3 if you count mysterious Prefect :3)
  • All of them having friendship/romance routes (for players of both genders. The list of routes possible for each gender soon to be added!)
Last edited by Rindaviir on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am, edited 14 times in total.

DeletedUser160413

Re: Asylum [Mystery, GxG, GxB, BxG, BxB]

#2 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

I absolutely love the art style. Good luck on your project! :)

2dt
Regular

#3 Post by 2dt »

Question. Maybe I missed it while reading, but is this the final artwork (black and white?), or are these just samples? Nothing wrong with either, just wondering.

Art looks great. Where did you get the background art, or did you make those yourself?

As to your battle mode, I feel like you already have way too much on your plate with the other stuff. The story looks incredibly expansive as it is. I would suggest adding battle mode ONLY if you finish everything else far ahead of schedule (which almost never happens) and it is somehow essential to the story. Please don't add a battle mode just 'cause it sounds cool.

Looking forward to it.

Rindaviir

#4 Post by Rindaviir »

No, it is supposed to be the black and white - wanted to give it manga-esque touch to it and no, backgrounds are not my work ;)
At least - I would say - partially. These are Sketchup linearts with my details drawn to and joined into one art piece along with shading.

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

#5 Post by Sleipnir56 »

I really like the story to this. It's really cool and it only helps that the game is a Mystery. Also, the art is very
beautiful. It kind of looks like Bleach, if you know what that is. Anyway, good luck with this game and I hope you get it out soon :D

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Monochrome art is an interesting choice. I personally like it. I say this admitting that one of my old favorite comics started in B&W and later had color versions... and comparing the two, I don't think that adding color to the art improved it.
Rindaviir wrote: [*]Protagonist is fully customizable - along with name and gender. YES, gender has influence in story (the reception of characters can be totally different depending on your gender.) Both me and my co-author are weteren RPers so we do try on giving as uch freedom in choices and developing ones character as possible!
[*]YES, there are statistics here - yet it’s not dating nor raising sim! More like RPG when statistics do influence the storyline…!
[*]Establishing relationships within characters and convincing them to help us will progress the storyline. Also, there will be romances implemented, for both genders.
[*]There are also random events with random effects - for example: deciding on training melee combat might result in you hitting your knee with hilt or hurting yourself with blade - the result might wary: from change in statistics to unlocking new event :3
[*]Some statistics unlock special events and might help getting positive effect of some events
How committed are you to this project? I know this is a challenging question. But since the scope of your project is large and complex, it's one to consider. Think about how much time and effort you can commit to it. This leads right into other similar challenging questions...

* How will you persevere if coding becomes a chore?
* How will you fight boredom and story frustration?
* Do you already have deadlines in place for getting parts of it done? If not, will you benefit by giving yourself deadlines?
* Are you planning to sell the final product, or do you intend to distribute it as freeware?

One last thing... there are some gameplay concepts I've heard about in WRPGs that sound appealing. I made a couple attempts to get into modern era games such as KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins, but both ended in frustration. I don't think I had the right mindset, or enough maturity to appreciate them.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#7 Post by noeinan »

Looks awesome! I'll be watching out for future updates. :)

Rindaviir

#8 Post by Rindaviir »

Sleipnir56 wrote:I really like the story to this. It's really cool and it only helps that the game is a Mystery. Also, the art is very
beautiful. It kind of looks like Bleach, if you know what that is. Anyway, good luck with this game and I hope you get it out soon :D
Yes it is based on Tite Kubo graphics a bit since I love his graphic style :D but not entirely ;) I tend to draw few females and males differently but for ex. Escard is made based off his style.
As silent tribute for Bleach series, I did used Bleach music in it as well - though it's only for demo I'm supposed to give on classes, will have to change it before official demo release :P
gekiganwing wrote:Monochrome art is an interesting choice. I personally like it. I say this admitting that one of my old favorite comics started in B&W and later had color versions... and comparing the two, I don't think that adding color to the art improved it.
Rindaviir wrote: [*]Protagonist is fully customizable - along with name and gender. YES, gender has influence in story (the reception of characters can be totally different depending on your gender.) Both me and my co-author are weteren RPers so we do try on giving as uch freedom in choices and developing ones character as possible!
[*]YES, there are statistics here - yet it’s not dating nor raising sim! More like RPG when statistics do influence the storyline…!
[*]Establishing relationships within characters and convincing them to help us will progress the storyline. Also, there will be romances implemented, for both genders.
[*]There are also random events with random effects - for example: deciding on training melee combat might result in you hitting your knee with hilt or hurting yourself with blade - the result might wary: from change in statistics to unlocking new event :3
[*]Some statistics unlock special events and might help getting positive effect of some events
How committed are you to this project? I know this is a challenging question. But since the scope of your project is large and complex, it's one to consider. Think about how much time and effort you can commit to it. This leads right into other similar challenging questions...

