No main character sprite for commercial game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DeletedUser160413

No main character sprite for commercial game?

#1 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

How do you guys feel about a commercial game were, instead of there being a default sprite for the main character, the player will be able to imagine how they would like the main character to look. What the players will know about the main character is that she's a female and they will also know her story, but they will be able to choose things like the first and last name of the main character aswell.

So what are your thoughts of a faceless MC, and how would you like this to be presented in the CGs? Thanks!

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

Re: No main character sprite for commercial game?

#2 Post by Juneberry »

The general idea of a faceless MC is pretty interesting, especially when you're being given the ability to name them. However, if it's going to be an MC included in CGs...I can't think of a good way to do it unless you just use a silhouette for their part so that it's not really clear what they look like. However, on the other hand, that may not work well either- I think it depends on how you go about it, but it can either work really well, I think...Or not so well. >w<

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

It's pretty often in Japanese games that MC doesn't have a sprite, I see nothing wrong in that, be it a free or commercial game. But yes, you won't be able to include her in the cgs then, since a silhouette still defines very much, like figure, height, haircut, etc. Maybe you can do some close-ups, like only lips for kissing scenes...
And you as a creator define MC's personality anyway, so why not define her appearance as well?

DeletedUser160413

#4 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

Katta wrote:It's pretty often in Japanese games that MC doesn't have a sprite, I see nothing wrong in that, be it a free or commercial game. But yes, you won't be able to include her in the cgs then, since a silhouette still defines very much, like figure, height, haircut, etc. Maybe you can do some close-ups, like only lips for kissing scenes...
And you as a creator define MC's personality anyway, so why not define her appearance as well?
Well, I want the player to be in control of as much as possible. But I agree that it might be a good idea to give the main character the appearance that I imagine her having... Atleast in the CGs.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

They're fine! In CGs, I don't mind if they're shown the way you envision them, faceless, or not at all. I actually, typically, enjoy the last option more because it focuses on the pursue-ables ^^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#6 Post by Allegra Hughes »

I've seen a lot of official japanese VNs where the MC doesn't appear at all, and during CG events they'd show him / her without a face really and just the hair or what not.

I personally enjoy seeing the MC, but that's just me haha