Macromedia Director - player's name input

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
graffiti

Macromedia Director - player's name input

#1 Post by graffiti »

Hello, i've been visiting this forum for a while but only just signed up so i could be imparted with knowledge from the experts! :D

I'm working on a dating sim with a group of friends; your truly in charge of programming. I've decided to build the game in Macromedia Director MX as i'm most familiar with it (basic Lingo, at least; enough to run the game).

Here's the question.

Is there a script in Director that enables the player to input a name for a character (the player), have Director remember the name and then place the name where it is specified to appear? Like how you can pick any name for the main character in an RPG game and it comes up in dialogs.

Please and thanks!

lightdancer

Re: Macromedia Director - player's name input

#2 Post by lightdancer »

[Edit]:

I'm sorry for my stupid mistake! How could I overlook Macromedia Director? Sorry!

I myself don't use Macromedia, so I'm not sure, but maybe it has to do with text input (text options panel)? :?
Last edited by lightdancer on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#3 Post by delta »

lightdancer wrote:The way to do this is described in the demo:

init:
$ povname = ""
$ pov = DynamicCharacter("povname")

init start:
$ povname = renpy.input("What is your name?") or Macro

pov "My name is %(povname)s!"

This should work. If not, take a look at the demo. Please note that that "or Macro" will name your character "Macro" if you don't give in any name and click enter.
I laughed heartily. Finally someone goes out of their way to post a non-Ren'Py related question in the non-Ren'Py related section, and then...
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

lightdancer

#4 Post by lightdancer »

delta wrote:
I laughed heartily. Finally someone goes out of their way to post a non-Ren'Py related question in the non-Ren'Py related section, and then...
Well, I'm sorry, it was my stupid mistake. I just clicked through the posts and didn't notice that it was a non-ren'py related topic or that it said Macromedia in flaming colours. A moment of stupidy.

But can't you at least help and answer the question instead of being sarcastic? Because you aren't helping either. Well, if you have finished laughing, that is...

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#5 Post by delta »

It's been a while since I last used Director (and I wager that hardly anyone else here does either), but this seems to fit the bill:

http://webzone.k3.mah.se/k3jolo/Lingo/lingo2.htm
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.