Euphoria [the dating sim where everyone rejects you]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ghost
Projects: open!

Euphoria [the dating sim where everyone rejects you]

#1 Post by Ghost »

Euphoria
(alt title, I Want To Get Off Mr.Neckbeard's Wild Ride)
Synopsis:
You are Gideon Blackwood, better known by your gamertag Caution250, and your bragging may have gotten you in a little over your head.

In an attempt to ‘assert dominance’ over the ‘sad virgins’ that make up your online friend circle, you may have exaggerated the truth a bit in informing them that you were dating someone in an effort not be shown up by your recently taken best friend. Fortunately, they completely bought it! Unfortunately, they now expect her to come into the chat so they can give their blessings (and regrets) when she 'returns from her studies abroad' at the end of the month… which is a little over four weeks away. Not being one to enjoy being called out on your shit, you accept this challenge with open arms… although something tells you that you already know how this is going to end.

Don your fedora and turn on your swag; you’re going to need all the help you can get to win this one.

Wait, what.
Did I make an account just to talk about this dumb thing? You bet your britches I did! Well, that, and to leave useless comments around on other VNs.
Anyway.
Euphoria is a silly pseudo-dating sim idea I conceived over the extensive period of two days, in which you are a neckbeard gamer living out your life a bit more desperately than usual in your (awkward, terrible, horribly misguided) attempts to get yourself a m'lady of your very own. Well, if you walk the most obvious path, anyway. It’ll be highly character driven and choice based, with 16 potential endings. It's more of a story with a lot of dumb humor that explores the nature of friendship and other dynamic relationships that don’t classify as romance, but I hope someone might find it potentially enjoyable none the less.

This is likely to be an overly ambitious side project if nothing else, so progress will probably be a bit on the slower side. I'd appreciate opinions on how to improve what I'm running with and if it would be even considered playable, however. ' u ' Anyhoo! Moving on.

Characters:
(No art yet because I'm trash, but all of them will have routes. That said, one male and one female within the nine will have romance-based routes as well as a bromantic one. Good luck figuring out which ones huehuehue)

Gideon
aka. ‘Gid’ or ‘Caution’
A loud mouthed culinary arts student with an acne problem, a passion for gaming, and more pride than most humans are capable of showing the capacity to handle in their entire lives. Unfortunately, this pride doesn’t translate well into confidence nor charm, manifesting itself only within the realms of the internet. Still, he pretends it does to save face and make him appear more impressive, which… sort of got him into this situation to begin with.

(Online) - Gideon's circle of online friends. It started initially with Gideon himself and his friend Kip playing together, although over time and a few co-op matches together, it grew to include a popular online video producer, her boisterous older brother, and a retired engine mechanic.

Kip:
aka. ‘Es’
Better known as Escorder to the rest of the group, Kip has been Gideon’s gaming rival and best friend since they were in middle school. Although soft spoken and seemingly Gideon's antithesis by every definition of the term, they’ve been married twice on different MMORPG websites (“for buffs, don’t make it weird”), and are probably the closest within the group, barring Shark and Tox. Alas, since he started seeing someone IRL, he’s been a bit more distant than he used to be. The most proficient healer and support player.

GotLove:
aka. ‘Love’
A woman that sounds to be in her late seventies who serves as a life coach of sorts to the rest of the group, along with perhaps being one of the best tanks the world has ever seen. Although a stickler for netiquette, she's a little bit... crass in how she rebukes her charges. Does not take well to being called ‘grandma’ in spite of her motherly habits, and will threaten to read terribly written harlequin romances over mic when displeased.

Sharkface91:
aka. ‘Shark’
The hot-blooded self-proclaimed leader of the group. Although he and Gideon get along fairly well, they have a habit of egging each other on and getting into ridiculous situations because of it. Unsurprisingly, he’s the one who pressured Gideon into the girlfriend ordeal. He tends to overly worked up over just about everything, to the point that he even occasionally gets moved to tears during a match. The most likely to stand in the middle of an AOE spell and die while complaining about how he wasn't healed in time.

XxToxic_GunnerxX:
aka. ‘Tox’
Shark’s younger sister. Quiet, but probably has the foulest language of all of them if provoked. As the youngest, she’s considered the baby of the group, although doesn’t like to be brushed off as such. Runs a popular Let’s Play channel specializing in horror games when not doing co-op with the rest of the group. Has the most powerful lungs, to the point that the rest of the group knows to collectively remove their headsets upon hearing the familiar warning of her sucking in her breath.

(Offline) - People of note at the (presently unnamed) university Gideon attends and lives in the dorms of.

Frey
Some sensitive new age douche that happens to be assigned to the same dorm room as our glorious hero. There’s a mutual understanding that so long as Gideon does all the cooking, Frey will take care of the cleaning, although beyond that, Gideon isn’t overly fond of him. Can supposedly play the best acoustic cover of ‘Wonderwall’ on campus.

