[DISCUSSION]What art style speaks to you the most?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
CrunchyShadow
Regular
Projects: Seinaru Ai

[DISCUSSION]What art style speaks to you the most?

#1 Post by CrunchyShadow »

Recently I've seen some new ideas about art styles. I was wondering what the LSF community thinks of non-drawing/non-anime art styles? Personally I like the anime style better but I appreciate 3D art too. What do you guys think?
Anime/Pencil or 3d?
EDIT: Below is a good example of appealing 3D

EDIT: This image is from Slumberland. Author: Donmai
Last edited by CrunchyShadow on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Somehow I feel that no one cares about signatures~

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: [DISCUSSION]What art style speaks to you the most?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I tend to like any sort of art as long as it is done well and matches the story.
3D done well? Awesome!
Pop Art done well? Awesome!
Art Nouveau done well? Awesome!
Stick Figures done well? Awesome!

I do, however, how two exceptions that I can think of at the moment.
Big Boobed Cutesy Anime style.
And Rob Liefield style roided out super hero style.

I didn't really used to have a problem with the cutesy anime style...until I started playing lots of visual novels. It is so ubiquitous...and a lot of it isn't done very well...not bad...but not inspiring....I just don't like it. I see a game with that style and I'm turned off and unlikely to pick it up. This doesn't mean I dislike Japanese art in general. If there were a game that looked like the art of Ryoichi Ikegami I would snap that up really quickly! More classic Japanese art, like work by Sesshu, I'd also snap that up really quickly. I'm just not excited by the standard I see in a lot of VNs. I remember playing 999 and just being continuously irritated by the character art...especially with how disjunct it was with the background art. Basically, things people often call moe tend to really irritate me.

As for that Rob Liefield style, I just think it is really sexist and has no sense of anatomy.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#3 Post by noeinan »

I have a hard time with most 3D art-- it can work if it's more cartoony (so you skip out on the Uncanny Valley issue). It can be more Western cartoony of more anime, either can work, but 3D + realism isn't there yet in my opinion. (Dokapon Kingdom is an example of 3D I like: https://www.google.com/search?q=legend+ ... B640%3B480 )

Between Western cartoons and anime, I usually like anime. However, generic anime styles usually turn me off-- if all the characters have the same face and body shape with different hair for example. (Only Six Faces and Mukokuseki are the bane of my existence.) Or if all the female characters have HUGE eyes and all the male characters don't. I prefer anime styles that allow for more diversity of shape and size, different shapes of eyes instead of always the same one, etc.

CrunchyShadow
Regular

#4 Post by CrunchyShadow »

Opinions? First time art by my friend
https://plus.google.com/108927767410390 ... 0390303474

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I just don't really like static 3D art, it usually falls into uncanny valley territory. Moving 3D art can be good though. Usually I prefer drawings if in 2D.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#6 Post by Hijiri »

SundownKid wrote:I just don't really like static 3D art, it usually falls into uncanny valley territory. Moving 3D art can be good though. Usually I prefer drawings if in 2D.
I second this. The thing 3D art has over 2D is that it can move, which can make even the must ugly 3D models look good enough. (Ever saw ReBoot?)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

CrunchyShadow
Regular

#7 Post by CrunchyShadow »

Hijiri wrote:
SundownKid wrote:I just don't really like static 3D art, it usually falls into uncanny valley territory. Moving 3D art can be good though. Usually I prefer drawings if in 2D.
I second this. The thing 3D art has over 2D is that it can move, which can make even the must ugly 3D models look good enough. (Ever saw ReBoot?)
I third this lmao

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#8 Post by Donmai »

Usually I tend to skip discussions that return to the tired "3D art = Uncanny Valley" theme, but...
Sounds like complete non-sense to me. People here talk about Uncanny Valley like it is a "feature" of 3D art only. No, badly made hand drawings can also have this effect. I believe that's how Trooper feel about most moé dolls he has seen. Only badly done 3D art can fall on that territory.
trooper6 wrote:I tend to like any sort of art as long as it is done well and matches the story.
3D done well? Awesome!
Pop Art done well? Awesome!
Art Nouveau done well? Awesome!
Stick Figures done well? Awesome!
This.
Hijiri wrote:
IMO what makes 3D art look good is lots of technique and hard work, like on any form of art expression. The artist needs to know what to do with camera angles, light and shadow, surface shaders and atmospheric effects, and usually a 3D artist needs to have nearly the same skills of a photographer or an illustrator.
CrunchyShadow wrote:
Hijiri wrote:
I third this lmao
Do you know that the image you used to illustrate your first post is a piece of 3D art?
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by trooper6 »

And very excellent 3D art it is!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#10 Post by Rinima »

I have a rather strong pull towards semi-realism art.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

n0tgin
Regular

#11 Post by n0tgin »

To me, it doesn't matter much what the art style is, as long as it's done well. This pretty much applies to everything, but I know this is not the case for everyone.
Though... I do have art styles I don't like.
Mainly moe styles. Especially if those moe characters have large breasts. Like, if your character's breasts are bigger than their head, it's time to sit down and consider your priorities.

Ones I like are more josei/seinen-ish art styles, mainly because it's less sparkles and... I think it just looks softer? I like styles which are either sharp and vibrant or can convey softness.

Also, regarding 3D art, although many think it can head towards the 'uncanny valley', we shouldn't really be discouraging people who want to try it out, maybe it'll work out for them, maybe it won't.
trooper6 wrote:As for that Rob Liefield style, I just think it is really sexist and has no sense of anatomy.
Yeah, I just... that style kinda baffles me. That's not how the human waist works!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by trooper6 »

n0tgin wrote: Mainly moe styles. Especially if those moe characters have large breasts. Like, if your character's breasts are bigger than their head, it's time to sit down and consider your priorities.

Ones I like are more josei/seinen-ish art styles, mainly because it's less sparkles and... I think it just looks softer? I like styles which are either sharp and vibrant or can convey softness.
trooper6 wrote:As for that Rob Liefield style, I just think it is really sexist and has no sense of anatomy.
Yeah, I just... that style kinda baffles me. That's not how the human waist works!
I love n0tgin right now. Very much!
A Close Shave:

otome games

#13 Post by otome games »

as awsome as 3D art is i prefer anime,because anime art makes any character look good

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#14 Post by potouto »

otome games wrote:as awsome as 3D art is i prefer anime,because anime art makes any character look good

(I can't help myself)
As for me, I'm fine with any as long as they are presentable. For games, I enjoy seeing semi-realistic 3D art (I'm a Sims nerd and a sucker for all of those semi-realism out there) and cartoonish style because they look hells cute in game, I can't even talk about how rad they are. I'm a bit leaning toward the western and cartoony style more ehh?? Though as long as they look good, everything should be all right. I mean, there are some pretty great artist can combine both eastern and western style into 2D and 3D art.

yeah well | commission | website

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#15 Post by Rossfellow »

Josie wrote:[Image]
This is the best laugh I've had today.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair