Aqueous' request and practice thread (critiques are welcome)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Aqueous

Aqueous' request and practice thread (critiques are welcome)

#1 Post by Aqueous »

Hello everyone,
I seriously need to learn/practice how to draw/colour more and build a portfolio. Here is my one and only finished artwork, as you can see, there’s a lot I can improve on. So if you don’t mind, please help me improve by requesting sprites, characters, animals, objects, backgrounds, (anything really!) or get me to colour something in, just send me a pic if you want particular style. I’ll endeavour to not mess it up completely. (You could also help by critiquing ;) ) I’ll try my best to finish your requests, although it might take a while. I’ll be posting my finished work on this thread or in creative commons.
Thanks for taking your time to read this. ~Aqueous
All expressions.png

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Aqueous' request and practice thread (critiques are welc

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Oh! I actually saw your other thread about this. :) I personally think that your coloring is good, and the small details you added to the hair looks really pretty. It looks really nice. :) I have one thing to crit though, and that's the anatomy of your work. It's... a bit off. Also, like somebody in your other thread said (I think it was MaiMai?), there shouldn't be a space between her arms and her chest since her arms are crossed. :D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you'll improve even more with a lot of practice! :) Keep it up!

Ahh, um... can I make a request? :) Hahaha Can you please draw anyone from The Thing With Mistletoes? The link is in my signature. ^^ I'd love to see how you'll portray my darlings. Hahaha. Thank you so much!

Aqueous

#3 Post by Aqueous »

Hello Ran08, thanks for your input. I'm glad someone likes my colouring. I'm working on the anatomy although it still has a long way to go. All your characters are gorgeous, it was so hard to pick one to do. Sorry this took so long but here is a picture of one of your them, can you guess who it is?
landice final.png
Who am I kidding, there is no way anyone would be able to guess. Purposely adds his name to the file name.
I hope you like it.
~Aqueous

halcyon

#4 Post by halcyon »

Nice work! I can see that you've put a lot of thought into the coloring.
I think to make entire piece more cohesive, using stronger and more prominent colors for shadows would be helpful ^^
Would you be okay if I red-lined your art (kind of like this, though the art is not mine and belongs to fyuvix@dA) for a few pointers on the anatomy?

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#5 Post by meiri »

Oooh, oooh, is it Landice? /shot

I really like your shading. The only think I really think youd need improvements on is anatomy.
A tip: Shoulders are usually the same width as the hips. Now, in the real word we will see people with wider shoulders, but in art that can be difficult to replicate (you'll have the space inbetween the arms and torso) You have a really great understanding of hand anatomy, though :D
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Aqueous

#6 Post by Aqueous »

Halcyon, it would be wonderful if you could red-line my work, every bit of advice helps me improve. Thank you for your advice on the colouring, I will work on being bolder with the shading for next time.

Meiri, thank you for your advice on the anatomy. No wonder I found the legs so hard to draw. I was so confused. >_<

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

Hahaha, awww, Landice you shy guy. :") He look like an older, but still shy as ever[/], Landice. :D Cute!

Oh come on, he does look like Landice you know! Hahaha. Only Landice is a lot paler than Landice final, hahaha, because that little dude is as pale as a sheet. But you did a nice version of him. :) Once again, I like your coloring! Thank you for doing my request. ^^

Hmmm, if I could crit him though, I'd say that the anatomy is off. Well, the hand is nice, like meiri said. Hahaha.
The arm feels a bit off though. You don't need to put a space between the upper and lower parts. Also, the lower arm is curved in a way that doesn't really look normal.
Buuuuut you did say you'll practice more on the anatomy, so I bet that you'll definitely improve in that aspect. :D

Thanks again, and good luck! :)