RAPT: Using 'Android Virtual Devices' for emulation?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Karl_C
Veteran

RAPT: Using 'Android Virtual Devices' for emulation?

#1 Post by Karl_C »

I'm just playing around a bit with RAPT, it seems to work very good so far.

One question: Sometimes it would be helpful to see how the game would look like on a, say, Galaxy S4.

As there are some AVD's already available (GitHub: A collection of pre-configured Android emulator configuration files (AVD and ini files)): Is it possible to use 'Android Virtual Devices' for emulation with RAPT?

Karl_C
Veteran

Re: RAPT: Using 'Android Virtual Devices' for emulation?

#2 Post by Karl_C »

I found out by myself. Actually, it IS possible to use the Android emulator installed together with RAPT.

You 'simply' have to start the Android SDK manager and let the Android SDK manager download a matching system image, then you have to create an 'Android Virtual Device'. After that you have to start the emulator and install the '.apk file' with the 'Android Debug Bridge'. All this needs several hundred MB disk space, a matching libGL, a working openGL installation and lot's of bandwidth too.

Short: Non-Developers like me should forget about that... :-D