Fantasia : Minstrel's Rhapsody Demo

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Fantasia : Minstrel's Rhapsody Demo

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

PLOT
"After Thanos was sealed by the heroes from Seldrus, people thought the dark shadows looming over the world is over. A new hope arose, that the world will be peaceful and prosperous once again.

It only made things worse.

Even though no demon lords stood to take over the world, war soon broke out again as resources dwindled. Every kingdom fought over what was left. They plotted, schemed, ravaged, stole and ultimately destroyed... until it could no longer be tolerated. This world is slowly coming to an end, too weak to cope with the desperation and hatred in the hearts of its people. The cycle of life and death has become unstable. It is impossible to recognise the land from what it once was.

This is a tale that happened in that dark age of the world, a tale of a princess who lived in Levithiana, an elven kingdom where resources were still vast, but there was no King to rule it prior to his misunfortunate demise. Upon hearing the King's death, young lads from other countries, nobles and princes alike begun to plot on having Angelica as their bride. Not only they would have a beautiful damsel as their wife, but also gaining complete control of the resources of Levithiana. This starts at the spring ball, a party that the young princess hold, the event that might be their one and only chance to accomplish that."
DEMO

I'll be happy if you leave me some feedback! :'D

Brambly
Regular
Projects: 200 Years Behind
Deviantart: fallenangel1017

Re: Fantasia : Minstrel's Rhapsody Demo

#2 Post by Brambly »

I really enjoyed the story. But near the start there are a few spelling mistakes such as words being repeated. But that twist with the princess really caught me off guard. Good job! :D

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#3 Post by azureXtwilight »

Brambly wrote:I really enjoyed the story. But near the start there are a few spelling mistakes such as words being repeated. But that twist with the princess really caught me off guard. Good job! :D
Thank you! Definitely will check it out and fix it.

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#4 Post by Saltome »

You ready for this? You better be ready cause here it comes.
Attachments
FMRNotes.txt
(7.66 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thanks for the input! The demo still used the default icon because, well, it's a demo :lol: I'll add it to the final game.
I am now considering to change the font, since from the feedback there seem to be a lot of spacing problems. Was it hard to read?

Now~
The way the story is presented I sure ask myself, how can he have two selves in the first place, especially since they appear to be separate. How did they come to be separate in the first place, and why? ...You haven't played kingdom hearts by any chance, have you?
It'll be long since the game is a (third) sequel and then I have to explain the two predecessors of this game. But basically, the second self is a residue of power created when an immortal was form and became a parasite. It's like having a twin who is constantly leeching off your food and you can't make it go away.
Icing on the cake? I think you are using that saying the wrong way, and a little research I did seems to confirm that. The icing is something better that happened after something else, that would imply that Thanos's madness has already spread to countless other worlds, and the icing is destroying this world in the end, which is the opposite of what you are trying to say. Plus it implies a positive event, and the destruction of the world can hardly be considered such. I can see logic in the way you are using it, but that's not the common way, and I'm not gonna start a discussion about how it should be used.
I see. That part was suggested by my editor, but now it doesn't seem like a good idea to put it that way XD Thanks for suggesting!
Cain had different plans..? What would those be? And why would the second in command have ulterior motives in the first place? *sigh*
Hmm, people always wonder why random ragtag parties would be able to save the world, but a prince? Why in the world is a crown prince of an entire empire no less personally chasing after some demon.
Refer to my first answer to your questions. Yay for Fantasy RPG clichés!
Damn... I forgot about checking the save menu and I went trough the entire demo before remembering.
But yes... The stile in the save menu is messed up as well, all the buttons appear to be available, wich I guess is true, but nothing changes while I'm hovering over any of them.
Can you take a screenshot so that I can see where the problem is? It seemed to work okay in my PC.

