Visual Novel Project needs an artist

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
crow-proxy
Deviantart: crow-proxy

Visual Novel Project needs an artist

#1 Post by crow-proxy »

(FINAL UPDATE POST)

Hello, thank you for your interest in this project of ours. I want to take this time to explain our game and future plans more in depth because we like your previous work and we are considering your candidacy. We are a small Indie Developer containing myself as the author and director, Samuel Sharrocks (American), and a programming and web developer, Adriana Vargas (Peruvian).

Our plan on releasing our game titled "Tilt" on Steam Greenlight as well as other platforms including Gog's Indie Submission, Desura, and etc. We also have plans to host it on our own website which is in development and possibly on IOS and Android devices. The price for the game is not set in stone but we'd like to publish it at $10, though no less than $5 and no more than $10. We want to do this within a few months, 3 to 6 months or sooner, but I can promise worst case scenario it will be completed within this year. We have no reason to push it farther out.

As for a sample project's story, and just to reaffirm, here's a short synopsis:
"It's December of 1980 and Hiroaki Takanashi, a sixteen year old native Japanese from a small time town, is here to study in America's Big Apple, Manhattan. It's a sleazy time in the city's history and in this troubling time our hero has come to start a new breath of life. In this freshly rotten atmosphere during a bright Christmas season he comes to find two individuals to be his first new American friends. Oliver Marion, a man in his late twenties, who in his backfiring kindness helped Hiroaki. As well as a strange blue haired girl luckily around his age hermitting herself away from the bustle in the big city. However in his excitement under the new air of the city lies truths and dangers he only ever fantasized about growing up in his sleepy rural town. Is there more to his friends than he can see or handle? How will the growing hostility between a gang called 'Walkrz' and a local mafia family, Vaccaro, seemingly unrelated to him affect him? Is there something going on behind the scenes in the cold of the city's winter? How will this Holiday with his brand new friends turn out for him? Just like he hoped? Probably not how he expected things to go."

However without getting ahead of ourselves the game is in fact a work in progress, after all we are looking for an artist. Although that work is almost done. We are in the final stages of ironing out the script and programming. The game will play out like any typical Visual Novel complete with story altering choices and multiple endings. Actually originally the game was only going to be a novel, currently sitting around 87k words (subject to change), but close to completion I started liking the idea for multiple choices and it spun into a game. It's been in work for over 3 years.
We're hoping to find an artist, like you, that can help fulfill our goal of making this game as interesting and as enjoyable as we can. We want an artist that not only will enjoy the work but that can give the game a face that sticks in the minds of our player's for years to some. Something that makes your eyes water. A game that inspires awe such as games like Transistor or the Ar Tonelico series. We want to captivate. We're looking to make art, to have an experience, foremost.

So saying that what we're looking for is the following as described by myself:
- Around 15 different characters at Half-body. This number shouldn't fluctuate but around there.
- Different emotions for each character (No more than 7 for important characters but no less than 2 for others.)
- Around 10 different backgrounds. Preferably simplistic. If we can give an example; http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/ ... 8esyo3.jpg
- Lastly some final ending artworks.
We're looking for more of a western artistic approach than the typical anime art style you see in Visual Novels. (The above example for backgrounds also gives just a rough idea of what we're going for.) We were impressed by your style in this regard.

So without further ado I want to get to artist benefits and payments. If we do infact choose you we want to make clear on what you will get for working on this project. 1) An advance payment, in increments, of $100 as you're work progresses. 2) Recognition and credits on every medium. Including on websites and in game. Clearly defined and displayed. 3) Some developer perks where applicable on such platforms as Steam. 4) A free copy of the game once completed on platforms where possible. 5) Experience on working on a game's development process as well as with equally talented individuals. 6) A fair percentage of the profits earned on some platforms.

We hope to find the right artist for "Tilt." If you are still interested or have questions please contact us at your earliest convenience. As it stands we do like your style and direction but if you respond we'd like to ask for a specific test drawing, including rough test background and character design. We'd also like to know what time frame you think could be possible for work on your side to be accomplished.

~Samuel, aka: crow
Last edited by crow-proxy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Visual Novel Project needs an artist

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

If you're going for a Steam release, then you are a commercial project, which is why I moved this thread.

If you're intending to pay your artists up-front, this thread would belong into the "Offering paid work" section, but since you didn't explicitly mention that, I assume you're offering a share of the Steam profits. If I am mistaken, just drop me a line and I'll have your thread where it belongs in a jiffy.

Also, your artists will probably want to know how much work you need them to do for you. An indication of that is probably necessary if you want people to be interested in your project.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

crow-proxy

#3 Post by crow-proxy »

Thank all who check out our project.
Last edited by crow-proxy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

scorlight
Regular

#4 Post by scorlight »

Hello, do u hv a wesite for your game? :D
Artist for rent, see my art here: http://scorlight.deviantart.com/gallery/

crow-proxy

#5 Post by crow-proxy »

We are hoping to have artwork, trailers, and screenshots to go along with our website so I should say it's still in development.

crow-proxy

#6 Post by crow-proxy »

(Artist Chosen)

Today is the day that we have come to decide, through much debating,who will be the artist that will work with us with our Visual Novel game. Not only to help realize our vision of an amazing visual novel titled Tilt but to help put their art in the eyes of many by providing the face to our game. First let us state that there were some fantastic artists that inquired. Some of whom seemed really enthusiastic about working with us. Yet in the end we choose this person based on numerous factors, art quality being of the utmost importance, including availability and communication.

Without further ado we have chosen...http://kinre.deviantart.com/

Thank you to all who took interest.
(PS Lookout for our game "Tilt" in a few months!)