Lila
A student enrolled in the same baking course Gideon happens to be taking. She doesn’t seem to have the patience required for it, although she’ll be damned if she isn’t trying. She seems to be frequently distracted for some reason, causing a number of (very preventable) incidents in the kitchen.

Vivienne:
The cashier at a family-owned convenience store Gideon frequents. A cheery and kindhearted young lady who is well liked by customers, and has proven temperate enough to talk down some of the craziest of robbers. Needless to say, it comes as a bit of a surprise when she’s cast as a witness regarding a recent crime spree…

Rick:
Although his actual first name is Maverick, it hardly seems fitting for a shy, bookish young man such as himself. Seems sort of naïve and is quick to confess that he doesn’t know very much about people, and suggests that he and Gideon teach each other (yeah, like that won’t end poorly). Something seems off about him beyond his outlandish name, although it’s hard to say what…

Mimi:
A psychology major in her final year of university and the president of the student union. Highly intelligent and every bit a perfectionist, she moves like a goddess among beasts when compared to the rest of the campus… discounting the fact that she always seems to up and disappear every afternoon. What’s her deal?

Misc. Content

Stats:
(Unfortunately, yes, it's one of those games. I'll try to find ways to jazz this up further to prevent unnecessary grinding, though.)

Visible:

CONFIDENCE (basically your hp; dictates how long gid can stay out in public without wanting to run home crying)
CHARISMA (Higher scores add additional ways for Gideon to react to the situation he’s in. Kind of like the MP stat, only it doesn’t decrease when used.)
MATURITY (Dictates your success in making use of your charismatic prowess w/ m’ladies and other offline friends)
GAMER SCORE (Maturity’s sister stat in purpose, only for dealing w/ your gaming group.)

Hidden:

MORALITY (the strength of Gideon’s moral compass. Dependent on your choices, this could vary; characters will associate with you differently depending on how high or low the bar goes.)

--

Actual Status:
A resounding 0% across the board, unfortunately. :') As I said, I started this all of two days ago, but I realized that this is probably something people wouldn't typically...play??? It's a bit of an iffy topic in and of itself, so it seemed wise to get some critique on the idea itself before I dive into anything really elaborate.

Last Thread Update: 06/08/2014

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Euphoria [the dating sim where everyone rejects you]

#2 Post by fleet »

I like the concept. Is this your first VN? I don't want to discourage you, but I recommend you cut back the number of characters (or reduce the roles that some of them play) and reduce the number of endings. A lot of first effort VNs end up not being completed due to being too big.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

I dunno if this bothers you, but since Swan Song had its name changed (to prevent confusion with the Japanese eroge SWAN SONG) you may want to consider avoiding confusion with the Japanese eroge 'euphoria' (which is about a million times more NSFW than SWAN SONG).

If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I really dig what you've got going on here---a character-driven story about non-romantic relationships! Yeah! And I'm interested to see how balancing online and offline relationships will work out.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#5 Post by blankd »

Sounds like it could be really funny to play but it does seem like there are a lot of characters- unless most of the game-changing choices are reserved mostly for the offline portion? It really does seem ambitious but more power and best of luck to you!

I'm not sure- if all 4 visible stats are necessary, but then again I'm not sure how they'll be balanced in-game or how it'll play out in practice.

I'm a little curious why your MC is relatively young but that's more of nitpick (?)- probably because when I picture neckbeards I think of late 20s early 30 somethings. I also kind of wonder how everyone will look- I understand it's a dating game in some capacity but it'd be pretty interesting to see normal or even unattractive characters. But that's just my two-cents.

Hope to see more and that you can make it to the end!

Ghost

#6 Post by Ghost »

Hell yeah text wall comin up
fleet wrote:I like the concept. Is this your first VN? I don't want to discourage you, but I recommend you cut back the number of characters (or reduce the roles that some of them play) and reduce the number of endings. A lot of first effort VNs end up not being completed due to being too big.
That it is! Is it that obvious? Heh.
Regarding the matter of being overstacked, I suppose I did go a bit overboard... Although I suppose I'll see how they balance once I start getting into the bulk of the writing. Weed out the weaker voices, I guess? I kind of want to try my hand at developing all of them for the moment... although your input is very much appreciated! I'll definitely take it into consideration.
Asceai wrote:I dunno if this bothers you, but since Swan Song had its name changed (to prevent confusion with the Japanese eroge SWAN SONG) you may want to consider avoiding confusion with the Japanese eroge 'euphoria' (which is about a million times more NSFW than SWAN SONG).

