DateNighto HTMLVN (HTML5 Visual Novel Engine)

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
gomidog

DateNighto HTMLVN (HTML5 Visual Novel Engine)

#1 Post by gomidog »

So I've been a lurker on this board for a little bit, and I thought I'd finally post with something kinda nifty.
My buddy and former co-worker Conrad (@konistehrad on Twitter) has been working on a visual novel engine that uses HTML5 to allow visual novel development for both the web browser and mobile. It's an engine that is geared toward artists, so creators don't need in depth coding ability to create a fully fleshed-out game.
Here's a Polygon Article about it.
Their first big project is the BL game based on HamletMachine's webcomic Starfighter. (You can play a little demo here.)
Anyway, while it is still in its early stages, those guys should be opening up the tool-set to other creators at some point, so let us know if anyone would be interested in something like this.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: DateNighto HTMLVN (HTML5 Visual Novel Engine)

#2 Post by SundownKid »

The website integration is cool. I'm guessing it would be a boon to the creators of pure visual novels, so that they can get the most exposure possible. One of Ren'py weaknesses is that it doesn't have HTML5 website integration, so people have to download a large file which can reduce the amount of players. And with pure visual novels the appeal is in the plot, but unlike a book you can't pick it up and read. IMO, for pure visual novels, the faster people can start reading the better.

I don't think it will shake up Ren'py that much, though, not only is the engine more powerful with ATL and the like, but it supports making things like adventure games and other minigames. But I think it could still come in handy for making demos.

LRH
Regular

#3 Post by LRH »

I would definitely be interested. I'm a longtime Starfighter reader, going all the way back to the early pages of chapter 1, and when I saw Starfighter's Visual Novel kickstarter, it got me very curious about Date Nighto. Unfortunately, since the company is still very young, looking at your website was less than useful for me. After finding Renpy, and being inspired at almost every turn, I feel it would be a distribution method I'd be very interested in for future projects :)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

If HTMLVN doesn't require coding and can produce cross platform games, it will find folks who will use it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.