Also thank you for the grammar corrections, I will definitely fixed the mistakes I missed. Hope they don't bother you enough to not play the final product~ :)

Saltome
Veteran

#6 Post by Saltome »

azureXtwilight wrote:well, it's a demo
As long as you don't forget about it by the end.
azureXtwilight wrote:Was it hard to read?
No, not particularly, just in some rare cases it makes it hard to determine if the words aren't accidentally fused together. Which is the kind of thing I have to be watchful of as a tester.
azureXtwilight wrote: Hope they don't bother you enough to not play the final product~
Actually... It's the general plot that bothers me a little bit.
On the other hand, if I happened to get my hands on a newer possibly longer copy, I would have to go trough it again, to make sure the problems are removed, and to catch any new problems.
azureXtwilight wrote:screenshot
See how the options button does not light up, even though the cursor is over it?
...And yes, that IS Windows XP. x)
1.8g processor, 450m ram, pure gaming monster.
Explains why I'm here I suppose.
Attachments
untitled.PNG

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#7 Post by ketskari »

Just finished the demo and I love the way the background music complements the art--the color choices are just beautiful and really help to create an atmosphere.

One thing that stood out to me was a tendency to switch from past to present tense in the narration. This happened throughout... especially when describing other characters.
An unexpected knock at the door interrupts their moment.

The Lady ended her icy vigil and turned to face Angelica. She seemed bored. (Past tense)

Not surprising, as she is immortal. Evading death and being above everyone else must be tedious. (Present tense)
The twist was a fun surprise--looking forward to seeing the completed story. :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Okay I am ready to review! Seeing all of this finally executed in the game was a pleasure. It's amazing to see a new Fantasia game, especially with new art. It gives that feeling when an old classic gets a long awaited sequel, and so far it is very promising!

So, I am going to do my best to be very thorough! I am going to first list the pros and cons about the game, then suggestions, and lastly within spoiler tags, my thoughts on the story and how it has been executed. I will not comment on its shortness and feel of lack of choice, since this is a demo and I know there will be actual important choices in the full one.

Pros and Cons
What I Like:
- The musical score is, once again, top-knotch! Each game, you keep finding better and better music, which helps tp pull the player in. These tracks also sound higher quality than the previous two, really giving the feeling of going back to an old world, yet knowing the updates.
- The art is spectacular, with lovely character designs. It's amazing to see Fantasian sprites that blink with lipflaps. But, even with your improved artwork, it still carries the charm we've come to love from your style.
- The writing style in the third-person narrative rather than the first-person for the main character really works for this. It feels smooth and elegant choice of wording. Being in a third-person POV, it is obvious that you can cover more grounde this way, instead of being restricted to the eyes of a main.
- I liked how the menu changed after the demo was done!
Dislike/Disappointments:
- There's no "Options" on the main menu. The first thing I like to do when I play is set my game to Fullscreen, though luckily I can access this part of the menu through other means (like load and get it from the sidebar) but this makes it inconvenient.
- Sprites only have singular poses, though I can't complain about it too much as the previous games were like this. I know that Re:Set is most likely your top priority since it is a more complex game, and making singular pose sprites saves time on art I am sure, so this is more of a disappointment to me but doesn't hinder the experience since most Fantasia fans are used to this anyway (besides, they look more lively now with the blinking at least, and your posing has improved too).
- There is nothing in the "Bonus" section. Most, if not all, of your previous demos had extras (even if not much) so it was a little disappointing to find it empty.

Suggestions
- The beginning of the game where you explain the past events of the first two I think should be done how it was in Grand Finale, centered text instead of in the text box as this feels more like an introduction in the world giving an epic feeling (especially to fans of the original two) while its impact falls flat when in the textbox in my opinion.
- The scene which Angelica presents herself from behind the curtain for the people of the kingdoms to gaze upon her the first time, I really think an elegant CG should be there to really give the feel of the people's amazement of her beauty.
- Personally, I also think when she dances with the guys it should be an event CG as well, though not as strongly as the first CG suggestion, this would just be nicer.
- And of course, an "Options" added to the menu ^.^;

Review of The Story and its Execution
The introduction where you talk about the past events of the first two games, just like it did in Grand Finale's demo, got me extremely excited, really giving an epic feel as we anticipate the return to this world with its lore and history. Then we meet Angelica, our "protagonist" as well as the current problems of the world. Not much is thought about her until her conversation with Lady Leingold which shows that our princess holds resentment which her graceful manner is truly unable to hide. What Cheryl says about the mistakes of the past is, in a sense, a bit painful, especially what was gone through in the first two adventures as we cheered these guys on to have a happy ending, only to learn the chaos that was a side effect from it. It's painful, maybe some fans might be uncomfortable with this but that's what makes it more intriguing in a sense as well. That's just the impact I felt from it, but it's not the kind of discomfort that would stop one from playing but to shove forward in the hopes of, as a player, having the power to make it not so.

