Famicom Detective Club Part II Style Menus in Ren'Py?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BigFish
Regular

Famicom Detective Club Part II Style Menus in Ren'Py?

#1 Post by BigFish »

For those of you who haven't played the game, this is basically what I'm going for:

^ Mockup

How would I go about this in Ren'Py? Any ideas? The project I'm doing this for has a 320x280 resolution with antialising turned off.

At the moment I'm using RenPy 6.2.0, but I plan on upgrading. Also, is it possible to make CTC things only appear at the end of a text box? As in, it not displaying under a {w=1} command in the text.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Famicom Detective Club Part II Style Menus in Ren'Py?

#2 Post by PyTom »

You'll want to set the various parameters of menu_window. For example:

Code: Select all

init python:
    style.menu_window.xalign = 1.0
    style.menu_window.xmaximum = 160
    style.menu_window.xminimum = 160
    style.menu_window.yalign = 0
    style.menu_window.background = "background.png"
And so on. But man, 320x280... that's going to be a postage stamp on today's screens.

6.4.0 will only show CTC at the end of a box. (Please note the fix I just posted to the website.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

BigFish
Regular

#3 Post by BigFish »

PyTom wrote:But man, 320x280... that's going to be a postage stamp on today's screens.
Well, it could run fullscreen, making it bigger. I want to have low-res graphics because I want the game to run fast on low end computers, and because low-res is easier to draw. Having the images all pixellated and the text all smooth due to a high resolution dosen't look too good in my opinion. Besides, low-res rocks! Although, Ren-Py sure as heck hates low-res. The save/load game screen doesn't even fit! :cry:
PyTom wrote:6.4.0 will only show CTC at the end of a box. (Please note the fix I just posted to the website.)
YES! That was one of the most irritating things about Ren'Py.

Thanks for the help. I completely forgot about styles....

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Uh, if you use a graphics program other than Microsoft Paint, you'll find that even high-res has its advantages. :wink:

But I agree that things can't be super-lightning fast and working on assets would be a chore for high-res projects.

For fullscreen, there's already a big difference between 640x480 to 800x600. Text is actually smoother at the higher res, and feels less like you're working on a Windows 95 computer.

BigFish
Regular

#5 Post by BigFish »

DaFool wrote:Uh, if you use a graphics program other than Microsoft Paint, you'll find that even high-res has its advantages. :wink:
I use GraphicsGale, not Paint. I could not imagine doing images like my mockup and avatar in Paint.... I make so many mistakes that GraphicsGale's various features help me out a lot. Although, don't worry. The in-game artwork will be much more detailed than the mockup. I just threw that together really fast. (I can tell why you thought I made it in paint, though.. :? )

Besides, in my last Ren'Py project, which was a present to a teacher, I made the graphics in Photoshop and I thought it looked really tacky. That's one of the reasons I'm going low-res.
DaFool wrote:For fullscreen, there's already a big difference between 640x480 to 800x600. Text is actually smoother at the higher res, and feels less like you're working on a Windows 95 computer.
Oh whoops.... Never thought about how horrible 320x280 would look fullscreen! But, it could just run in a window and not be that small. My mockup was 320x280, and it wasn't too small, right? Right...?

I know text is smoother at high res, but I really would like to have the text the same resolution as the images. It looks really horrible when the images are pixellated and the text is really smooth. Even in great games like Cave Story, this irritates me!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Why not use 320x240? That's the regular resolution for all the old DOS games... and it'll give a totally retro look to the game :)

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

BigFish wrote:It looks really horrible when the images are pixellated and the text is really smooth. Even in great games like Cave Story, this irritates me!
Wait, Cave Story had really smooth text?!
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Wintermoon »

If you're going low-res, please pick a sensible full-screen resolution (i.e. 320x240 or such). Blocky graphics are infinitely preferable to having to squint to even see the game window.

josh
Completed: Threed's Heroes and Happy Happy Halloween
Projects: Yotsuba&! Kinetic Novel, Other Projects.

#9 Post by josh »

Famicom detective club part II is awesome, i'd love to see its style interface in a Ren'py game.
"My Name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look On My Works Ye Mighty And Despair!"