* Do you already have deadlines in place for getting parts of it done? If not, will you benefit by giving yourself deadlines?
* Are you planning to sell the final product, or do you intend to distribute it as freeware?

One last thing... there are some gameplay concepts I've heard about in WRPGs that sound appealing. I made a couple attempts to get into modern era games such as KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins, but both ended in frustration. I don't think I had the right mindset, or enough maturity to appreciate them.
  • I wouldn't worry about my commitment to the project - I have sentiment both to story and characters, also I do work on it in my every spare minute (though project now has to wait for me to finish exams). I was interested in hypertexts and hypertext based games since few years now, and like I said - I am old weteran RPer which should help :3
  • What boredom and story frustration? :)
  • I do tend to work on it loosely - I tend to finish work before deadlines anyways, I use them only for my university work. Don't worry, I will post updates regularily. Would toss you all demo already if it weren't for me trying to figure out with what music replace the one I already do have.
  • I do plan on making it freeware. First part (which will be whole closed story, with closed romances and such) - as for the next ones, I can't say but if it worked out maybe I could create commercial studio, who knows :)
Last edited by Rindaviir on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rinari

#9 Post by Rinari »

gekiganwing wrote:Monochrome art is an interesting choice. I personally like it. I say this admitting that one of my old favorite comics started in B&W and later had color versions... and comparing the two, I don't think that adding color to the art improved it.

So hi guys! I'm the girl Rinda here persuaded to become her helper--not that it took much convincing. ;)
I know Rinda mostly answered some of the questions here, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

As of right now, I'm mostly the proofreader (since she's not a native English speaker, though her English is good as you can see) but I've also helped a bit with the storyline, talked over ideas, etc. I'd have to say that she's very motivated to finish this, and I think the interactive element while making it helps a bit--for me as well.
And if she does ever want a break from coding or wants someone else to implement the battle mode, well--I'm studying computer sciences, so I like code! :3
As for story frustration--haven't seen any so far, no.

Great questions, though, and good things to think about especially for someone just starting out on their first game.

And I love her black-and-white art as well. ;)

Rindaviir

#10 Post by Rindaviir »

AAARIIII, おはよう!
And yes, you can toss any questions to Ari or me :)
She played the game and the demo and participates actively in art development by giving insightful critiques ;) Plus, she knows most of the characters quite well *cough* :3

Rindaviir

Re: Asylum [Mystery, GxG, GxB, BxG, BxB] - Update 1

#11 Post by Rindaviir »

First update: check the blog - we've added the 'ask characters' option in case one would like to have a feel of the lore/characters before demo's official release ^^
Like I said, it is supposed to be fun for everyone and give the ones interested some insight to the story :3 The rules are also explained on the blog.

Rindaviir

Re: Asylum [Mystery, GxG, GxB, BxG, BxB] - Update 2

#12 Post by Rindaviir »

Update 2: Added logo and menu art design

ppppantsu
Veteran
Completed: Haruman, DMMd Fan VN, Fetish 1.0, Fetish: ESC, Colors~AU~, Fetish: Wanted, Incolore
itch: soraille

#13 Post by ppppantsu »

can I ask if you're Kubo Tite's fan? because your art style-- ;w; :oops:

I'm super bias to Kubo-sensei's art style, he's my favorite artist too so your game screenies caught my attention and omfg, you're such a wonderful artist. *A*

will look forward to this oooooone <3

Rindaviir

#14 Post by Rindaviir »

ppppantsu wrote:can I ask if you're Kubo Tite's fan? because your art style-- ;w; :oops:

I'm super bias to Kubo-sensei's art style, he's my favorite artist too so your game screenies caught my attention and omfg, you're such a wonderful artist. *A*

Heh, yes I believe I've mentioned that I am his fan and that his works do influence my art style ;)
And thank you for the compliment ^.^

ppppantsu
Veteran
Completed: Haruman, DMMd Fan VN, Fetish 1.0, Fetish: ESC, Colors~AU~, Fetish: Wanted, Incolore
itch: soraille

#15 Post by ppppantsu »

Rindaviir wrote:
ppppantsu wrote:can I ask if you're Kubo Tite's fan? because your art style-- ;w; :oops:

Heh, yes I believe I've mentioned that I am his fan and that his works do influence my art style ;)
And thank you for the compliment ^.^
sorry, :oops: I didn't read through the post and directly posted a reply since I was too enamored by the style. The black and white screenies though definitely have some cool attitude to it, fuuuuu.

good luck to your project! *A* :o