One of the most interesting aspects is how it almost seems like a normal otome game, perhaps not as epic as the first two, and that it would involve more of the political aspect of Fantasia's kingdoms with all that chaos as a backdrop. You think that Angelica is going to find a man who she may or may not learn to love. You have Esmond, a playboy who is automatically gives of a bit of a disgusting vibe, but you think maybe going down his path he'll become a better man or something. There's Reuben who is shy and honest, I liked him the most and felt he would be the one who would make her most happy as well as perhaps ease her resentment. Then the well-manner Fakir, can't say too much about him, though he seems genuinely nice and could probably bring the princess happiness. Then of course you shatter all that when Angelica's smile darkens and her maid hits these guys unconcious, only to be tied up in a dark room with Angelica declaring she will change this world and take down the gods. Oh crap, this won't be a typical fantasy otome game focusing on the political and economical aspect of the Fantasian kingdoms, oh no, and it certainly is not going to be another adventure to stop greater evil. We learn the girl we've been playing is THE ENEMY! I remember first reading this and literally was shocked, I had to pause a moment to comprehend what just happened. Not only will this be another Fantasia game with a plot of grand scale, but it was going to be darker as well.

Lastly, the epilogue including Volg. It was nice to see the familiar faces again as he sees Cain who looks quite handsome and sophisticated now, and meeting the adorable and pure Meiko. And we know so much is set up when Cain asks Volg to protect his daughter, so obviously he and Valen know something big is going to happen (after all, Valen has that special ability). The way the demo ended, as usual, leaves us wanting more. While quite short, this was the best way to end it, making us only anticipate the final product even more so, good job!
And there you have my long-winded review, haha. I personally do not see any flows in the story's flow so far, any dislikes or disappointments I have is not really with the story itself by mainly certain functions ir appearance of the game, as previously stated. Anyway, I look forward to the full game, it is exciting to enter Fantasia again and you chose a good timestamp. We not only get new characters, but the old as well~ It is certainly going to make fans of the series very happy (I know I am, oh my gosh) and perhaps draw new ones in as well~ Good luck!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#9 Post by azureXtwilight »

Saltome wrote: See how the options button does not light up, even though the cursor is over it?
...And yes, that IS Windows XP. x)
1.8g processor, 450m ram, pure gaming monster.
Explains why I'm here I suppose.
Thanks for catching that! I'll check it out and fix it later~
ketskari wrote:
An unexpected knock at the door interrupts their moment.

The Lady ended her icy vigil and turned to face Angelica. She seemed bored. (Past tense)

