Spring Thing Festival '15 Accepting Intents to Enter!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
aaronareed

Spring Thing Festival '15 Accepting Intents to Enter!

#1 Post by aaronareed »

The Spring Thing is a long-running interactive fiction event, newly revamped this year to focus on celebrating new works and bringing authors and games from different communities together. We haven't seen visual novels take part before, but we'd welcome submissions from people here. :)

(Our focus is on "text games," but that doesn't mean no graphics allowed-- just that we want to showcase games that focus on strong writing as their primary storytelling medium.)

The details can be found at the official Spring Thing site, but in brief:
  • Games must be debuts and in a well-polished state (bug tested, etc.)
  • You must submit an intent to enter by March 1st, and your game itself by April 1st.
  • Your game must be free to play, and will be archived on the Spring Thing site after the competition ends, although:
  • You can instead submit to the "Back Garden" to showcase a demo of a game you're planning to sell, or a polished excerpt of something unfinished.
Check out the site for more info, and I'm happy to answer any questions here or sent to aaron at springthing.net. Thanks, and happy writing!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Spring Thing Festival '15 Accepting Intents to Enter!

#2 Post by PyTom »

First off, thank you for coming to the forum. While the visual novel community has been apart from the IF community, I think that's mostly a historical accident, based on where the medium developed. So I think anything that brings IF and VNs together is probably a good thing.

We do run a forum event here during the month of March. NaNoRenO is our yearly development challenge, where the rules are roughly "Make a visual novel during the month of March." I don't think these two events are actually in conflict with each other - I think it's quite reasonable to submit an Intent to Enter to Spring Fling, develop your game as part of NaNoRenO, and then release it as part of the Spring Fling festival. Based on how I read it, people can participate in both events at the same same time - is that your understanding?

Either way, thanks for letting us know about this.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

aaronareed

#3 Post by aaronareed »

Cool! Yeah, it definitely looks like NaNoRenO participants should be fine to submit their games to Spring Thing, too, as long as an "intent to enter" for the game is submitted on the Spring Thing site by March 1st. (And there's no penalty or anything for dropping out if your game doesn't get finished in time to submit.) Hope to see some submissions! :)

aaronareed

#4 Post by aaronareed »

UPDATE: If you submitted to Spring Thing but didn't get an e-mail today with further instructions, please contact me directly at aaron at springthing dot net. It looks like we were having some intermittent trouble with the submission form. Apologies!