MomoiroGirl's Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

MomoiroGirl's Art Thread

#1 Post by MomoiroGirl »

Just thought I'd start an art thread, since I feel like i'm bombing the Art Dump thread >__> I might take requests, if it's something I can handle with my current skills :P

I'll just start out by attaching some past works I've done.

Critique is very welcome, I feel like I need it atm :D
Attachments
the spirits 2.png
zeiva  - contest - final - resized.png
venus - updated 1. - resized.png
schoolgirl 1 - resized.png
ib fanart 1. - resized.png
girlatcafe 2.png
gaia coloured 1.png

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: MomoiroGirl's Art Thread

#2 Post by Laniessa »

Ooh, pretty style! I love your colour palettes.

I'm sure you know, but watch the head size! They're a bit large. I feel like you could probably push the contrast a lot more on a lot of your drawings too.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

Yeah, the head sizes are too large for most of them. After you're done with the sketching stage, make sure to check and see if the head is too large, too small, etc. No harm in taking advantage of the resize tool! For the most part, shoulders are ~2 heads, I believe?

venus:
Having the hair flow off like that makes for a strange composition. A few of your drawings are "stiff", so try to do exercises with squiggly lines and drawing things that don't make sense at all to loosen up!

girlatcafe:
Her left/our right foot looks strange. The colors chosen for shading (especially at her shirt) look bland.
I do quite like the "style" of this one, though. It's sort of like a caricature.

gaia:
Attached. Her right eye/our left seemed a little bit too far off, and it seems strange where the pupil looks like it's overlapping the eye itself? Having the hair cover the eyes would've been better. The pose also seemed awkward (everything is flowing to the left, but her body+arms suddenly turn to the right). I also suggested cutting out the extra space to the top and the right.
You also added some strange flat lines on her nose, which in turn, flattens out her face. Having the bottom lid of the eye to be "implied" makes it look less like a symbol. You did do this in the ib painting though, so... '_'?

ib:
Definitely play around with "planes" a little bit more through the use of color! Everything is near the same plane, color-wise. It's surreal, but some illusion of depth would make it more awesome!

Overall, try to cut out excess on your canvas when it isn't adding anything to it at all, push contrast+depth, and try to add some more flow/rhythm to your drawings!
Attachments
redlinezz.png

MomoiroGirl
Veteran

#4 Post by MomoiroGirl »

@Laniessa: Thank you! ^o^
Yea, it's a horrible thing I just keep doing (as demonstrated by the two attached images, one before the next after digital editing :P)
Yes, I'm waaay too shy to go overboard with color contrasts >__> I'll try to focus even more on these things! Thanks for the comments! :D

@chocojax: Thank you very much for the long post!
Venus: Yes, I totally get wha you mean, I've been told that my draings don't have much life, and that I need to loosen up on the "cleanness" of the lines ^^'' I'll try experimenting a bit more!

Girlatcafe: Yea, color contrasts are another weakness of mine ^^'' I was trying to stylize this a bit, so thank you for the comment! :D

Ib: I actually didn't notice what was wrong before you pointed it out here! o.o Than you! I can totally see what you mean! :D

Gaia: Yea, her pose was a sad attempt from me to make the pose more "dynamic" TT___TT I trid to make her nose look like a little "button"-nose, but yea, didn't quite know how to XD I have to ask what exactly you mean here though:

"Having the bottom lid of the eye to be "implied" makes it look less like a symbol. You did do this in the ib painting though, so... '_'?"

If possible, please do elaborate! :D Also, thank you very much for the redlining! I also see what you mean by excess space on the canvas ^^' Thank you very much for taking the time to write this reply! :D

---

Attached here is an attempt from me to see how many heads could be stacked atop each other on a typical drawing I've done. At first I drew just like I normally did, ad to my hsurprise I could only stack 4,9 heads! I never realized my heads could end up THAT big o__o'' Then I tried lifting the chin to make the head smaller (which is why the neck looks long XD), and could then stack 5,4 head, which is almost typical manga character-height (at minimum >__>)

I then scanned it in, and tried editing it a bit (quickly and sloppily), and ended up with what you see in the second picture. When measured that pic tho, it said that there could be stacked 5,1 head atop each other .___. Gah, confusing... (also, I know her arms are a biiit too short :P)
Attachments
foto (18) BEFORE.png
foto (18) AFTER.png

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

It's not that her arms are too short (although they are), but rather the legs are too small, especially when you compare it to the neck and skull. Her thighs are less thick than her entire neck. The foreshortening on the feet could use some work since they look squashed.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by chocojax »

If possible, please do elaborate! :D
Well, most people would just draw an eye as a symbolized eye, like <o> right? (On my laptop, so I can't exactly draw at the moment, hah.)