If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.
OOPS. > v >;; Er, no, I hadn't realized, although I probably should have guessed. Considering this likely isn't going to get NSFW for obvious reasons though, I should probably go back to the drawing board for that. Ha. ... Thanks for the warning!
Mad Harlequin wrote:I really dig what you've got going on here---a character-driven story about non-romantic relationships! Yeah! And I'm interested to see how balancing online and offline relationships will work out.
Thank you very much! * v * The online/offline thing was actually something I was especially eager to get into. I guess we'll see where it goes though.
blankd wrote: I'm not sure- if all 4 visible stats are necessary, but then again I'm not sure how they'll be balanced in-game or how it'll play out in practice.

I'm a little curious why your MC is relatively young but that's more of nitpick (?)- probably because when I picture neckbeards I think of late 20s early 30 somethings. I also kind of wonder how everyone will look- I understand it's a dating game in some capacity but it'd be pretty interesting to see normal or even unattractive characters. But that's just my two-cents.

Hope to see more and that you can make it to the end!
Ahhh, well, the stats were more of something that the users could take control of if they wanted to change how the events played out, a bit? I didn't want to make it too easy once you got stacked with charisma though, so hence why I split up the two secondary stats there in order to make sort of pass/fail qualifications for persuasion events. Essentially, it was meant as a way to turn a bad end into something a little bit better and vice/versa if desired. ' v '

In regards to age... I just kind of went with my own experience? I've encountered a number of neckbeards under the age of twenty in my days, although they don't typically have the full thing going for them. Sometimes just the attitude. That said, I also wanted Gideon to be kind of on the cusp - like, almost a neckbeard, but not quite the extreme yet, you know? Just so he's not COMPLETELY annoying.Only mildly.

Although as for the homely character thing... uh, yes, I'd actually planned for that. > v >; I'm not much of an artist anyway, so I was kind of gunning for more of a cartoony style for the entire thing. Here's a few quick sketches of the MC, for example! ... Although most of them are kind of joke-y ones for my own amusement, but you get the idea. < v >;;

Also as an unrelated side note I really liked your sketches of Grenn, his design is absolutely fascinating. I'll be waiting eagerly to see how your own game pans out!

HalYac17
Regular

#7 Post by HalYac17 »

I absolutely love this idea! It has the potential to be a hilarious and really fun VN. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one :D

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#8 Post by blankd »

Ghost wrote:Ahhh, well, the stats were more of something that the users could take control of if they wanted to change how the events played out, a bit? I didn't want to make it too easy once you got stacked with charisma though, so hence why I split up the two secondary stats there in order to make sort of pass/fail qualifications for persuasion events. Essentially, it was meant as a way to turn a bad end into something a little bit better and vice/versa if desired. ' v '

In regards to age... I just kind of went with my own experience? I've encountered a number of neckbeards under the age of twenty in my days, although they don't typically have the full thing going for them. Sometimes just the attitude. That said, I also wanted Gideon to be kind of on the cusp - like, almost a neckbeard, but not quite the extreme yet, you know? Just so he's not COMPLETELY annoying.Only mildly.

Although as for the homely character thing... uh, yes, I'd actually planned for that. > v >; I'm not much of an artist anyway, so I was kind of gunning for more of a cartoony style for the entire thing. Here's a few quick sketches of the MC, for example! ... Although most of them are kind of joke-y ones for my own amusement, but you get the idea. < v >;;

Also as an unrelated side note I really liked your sketches of Grenn, his design is absolutely fascinating. I'll be waiting eagerly to see how your own game pans out!
Makes sense, just be careful with the balancing and such since they seem like stats that could create fairly different outcomes- again it's definitely something that will be more concrete in practice than at this stage, just be careful, it'd suck to see you get burnout or hit a brick wall.

And yeah I sorta figured, there is no real agelimit to being a neckbeard but there is a sorta "iconic" look for it you know? Again it was a pretty subjective thing for me to say. Artist or not there is some good neckbeardian vibes being generated so you're definitely on the right path!

Thanks lol.

Ghost

#9 Post by Ghost »

okay, I've been a dumb slacker on a new project for about a week, so I guess it's about time for an update.

Progress... is slow, as you might expect. > v >; Steady, but slow.

I did, however, hash out the character designs for the offline six, however! As Gid's online friends are... online, you likely won't be seeing too much of them physically until the end, so for the sake of making things easier on me, they won't have sprites. You can expect to see these mugs around, however:

(Click for a slightly larger version)

So, from left to right, that's Gideon, Frey, Mimi, Rick, Vivienne, and Lila. I set out for homely, but I ended up roughly tooling around with body types instead to keep things interesting. Ha,,, Ah well. These aren't the final versions of anything, I just doodled these up so I'd have a vague idea when I go to actually do things.

If you have any criticisms or have a particular favorite, however, I'd be glad for your input! ' v ' It all helps.

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#10 Post by Broodelin »

Lila is a cutie-patootie. :)

Anyways, I really like the idea behind this game. It looks like it's going to end up being really unique and funny. Plus, I adore the idea of non-romantic relationships in VNs, so you've certainly got me there.