Not surprising, as she is immortal. Evading death and being above everyone else must be tedious. (Present tense)
The twist was a fun surprise--looking forward to seeing the completed story. :)
Thanks for noticing those! I will take a second look at the script and fix them~
Kokoro Hane wrote:Sprites only have singular poses, though I can't complain about it too much as the previous games were like this. I know that Re:Set is most likely your top priority since it is a more complex game, and making singular pose sprites saves time on art I am sure, so this is more of a disappointment to me but doesn't hinder the experience since most Fantasia fans are used to this anyway (besides, they look more lively now with the blinking at least, and your posing has improved too).
There will be a lot of character sprites so I will limit them only to one poses to save time and effort, since I am basically a one-man team ^^
Kokoro Hane wrote:There is nothing in the "Bonus" section. Most, if not all, of your previous demos had extras (even if not much) so it was a little disappointing to find it empty.
I want to keep the suspense, so no reveal about what's beyond the demo ending :p *is a lazyass*
Kokoro Hane wrote:The beginning of the game where you explain the past events of the first two I think should be done how it was in Grand Finale, centered text instead of in the text box as this feels more like an introduction in the world giving an epic feeling (especially to fans of the original two) while its impact falls flat when in the textbox in my opinion.
About that... I had have some trouble coding them in the new renpy version. Any help coding it?
Kokoro Hane wrote:The scene which Angelica presents herself from behind the curtain for the people of the kingdoms to gaze upon her the first time, I really think an elegant CG should be there to really give the feel of the people's amazement of her beauty.
Ohhh, why not!? That's a great idea, actually~ I'll make one for the final version.
Kokoro Hane wrote:Personally, I also think when she dances with the guys it should be an event CG as well, though not as strongly as the first CG suggestion, this would just be nicer.
They will all be dead and forgotten anyway, so I see no use for that.
Kokoro Hane wrote:And of course, an "Options" added to the menu ^.^;
The current main menu placement isn't quite fit to insert an options (Is an OCD so please forgive me) so I will leave it at that
Kokoro Hane wrote:. What Cheryl says about the mistakes of the past is, in a sense, a bit painful, especially what was gone through in the first two adventures as we cheered these guys on to have a happy ending, only to learn the chaos that was a side effect from it. It's painful, maybe some fans might be uncomfortable with this but that's what makes it more intriguing in a sense as well. That's just the impact I felt from it, but it's not the kind of discomfort that would stop one from playing but to shove forward in the hopes of, as a player, having the power to make it not so.
That is true. There's always two sides of a story and everyone only saw it from the Leingold's POV. But what if you're playing as someone who is not as fortunate as the immortals? I think that's the general idea here.
Kokoro Hane wrote:You have Esmond, a playboy who is automatically gives of a bit of a disgusting vibe, but you think maybe going down his path he'll become a better man or something.
I just had to quote that. My thoughts exactly XD
Kokoro Hane wrote:We learn the girl we've been playing is THE ENEMY! I remember first reading this and literally was shocked, I had to pause a moment to comprehend what just happened. Not only will this be another Fantasia game with a plot of grand scale, but it was going to be darker as well.
Sadly, yes. Although it will have it's light-hearted moments, but this will venture into a darker area of the world
Thank you so much for the reviews, guys! You've made me a very happy gal :')

Saltome
Veteran

#10 Post by Saltome »

azureXtwilight wrote:I had have some trouble coding them in the new renpy version.
Why don't you go with a normal nvl mode? Or at least some variation of it.
And if you are having specific problems with that, do tell, I may be able to figure out what the cause is.
Or you could just ask on the forum.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

Saltome wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:I had have some trouble coding them in the new renpy version.
Why don't you go with a normal nvl mode? Or at least some variation of it.
And if you are having specific problems with that, do tell, I may be able to figure out what the cause is.
Or you could just ask on the forum.
Well, with my current customization I kept failing on creating a sayer that talks right at the center of the screen, like a centered text, is all ^^;

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#12 Post by Kokoro Hane »

@azure *is too lazy to quote specific area*: Concerning centered text, which version of Ren'Py are you using? Is the code no longer

Code: Select all

centered "insert dialogue in the string"
for this function? *has yet to download newest version* If that is the case, I will download the newest version just to figure this out (I really hope the new Ren'Py maintains most of its original function)
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Kokoro Hane wrote:@azure *is too lazy to quote specific area*: Concerning centered text, which version of Ren'Py are you using? Is the code no longer

for this function? *has yet to download newest version* If that is the case, I will download the newest version just to figure this out (I really hope the new Ren'Py maintains most of its original function)
No, it seems like it's not as simple as that now D:

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Kokoro Hane »

azureXtwilight wrote:
Kokoro Hane wrote:@azure *is too lazy to quote specific area*: Concerning centered text, which version of Ren'Py are you using? Is the code no longer

No, it seems like it's not as simple as that now D:
Mmm, I see, this was one of my fears of downloading a later version of Ren'Py (I love my 6.15 darn it, lol) I can probably ask the support forum and then test it out on my own, I doubt downloading the new one will erase my current one (right?), as I still have 6.12 and 6.15 installed.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

centered should still work. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll fix it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom