Walkerman [Fantasy] [Commerical]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Scalemail
Regular

Walkerman [Fantasy] [Commerical]

#1 Post by Scalemail »

We are currently crowdfunding Acts 1-5 over at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57 ... /walkerman. If you enjoyed the prologue, consider supporting us.
Download the demo http://scalemail.itch.io/walkerman-prologue

Jorgen, a nineteen-year-old boy from the countryside, has just embarked upon a certain career in the city-state of Midgard. As a walkerman, he will tour the streets and alleyways at night, combating the supernatural beings that emerge when the sun goes down. In order to survive Midgard's dire nights, Jorgen will need to think on his feet. His battles with the supernatural revolve around abstract problem solving and attention-to-detail, not fancy swordplay. But between Midgard's perilous politics and shady personalities, he'll soon discover that the night isn't the only thing to be wary of.

Walkerman is an Adventure Game/Visual Novel made in the Ren'Py engine. It features a non-linear story, puzzle-based gameplay, and multiple endings. Playtime is estimated to be around 14-16 hours (assuming no game overs). Walkerman does not feature graphic sexual content, but may deal with themes and imagery unsuitable for small children.

All setting, character, and gameplay information is located on our webpage. If you'd like to know more, you can visit us at scalemail.com

Some Screenshots:
Questions

If you have any further questions after touring the website, I will be glad to answer them in this thread or you can email me.
Right now art commissions are on hiatus, but we may be interested in recruiting artists again at a later time. Updates will be posted to Scalemail's official twitter account.

Email: feedback@scalemail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Scalemail_Vox
Tumblr: http://scalemaildevblog.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Scalemail on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 23 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Walkerman [Fantasy]

#2 Post by fleet »

I see from your website that you plan to sell it for $15 (US). I wish you success.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Walkerman [Fantasy] [Commerical]

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm loving the concept and promised gameplay mechanics. I'll be keeping my eye on this!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Scalemail
Regular

#4 Post by Scalemail »

Music examples have been added to the OP.

Scalemail
Regular

#5 Post by Scalemail »

A demo is in the works, consisting of Walkerman's prologue chapter. It should be out sometime before 2015, although I can't give an exact estimate.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Great! Can't wait to read it :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Hey, I think I kinda-sorta remember you from /vg/ way back. Glad to see it's still coming along.

Scalemail
Regular

#8 Post by Scalemail »

I've been dividing my time between this and other projects while the artists are replacing my devart.

The demo is looking like it'll be ready closer to mid-January than December.

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#9 Post by akemicchi »

I'm looking forward to this. This looks great! Good luck! :)

Scalemail
Regular

#10 Post by Scalemail »

I have been working on another project for the past month, but the Walkerman demo has my full attention now. It still needs a few art assets for completion, but it should be ready in 1-2 months.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#11 Post by netravelr »

Everything looks really awesome! I would suggest maybe modifying the logo a bit though, right now it seems rather bland compared to everything else. That being said though, I'm really forward to seeing what the final version looks like! Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Scalemail
Regular

#12 Post by Scalemail »

I'm not dead. We're still working on the demo and it still looks like it'll be ready by mid to late-January. We're just redoing/polishing the UI now and commissioning the last of the art assets needed for the prologue.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#13 Post by Godline »

Nice. How long will it be? Words/gameplay?

Scalemail
Regular

#14 Post by Scalemail »

The demo is about 16 minutes long, consisting of Walkerman's prologue and a short tutorial on the gameplay segments. It's by far the shortest act in the vn.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by gekiganwing »

I heard about this project a while ago thanks to the EVN Developer List. Unfortunately, when I've tried to look at that Google Doc lately, I get an error page stating "We're sorry. The publishing options given are not valid."

Anyway, I made sure to check the Walkerman page to learn what's new. A couple of comments...

* Gameplay sounds similar to graphic or text adventure games. How difficult do you estimate will it be? I'm asking this because I'm not all that willing to learn gameplay systems these days. There was a time when I made the effort to understand the adventure game logic in Shadowgate and Maniac Mansion, and then I would persevere until I reached a decent ending. Lately, I have to really like a video game's art, premise, characters, and fictional world in order to devote any time to it.

* I looked at some of the character profiles. I guess that the main character will have to deal with people who are friendly, hostile, and everywhere in between. Do you want to keep their roles and intentions vague? Should the player know which people can be trusted?