Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
storm-and-fire
Regular

Re: Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

#31 Post by storm-and-fire »

Alessio wrote:
storm-and-fire wrote:There have been a couple of tracks that loop perfectly in my sound software and yet that can't be repeated in Ren'Py.
In my experience, if the loop is perfect as such, then it will also play perfectly in Ren'Py. The "sound software" (= sequencer?) you use might be the culprit. In the end, the wav/ogg file must loop perfectly when played on its own, whereas a sequencer might be trying to make it sound smooth.

To make loop points smooth, you must consider the 1. technical side (= making the loop seamless) and 2. the musical side (= keeping the theme):

1. Compose smartly so that loop start and end sound roughly the same. If the loop starts with a piano, also make it end with one, otherwise the loop point becomes obvious. Also, the loop should be cut as precisely on the beat as possible (down to a few single samples or so) where the wave hits the 0-crosspoint (otherwise you get pops). I found TWE a good help for that.

2. For the theme, try to avoid building up a climax like in your average pop song. It won't sound good when a full orchestra gets looped back to the piano intro. It's a good idea to compose an ending that leads back to the beginning.
storm-and-fire wrote:Let's say I make a track, but I want it to play fully once and then loop from the middle... How do I do that? ^^;
Cut it in two parts - the intro and the loop part, and play one after the other (so that the first one won't loop, and the second will).
Thanks a lot for all your advice! It is helping me greatly.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#32 Post by yummy »

Actually the theme that I posted isn't the real loop. In Ren'Py, I'd just put this file, then the place where it loops. I should have posted the whole thing in one file instead ^^;;

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by yummy »

I finished resampling the OP of my game (finally).
I still hope someone will sing it but I think I should finish the game first (laugh).
Anyways, enjoy.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#34 Post by Blue123 »

Wow, nice. I quite liked the melody, and the spread of instruments was interesting.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Cybeat »

Hey folks. Does anybody think this song is scary? It's supposed to be the "mansion" theme of my game. I composed it.
Attachments
Tension.zip
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#36 Post by bloodywyvern »

@yummy- Very nice! It has a somewhat olden day nostalgia to me for some reason. Just the sounds used remind me of a few older games.

@Cybeat- I thought I went crazy for a second, thought I was hearing bells from all over the place xD I'd hate to hear that in surround sound. It's good though, seems somewhat bland however. Just a bit on the empty side.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Cybeat »

Well, it's ambient music. It focuses more on sound than notes, so there isn't going to be lala here and lala there. Think of Resident Evil.
Mujinchitai
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by yummy »

Hey Cybeat, I kinda like your tune.
Somehow it made me feel there was something missing, like a main theme or some kind of phrase construction buf I think that if you added some english horns of french horns, you'd then keep something like a dramatic tone or a creepy tone.
I've also tried to compose a residence evil-like tune but I failed miserably :D
But I like these kind of themes. I remember a tune from an adventure game where you played a guy who forgot about himself, wrapped in bandages, and he experienced many things that ended making him remember who he is. So in the second chapter, he ends in a village with innocent children who look like monsters and the main theme was that song I love so much (with a piano opening, a dark chorale climax and a recursive but dreadful piano phrase).
In case you need to listen to this masterpiece, the game is Sanitarium and the song name is "The Innocent Abandoned". The composer name is Steve Benett.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Cybeat »

I guess the song could use french horns. I'll try it and see how it sounds. I think the best part of the music I made was the part where the bells stop playing. To pull off a resident evil music you need:

1. FL Studios
2. A VST Plugin called DSK Strings (it's free)
3. Listening to Resident Evil Soundtracks (especially the first one)

I listened to the song you was talking about. It sounded scary! It matched the setting of the game perfectly. I saw the game too. It doesn't seem like a scary game, from what I saw. Maybe only that part of the game was scary? I sometimes find ambient music very interesting.
Mujinchitai

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by yummy »

Well, I've composed something. This one is free to use, free to modify, free to whatever you want, as long as you mention I'm the original composer :D
I began composing it with an idea of "grandiosa" but ended making a music that fits a boss battle in a RPG :oops:

So here it is. It's in WAV format, so that you'll be able to remix or sample or whatever :p

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by yummy »

Another piece I intended for a high school romance story (but the project didn't advance so...).
Please feel free to use it for whatever you want (please mention I'm the author :P )

Motteke! Sailor Fuku!

Blue123
Veteran

#42 Post by Blue123 »

yummy wrote:Another piece I intended for a high school romance story (but the project didn't advance so...).
Please feel free to use it for whatever you want (please mention I'm the author :P )

Motteke! Sailor Fuku!
Motteke! Sailor Fuku!

That's very similar to the name of the Lucky star OP, heh.

On a slightly related story, I've managed to pick up a job so I can begin earning towards the £650 needed for a copy of EWQL composer's bundle... at £4 an hour. Joy.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by yummy »

Nah, the song name is just "gakuen monogatari". It means litterally "high school story" so I just put this as a link to make fun of my song name :) (sorry if that disturbed you).

And... Wah I wouldn't spend so much money on a music software :o
It's just... I don't even have the other physical machines: the keyboard for instance, the midi equipment and the dolby surround ex plus alpha speakers.

Ah, but you're right. The software is much a reliable investment than the machines :D
After all, if you're going to spend several hours composing, at least you should have something you like, right ?

By the way, what is so special about your software ?
I think I've mentioned it on another thread, I'm currently using Reason 3.0 from proppellerhead.
Its assets are its flexible soundbank, the ability to create new "instruments" from existing instruments, its piano composer, its virtual effect addons (chorus, flanger, delay), its mastering suites (maximiser, etc)...
Even after 2 years of use, I haven't unleashed its full capacity, as I'm always fiddling with only a few controls.

Blue123
Veteran

#44 Post by Blue123 »

Heh, don't worry about it.

As for my software, it's actually a virtual instrument, that I can hopefully use with my copy of Sibelius 5. What I'm looking at is the East West Quantum Leap Complete Composer's Bundle, a virtual instrument . A link:

http://www.soundsonline-europe.com/COMP ... W-166.html

Basically, it contains all of Quantum leap's best selling packs- the symphonic orchestra, choir this one's really cool. Not only is it a proper and convincing orchestra, but you can also type in words in any language to be sung realistically.), colossus (instruments that cover all the basic genres- includes brass, synth drums, percussion, rock guitars, piano, etc.), Ra (world ethinic instruments, such as sitar, digeridoo, taiko, and middle eastern strings. Covers Africa, the Americas, Far East, Middle East, and several more), as well as StormDrum and a Bosendorfer Piano.

While £650 sounds expensive- given the quality and how many instruments there are (around 130GB in total!)- it's actually good value for money. As it is a virtual instrument, I think you may be able to use it with Reason. I'm not sure, however, as I'm still new to all this business! If someone could explain to me how everything works (I know the basics, but knowing how to use samplers, VSTs, etc might be beneficial. I'd hate to buy it and not know how to use the thing), that would be great! All I have at the moment is Sibelius 5, so hopefully I can hook the two together

It really is amazing. Just listening to the demo's on the sites, it sounds as if a real orchestra is playing! Here's a link to the orchestra/choir demo tracks:

http://www.soundsonline-europe.com/EWQL ... PROB1.html

My personal favourite tracks are "The Summoning" and "Action Adventure", heh. Oh, and I did some searching and found the Ra page:

http://www.soundsonline-europe.com/Quan ... W-163.html

I can't wait. In other words, it is one of the most expensive, yet best investments you can ever make.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#45 Post by Samu-kun »

Wooaahhh... There's no way that's synthesized! That sounds way too real. @_@;