Allégro: a Ballet dating sim. [GxB & GxG, Free.]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
MelodyKnighton
Regular
Projects: too many
Organization: Los Muertos Studios
Tumblr: MelodyKnighton

Allégro: a Ballet dating sim. [GxB & GxG, Free.]

#1 Post by MelodyKnighton »

Title:

Plot:
The story follows Lola Fuentes, a strong willed young woman whose
dream is to not only be the first person in her family to go to college,
but also to reach stardom as a prima ballerina. These dreams combine
into her desire to get the only full scholarship available for the premier
ballet school in the country, Bellamy Conservatory. Can she impress
the judges enough to take a risk on her, and if so, can she overcome
all the obstacles in her way to star in the end of the year performance of swan lake?

Notes:
Lola is an unconventional ballerina, she's larger and more muscular than
the slender and pale beauties she admired growing up. She also comes
from a large family of mexican immigrants where money has always been
tight, as a result she's self trained, does her own choreography and hand
sews her costumes from hand-me-down clothes. The cards are stacked
against her since Ballet is such a traditional art form that rarely breaks
the rules for someone out of the box.

Characters:

Main=

Lola: Main character, spirited, head strong and overly confident,
though the later is mostly a coping mechanism for some insecurities she
harbors. Growing up as the only girl in a family of 4 brothers, she is more
comfortable hanging out with guys than girls, which may cause some trouble
with her fellow ballerinas. She is also generally too naive and optimistic
which will make her an even easier target to her rivals.

Dateable=

Naoko: Lola's roomate, a petite beauty with lots of talent for dancing,
which is pushed to the extreme due to intense pressure from her family and high
expectations. She was raised by her very traditional Japanese grandmother and
her elegance and calm demeanor reflects that. It would be easy for Naoko to
develop into a rival but is ballet even what she wants to do with her life?

Felix: A student teacher at Bellamy right out of college and studying for
his masters in choreography. Felix grew up in Puerto Rico before moving to the
US with his father in highschool. He's extra harsh and strict with Lola, a complete
no-nonsense personality during school hours. Does he dislike her, or is he pushing her to succeed?

Eli: A senior at Bellamy and the premier male lead in all of the plays. He's
used to getting what he wants, and makes dancing look easy, but is he more than a
handsome face and a charming personality? Eli hasn't seen his family from Russia in
nearly a decade, having been raised by the Dean of the school specifically for his ballet prowess.

Cait: Lola's rival, the current premier female lead in the school, though
her dancing abilities are not quite up to par with what you would expect. Could
this favoritism be due to donations her two mothers make to the school, or perhaps
Cait's love for collecting and creating gossip to use against anyone that stands in her way.

Tucker: A prodigy pianist who is as talented as he is adorkable. Despite his
abilities, he still has a day job at the ballet school, composing music for their productions.
This humbleness and work ethic come from his endearing parents, both success stories
in their own right as doctors. Tucker befriends Lola quickly and roots for her behind
the scenes and is a very sweet and caring individual.

Supporting:

The Dean, Monsieur Bellamy: A mysterious man who is rarely seen or heard from.
He is soley responsible for Lola's admittance to the school. Was he impressed with her,
or is it all some cruel joke. Rumors are that Monsieur Bellamy was slated to become
famous in his youth, due to elegance and precision unmatched, but was injured in a car
accident that ended his budding career. They also say he's bitter towards anyone with
the abilities to someday surpass his former skill level. The only student to know what
he looks like is Eli, who was taken in by Monsieur Bellamy over ten years ago.

Madame Bellamy: Monsieur Bellamy's younger sister, the much less reclusive of the
two. She only received minor success as a dancer, and now teaches at the conservatory.
She's know for being strict for rules and tradition as well as being ruthless with her students.
Madame Bellamy picks favorites early in the year and makes life hell for those she doesn't approve of.

Art:

Lola Sprite 01=

Chibi Lola (possibly for the menu)=

Questions:

-Would you prefer a free game/pay if you can with a shorter story/1 pose (multiple expressions)
each character/4 BG's and 1 CG for every ending, or a $5 kickstarter with double all that content and a sound track?
[EDIT: Decided to keep the game smaller and free!]
-What is most important to you in a stat raiser? Realism? Pay Off? Underdog story?
[Edit: Decided to remove the stat raiser element, so ignore this question.]
-What is most important to you in a dating sim? Dialogue? Character Development? CG's?
-What would you like to see more of in this type of game/aka what should I consider adding or focusing on.
-Any other suggestions or advice?
Last edited by MelodyKnighton on Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Angie
Regular

Re: Ballet stat and dating sim. [GxB, GxG]

#2 Post by Angie »

I really like the idea. I never saw a dating sim about ballet so... yes! I would love to play it.
I wonder, will you show how trainers push ballerinas into anorexia? How they weigh them once a week and write down a full reports, which conclude something like 'If you don't reach <insert weight here> by the end of next week, you can't attend this school anymore'?
That's an important issue with ballerinas... and it would be nice to show that.

