Dream of Stars [sci-fi][BxG] Kickstarter link!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jamtoast

Dream of Stars [sci-fi][BxG] Kickstarter link!

#1 Post by jamtoast »

We are Jam Toast Studios, and we would like to present to you our first major project: Dream of Stars!

Dream of Stars takes place in twenty-second century Japan amidst a burgeoning global space travel movement and follows the story of Tomohiro Ishikawa, a misanthropic shut-in with a penchant for computers and hacking. His talents catch the eye of one Hiroaki Abe, head of the organization known only as Hoshi that stands at the forefront of space exploration technology. Joining Hoshi as its computer engineer, Tomohiro is forced out of his tiny one-room apartment and into the real world, where he must face his greatest fear -- other people -- while befriending Hoshi's other members, learning about himself in the process.

CHARACTERS:

Dream of Stars' story is as much about the heroines as it is about Tomohiro (and vice-versa). Each of the heroines has her own complex background and history, and in helping each heroine come to terms with her own past, Tomohiro will learn just as much about himself, coming to terms with his own issues and faults that he has avoided facing for years.

Aside from depictions of fantasy violence, Dream of Stars is an all-ages visual novel with no adult content whatsoever!

Check out our Kickstarter for more information!

Additionally, click here to download Jam Toast Studios' debut project, My Girlfriend is a Witch! -- a small fangame VN set in the Madoka Magica universe!

MORE IMAGES:

Sample screenshot

Female Hoshi uniform concept

Hoshi spacesuit concept

Concept for the Nagareboshi, Hoshi's flagship

Jam Toast Studios is a three-person group consisting of Ari Kim-Shawver (visual artist), Nicole Seraphita (writer), and Matt Gallagher (composer), each of whom is an experienced artist in their individual field.

Check out the Jam Toast Studios Soundcloud for samples of what you'll find in Dream of Stars' soundtrack!

Thank you for your time, and don't forget to spread the word!
Last edited by jamtoast on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Dream of Stars [sci-fi][BxG] Kickstarter link!

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Thank you for being willing to promote your project here. The detailed information is useful. Though I think one of the more relevant pieces of information on your Kickstarter page is in the last answer in your FAQ: "Dream of Stars is an inspiring story about all kinds of love and relationships--above all, friends and family. The "heroines" are girls that the player forms a strong bond with and helps to achieve their dreams; DoS is not a "dating sim" and the objective is not to romance the different characters."

Unfortunately, one of the rules of Lemma Soft is "Do not link to crowdfunding campaigns (including kickstarter or indiegogo campaigns) for visual novels or games unless those campaigns include a link to a nontrivial playable demo." As I understand it, you can't link from this forum to your crowdfunding page until you create a demo. I'm not a moderator. Talk to the admins if you have concerns.

jamtoast

#3 Post by jamtoast »

Damn, must have missed that. I'll edit the post accordingly.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Dream of Stars [sci-fi][BxG]

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

A game promoting friendship, self-discovery, and the pursuit of one's dreams instead of a hollow, cookie-cutter romance? Consider me interested.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#5 Post by pickle131 »

I'm really interested to see how this turns out! The plot sounds interesting and the colours look really nice in every image so far~
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

jamtoast

#6 Post by jamtoast »

Our visual artist threw together some preliminary sketches for new characters!

This is Ai, the spaceship Nagareboshi's AI. She is rather disagreeable and often comes across as prickly, but she means well nonetheless.

This is Étoile, Hoshi's mascot and a tour guide of sorts. She is a veritable bucket of sass and exists as a hologram linked to the mainframe of Hoshi HQ, and pops out every once in a while to say hello (and annoy the heck out of Tomohiro).

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Étoile sure has a lot of hair. It's a good thing she's just a hologram---it would be a pain to brush all the time! :lol:
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

jamtoast

#8 Post by jamtoast »

Thanks to our visual artist, we now have formal bios for our two new characters!

Neither of these two characters are planned to have their own routes as of yet.

A major Kickstarter update is coming tomorrow, so stay tuned!

jamtoast

#9 Post by jamtoast »

The update is live! I hope this will shed some light on the world of Dream of Stars and why/how we are doing what we are doing.