Seeking Artists - Background, Character, and Others

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Hamlet7768
IRC Nick: PhilipMarlowe

Seeking Artists - Background, Character, and Others

#1 Post by Hamlet7768 »

Post has been significantly edited from its original posting as "Seeking Artists and Proofreader". Script may now be found here.

Hullo all. I'm in the process of writing a visual novel, presently titled "Death on the Rails." A brief overview of the project: Edward Lewis, an apprentice of the private detective organisation "The UK Agency" is leaving home with his mentor, Cecil Grey. While on the train, Edward is unexpectedly attacked and knocked out. He wakes up a half-hour later to find the train stopped and emptied, and Cecil Grey beaten to death in his seat. As a final duty to his mentor, Edward joins with the police to find out who killed him and why.

During the VN, the reader must make sense of three conflicting accounts and find the killer. There are three endings.

I'm handling all of the writing duties, and have been collaborating with a programmer, so I believe we have those areas covered. I will update this post if we have need of another programmer, or another writer, but I intend to write all of this myself if possible. Anyway. In addition to the partial script written, the rest of the VN's plot is outlined and ready to be written. School gets in the way, though, and I can only write so fast.

In terms of art assets required:
  • Character sprites for 8-9 characters, with 2-4 expressions each
    9 Backgrounds, with time-of-day variations for 4 of them
    Unknown number of special CG Scenes. Will update once the script is completed.
In terms of the art style, I'm relatively open. My main requirement is that it must be black-and-white and realistic. By "realistic" I don't mean photorealism; I mean no wacky hair styles or unrealistic proportions in the characters. Something like Hotel Dusk might be interesting, but by no means required. Artist should also be either familiar with the areas around Bristol, UK, or willing to research them for drawing purposes.

I am also intending to expand the VN with another, shorter, story, possibly in kinetic form, that exploreds another perspective. This will require a slight expansion of the above art assets, but a very slight one. One more character sprite with two expressions and one or two new backgrounds will be all that's necessary for that. This part may be scrapped, though, depending on how well I can make it work.

These positions will not be paid. This is a volunteer project. As this is my first project, making it commercial doesn't seem like a very good idea.