I like the idea that she's not a skinny type... and I would like to see her struggle in this game. You really has a great potential here!

I would also go all the way to make it the most realistic and it can be - then, it can become a masterpice.

Btw. stat riser sounds like a great idea here, in my opinion.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

A non-stereotypical ballerina in a story of empowerment? Oooh. :)

1. I don't play stat-raising games often, but I can tolerate them if they don't turn into a boring, meaningless grind.

2. Most dating sims are really just underdeveloped stories with flat characters, but it's definitely possible to break the mold. I've seen it done before.

3. Focus on your story and characters. If they're developed properly, you'll have a decent game no matter what happens with art or music or whatever.

Is it just me, or is Lola's head too small for the rest of her body?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Angie
Regular

#4 Post by Angie »

Mad Harlequin wrote: Is it just me, or is Lola's head too small for the rest of her body?
Now that you mentioned it, I think it is a bit too small.

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#5 Post by MelodyKnighton »

-good catch on the head, I made the chibi first so I think I was subconsciously over compensating for that giant head. haha. I'll be sure to correct that when I get to actual in-game art. (EDIT: the illustration with the tiny head has been removed, so don't be confused if you're looking at the above art.)

-You're right on about the hidden un-glamorous side to ballet. It's definitely something I want to include. It will be a big issue for Lola to deal with due to her not fitting into the stereotypical mold. In fact it's something all the characters will be dealing with, including the males. It's not an easy path for anyone involved. Everyone will deal with it in different ways and should lead to some solid story-lines and character development. I just hope I do it justice.

-I'm not a big fan of standard stat raisers either, so I want to figure out a happy medium towards building up to lola's goals while still focusing on the story and characters. It's a bit tricky but I think it should be doable. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. : )
Last edited by MelodyKnighton on Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angie
Regular

#6 Post by Angie »

MelodyKnighton wrote: -I'm not a big fan of standard stat raisers either, so I want to figure out a happy medium towards building up to lola's goals while still focusing on the story and characters. It's a bit tricky but I think it should be doable. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. : )
Instead of regular stat-riser, you could include just additional choices, which won't directly affect the relationship but will add for example athletic points or something else.
Like, if in conversation she says this, what kind of ballerina is she trying to be?

I hope I'm making it clear enough ^^"

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#7 Post by MelodyKnighton »

that's a good idea. Maybe instead of the usual 'schedule your classes for the week and raise stats' thing I can do more along the lines of hidden stats. Some will increase your relationship with another character, and some will increase your 'ballerina skillz', and all will happen through in game choices instead of scheduling. Is that sort of what you meant? If so I think that could work. It will feel more natural and won't ruin the immersion as much.

It would also be nice to make it a little bit difficult to obtain an ending where you reach your work goals as well as a relationship, because that seems realistic. Definitely do-able but a challenge to 'have it all'.

So for endings I think:

1- solo prima ballerina good ending (you get there by working hard and making friends).
1- solo prima ballerina bad ending (you get there by back stabbing and have no support).
5- prima ballerina and love (only good endings possible)
5- love but no prima ballerina (only good endings possible)
1- you get nothing, what have you been doing with your time? (neutral ending)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

One thing I noticed but....
MelodyKnighton wrote: 1- solo prima ballerina good ending (you get there by working hard and making friends).
1- solo prima ballerina bad ending (you get there by back stabbing and have no support).
In the 'love' endings, there are 5 of them. Does this mean GxG is going to be involved?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#9 Post by MelodyKnighton »

you bet! all 5 of the characters mentioned are available for romance. I don't like it when girls are thrown in for the sake of inclusion or gimmick so their storyline will be as thought out and 'realistic' as the guys. No fetishizing or gay pandering.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#10 Post by Rinima »

MelodyKnighton wrote:you bet! all 5 of the characters mentioned are available for romance. I don't like it when girls are thrown in for the sake of inclusion or gimmick so their storyline will be as thought out and 'realistic' as the guys. No fetishizing or gay pandering.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Angie
Regular

#11 Post by Angie »

MelodyKnighton wrote:that's a good idea. Maybe instead of the usual 'schedule your classes for the week and raise stats' thing I can do more along the lines of hidden stats. Some will increase your relationship with another character, and some will increase your 'ballerina skillz', and all will happen through in game choices instead of scheduling. Is that sort of what you meant? If so I think that could work. It will feel more natural and won't ruin the immersion as much.