But, in actuality, an eye looks like what they would in google images (just google "eye" I suppose, haha). There are tons of eyelashes on the top lid, which is why most people draw a thick line for the upper-lid in stylized drawings. The bottom lid has a significantly less amount than the upper, so when people just draw a single black line for the bottom lid, it looks really strange.

I guess, try to imagine someone who put the same amount of black eyeliner on the top and bottom eyelid.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this reply! :D
No problem!

foto:
Yeah, what MaiMai said. This happens... a lot, when I doodle things traditionally. I could only really suggest to try drawing higher than what you really need, so that when you're drawing the bottom, you don't feel like you have to fit everything into a small space. Even then, when you only have X amount of space left, there's no problem in cutting it out.

Lyriale
Regular
IRC Nick: Lee

#7 Post by Lyriale »

Love your color pallete. Iz so beautiful.
That aside, you might wanna practice your anatomy. As mentioned before, most of their heads seem too big. Plenty of tutorials on dA for that. Also, some of the poses seems too stiff. Especially the one in the cafe. She looks very uncomfortable. Also her legs seem too small for her body.

But, I do like your style, it's very soft and pretty looking, so for now, try focus on anatomy and proportion.

Then again, I'm still an amateur XD

If you're taking requests, mind doing this guy?

cheers!

MomoiroGirl
Veteran

#8 Post by MomoiroGirl »

@MaiMai: Oh dear, I figured they were too small, but didn't notice that her neck was thicker until you pointed it out o__o

@chocojax: I think I know what you mean, you mean that my top lashes don't really match properly to the bottom ones? (meaning either they have too few eyelashed, or only the top has eyelashes?) Or do you mean that I need to put an equal amount of volume to the bottom and top lashes XD

That's a good tip to draw up higher on the paper, since now that I think about it, I'm always too shy o drawing from higher up on the drawing :D

@Lyriale: Thank you! Yea, I realize that ^^'' I shall try to do it better! :D

Sure, but do you possibly have another picture of him, maybe in color if possible? :/

----

So I finally had motivation to draw something, thanks to Lana Del Rey~

Nothing fancy, just wanted to draw ANYTHING >__> The quality's kinda bad, since it's a snapshot of the drawing, but it should look pretty true to life :P

EDIT: I realize that, once again, her arms are a biiit too small XD
Attachments
foto (20) redigeret.png

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by chocojax »

I think I know what you mean, you mean that my top lashes don't really match properly to the bottom ones? (meaning either they have too few eyelashed, or only the top has eyelashes?) Or do you mean that I need to put an equal amount of volume to the bottom and top lashes XD
Uhhh, I mean when you look at "gaia.png", you drew in her bottom-eyelid with a distinct black. Might've been better to leave it as the same color as the skin-line, with less eyelashes? For example, when you look at either one of their faces in "ib.png", you painted their bottom eyelashes in with a not-entirely-skin-color but not-entirely-upper-eyelid-color either.

newfoto:
Just wanna say, I really like how you shade in the faces! I'm always really impatient and usually just squiggle in some shadow to their faces, haha.
Maybe if you start forcing yourself to draw the shoulders as exactly two heads, maybe you'll start scaling the rest of the body to match as well?

Lyriale
Regular

#10 Post by Lyriale »

@Momo

color? fraid i don't of this guy but then, could you draw this guy instead? aince there's no color for the other dude...

MomoiroGirl
Veteran

#11 Post by MomoiroGirl »

@chocojax: OOOH, now I get what you mean! XD Yea, eyes are something I keep changing how I do, so thanks for the tip! :D

Also, thank you! ^o^ I don't always shade with pencil, but if I've gotten the pencil's tip "flat" enough, I'm able to make very light shading, so it doesn't look like lines :D I'll try to keep the shoulder/head thing in mind :D

@Lyriale: Well, I'll try to draw him as best as I can anyway, so I'll just do both :D What would you like for the drawing, bust-shots, full-body's etc. etc.? :P Or is it just whatever I wanna do? XD

(Also, I'm out of paper right now, I'll get more tomorrow XD)

Lyriale
Regular

#12 Post by Lyriale »

@momo do whatever you want ^.^

MomoiroGirl
Veteran

#13 Post by MomoiroGirl »

@Lyriale: I got the first dude's lineart done, maybe you could tell me what his colour scheme is? :D
Attachments
request for Lyriale - preview.png

MomoiroGirl
Veteran

#14 Post by MomoiroGirl »

Also, I did another drawing of my new gaia avatar :D
Attachments
gaiacharacter 2. - resized.png

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#15 Post by MaiMai »

I like that picture, Momoiro! The proportions look pretty well balanced and the colors are just sugary sweet. Your style always evoked an image of classic shoujo manga from the 70s, but I think it's very well nailed here.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)