Can't Say Goodbye [NaNoReNo 2014] [Fantasy/Mystery]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
coffin-tan

Can't Say Goodbye [NaNoReNo 2014] [Fantasy/Mystery]

#1 Post by coffin-tan »

Can't Say Goodbye
A young lady named Shears wakes up in a quiet and nearly-empty castle with her memories gone and the Earl -the only living tenant in the castle besides her- is no less mysterious than the castle itself. Nevertheless he promises to take good care of our heroine. Shears has a feeling that something's wrong and it is up to you and the decisions you make to find out whatever's hidden around the castle, and possibly know more about the Earl as well.

Themes
Mystery, Fantasy, Supernatural, Romance

Characters

Shears
The heroine.
Because of the memory loss, she has no idea why she got stuck inside the castle. A bit shy and reclusive.

the Earl
A young man who takes care of Shears as she stays in the castle. He prepares the food and keeps Shears company whenever she feels lonely (ooooh creepy). He's a gentle person oh really now?

Time
A deity that comes to mess around with the Earl.

Progress
Story Outlining/Summary: 96% -I just need to clean some stuff up and add more details.
Art: ...
Script: 5%
GUI: 100%
I've given up on trying to make my own GUI so I'll be using Ren'Py's instead.

Notes
Hi guys, this will be my first OELVN project and I am totally pumped up with it. This will also be the first time wherein I am going to work hard and make some effort hehehe :lol: *sweatdrops* ('coz I'm actually a lazy person in real life). When I was on Tumblr, I saw this post about NaNoReNo 2014 coming up and I was like, woah... I'd better go and participate in the event. So now, here I am (yay~) with Can't Say Goodbye. The title is a total spoiler *cough*. It is the product of my obsession of yanderes. More shall be posted later on...

Some Clarifications
-This is not the kind of game where you have to click around the background and find items so that the story can progress. Nope. It really isn't. It plays out as a VN with choices and you decide on what action to take. nothin' special yo
-Currently has 4 endings. But it isn't final yet. (I've written the endings on my handy dandy notebook).
-This isn't much of a funny/humorous kind of story. It's a bit dark actually.

My Questions yo
I would be so happy if you guys could answer some of these:

1. You guys approve of yanderes right? *blink blink*
(just one for now...)
feedback appreciated :3

p.s. Steamgirl, the guest who replied to your message is actually me. I guess something happened with the wi-fi connection when I was replying to your post and it ended up logging me out and I became a guest instead :0

Updates:
March 8, 2014- Current word count is 500+ Ahahaha. A bit short as of now... :oops: I'm also working on the character art -_- I just downloaded a crack version of Photoshop (yay) and oh my gosh, making lineart has been made 10x easier. All those brushes kyaaa.

I'm a bit late on schedule :( I was suppose to finish the concept art but thanks to Sengoku Basara I was unable to do so -__-

Whoaaa it seems I couldn't finish this in time :0
I guess I'll place this in the WIP section (not nanoreno) in my free time >,<. Congratulations to those who finished!! You guys are awesome :) and for those who read this thread, I thank you as well.
Last edited by coffin-tan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Can't Say Goodbye [NaNoReNo 2014] [Fantasy/Mystery]

#2 Post by Steamgirl »

Ooo like the sound of this! I don't think Shears is weird for a surname? As in, Lady Shears? But hey, it's fantasy - do what you want! :)

No idea what yandere is. I had to google it. It doesn't sound... nice? Just insane and violent?
Last edited by Steamgirl on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

#3 Post by Guest »

asdfzklghj!! A response!!! Hello~
Steamgirl wrote:Ooo like the sound of this! I don't think Shears is weird for a surname? And in, Lady Shears? But hey, it's fantasy - do what you want! :)
Thank goodness ^_^;
p.s. Lady Shears sounds nice.
Steamgirl wrote:No idea what yandere is. I had to google it. It doesn't sound... nice? Just insane and violent?
And is also a psycho and an obsessive character oh-- and the yandere's craziness is closely tied with love. :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I love mysteries ^^. Good luck on your first project C:.

Sure I can be down for that if it's done well X3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

coffin-tan

#5 Post by coffin-tan »

Googaboga wrote:I love mysteries ^^. Good luck on your first project C:.

Sure I can be down for that if it's done well X3.
I will do my best :3

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#6 Post by shortycake »

Gonna play this game! I love mystery games! ^ 7 ^

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Hmmm . . . amnesia, a castle, a mysterious person . . . all pretty common elements in a mystery. Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what you do with these things.

To answer your question, I have no particular problems with that character trope as long as the character to which it is applied is engaging and believable. But I don't think saying, "Oh, I'm thinking of including a yandere character. What should I do?" should be how you go about it. If you define a character too much before really writing, you risk setting limitations on him or her. If you create a character who, in the process of being fleshed out, seems connected to a particular archetype but is still strong enough to be more than that, you're on the right track. Don't create a character with the sole intent of filling a role---if you write well, your characters will find their own places in the story.

Best wishes!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#8 Post by shortycake »

I second to that ^

cuz we love all good and believable characters whatever their personality are!

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#9 Post by Steamgirl »

coffin-tan wrote:And is also a psycho and an obsessive character oh-- and the yandere's craziness is closely tied with love. :D
Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I'm sure I'd enjoy any well-written character regardless of archetype. When a writer writes the stuff she/he loves writing they usually write better stories and characters for it. So the most important thing is that you like writing yanderes. :)
coffin-tan wrote:p.s. Steamgirl, the guest who replied to your message is actually me. I guess something happened with the wi-fi connection when I was replying to your post and it ended up logging me out and I became a guest instead :0
Don't worry, I had figured out what had happened. :)

SilverSnow
Regular
Completed: Bus Stop, Before the Tale, White Book Complete Volume, See You, The Raven
Projects: Secrets...
Tumblr: stchematelier
itch: st-chem-atelier
Discord: SHatsuyuki#1452

#10 Post by SilverSnow »

This sounds interesting :D
Yandere? Have no problem with that ^^

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by try10 »

The plot seems good enough. I'm willing to give it a try after it's finished. Good luck. :)