It would also be nice to make it a little bit difficult to obtain an ending where you reach your work goals as well as a relationship, because that seems realistic. Definitely do-able but a challenge to 'have it all'.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought about!
MelodyKnighton wrote: So for endings I think:

1- solo prima ballerina good ending (you get there by working hard and making friends).

I like your ideas of endings - the friendship one, or back stabbing one too! Things will get interesting... (oh, please, don't judge me xD)
But I'm also happy that you give the possibility of girlxgirl relationship, and with the closed-up society you will work on, you can use it to your advantage... I believe everyone will be gossiping about everything (I hope for some not-datable black characters) and such relationship won't be easy to keep up.
But, indeed, it can get sooo interesting! I really look forward to seeing any of your progress... :)

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#12 Post by Anne »

I really like Lola's design but it makes me wonder how realistic the setting is. I don't really know much about ballet but I've always thought that no traditional ballet school with a reputation would even consider taking anyone not fitting into certain parameters, if a ballerina's weight is more than a certain amount a male lead just won't be able to lift her and say for swan lake they'd want all the swans to look alike (so their height should be in a certain range as well) etc (the list of requirements is extensive)
Unlike other people commenting I like stat raisers / sims and I think your setting is perfect for a stat raiser

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#13 Post by MelodyKnighton »

Update:

-added Lola's first sprite and removed the old concept art.

-added two new character biographies.

-Rinima: haha glad you approve.

-Angie: There will be plenty of diversity in the game. I'm not looking to form captain planet here, but the fact that it takes place in NYC means representing the people you would see there, aka lots of diversity. Lola's parents are mexican, Felix is Puerto Rican, Naoko's parents are Japanese, Eli's heritage is eastern European, Cait's heritage is Irish, and Tucker is black. I also want some variety in their family situations, like Lola comes from a large family, Felix was raised by his dad, Naoko by her grandmother, Eli through the ballet company (his family is still back in Russia), Cait by her two mom's and Tucker by his adorable doctor mom and dad.

-Anne: You're spot on, there's no way she should have made it into the school, never the less on a scholarship. I don't want to give too much away but that's part of the story. The scholarship is privately funded by the elusive dean of the school, who was either blown away by her performance or has some ulterior motives for bringing her on board. As for Lola's abilities, she's able to hold her own due to being extremely agile and strong. Those thighs aren't just for show, she can out leap the strictest competition. As for lifts she'll have to do some of the work to make them happen without putting too much pressure on the guys but it's all very doable.

-Question for everyone: When I started planning this project I envisioned doing it for free or donations but that would severely limit the amount of work/time I could afford to put in. So what do you think you would prefer: a free or pay what you can game that has the full story (though it won't be as long as I would ideally want) but only 1 pose per character and a handful of expressions each, 4 BG's and one CG for each ending. Or instead maybe doing a kickstarter and offering the game for like $5 so I can afford to get some music and spend a bit more time away from freelance work on it. That would mean a longer game, more poses, more expressions, at least 8 BG's, and double the CG's.
Last edited by MelodyKnighton on Mon May 05, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riiko08
Regular
Completed: Locked Heart, Cinderella Phenomenon
Organization: DICESUKI
Deviantart: kooriiko

#14 Post by riiko08 »

Uwah! A game about Ballet? I'm sold!

What is most important to you in a stat raiser? Realism? Pay Off? Underdog story?
~ I don't usually play stat raisers but as long as it won't be too repetitive, then I guess it's fine with me.

-What is most important to you in a dating sim? Dialogue? Character Development? CG's?
~ Storyline and character development of course!

Not a big fan of GxG but I will play for the GxB! Good luck on this one!

suzuaki
Regular
Completed: Violet White Hill

#15 Post by suzuaki »

MelodyKnighton wrote:you bet! all 5 of the characters mentioned are available for romance. I don't like it when girls are thrown in for the sake of inclusion or gimmick so their storyline will be as thought out and 'realistic' as the guys. No fetishizing or gay pandering.
woah!!! * -*
(┓^ω^)┛))ヨイサヨイサ♪(┓^ω^)┛))

completed work : Violet White Hill [GxB/G VN][Mystery/Comedy/Romance/Voiced]
Find me on : devianArt | SoundCloud | YouTube