R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 6/01/08, we aren't dead >.o)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
bloodywyvern
Veteran

R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 6/01/08, we aren't dead >.o)

#1 Post by bloodywyvern »

UPDATE: Overhauled update system:

I have separated the entirety of the project in to three separate sections, this is not to say all of them must be completed in order to finish a game. Reality's Dream is a game all in itself. Second Dream is on hold, and Jamais Vu has entered the writing stages.

Script progress:

R.E.M: Reality's Dream
  • Story(unedited words)- 156,000 [100%]Day 1- Complete, Editing- 100%
    Day 2- Complete, Editing- 100%
    Day 3- Complete, Editing- 100%
    Day 4- Complete, Editing- 100%
    Day 5- Complete, 33% (Or something like that)

Routes: Kisa, Shiori, Setsuko, Masumi
    Routes Completed: Kisa, Setsuko, Masumi, Shiori
    Endings: 8

Date Started: 1/03/08
    Date Finished: 3/30/08
R.E.M: Second Dream(ON HOLD)
  • Projected script size: N/A
    Started: N/A

Routes: Yuka, Mizume
    Engings: N/A
R.E.M: Jamais Vu
  • Concept: Complete
    Projected Script Size: None
    Current Script size: 10000
    Started: 4/01/08
Note:While I plan to do all three, I can not say the same for the staff members who come on board for the first project Reality's Dream. I am simply informing everyone as to where I plan for all of this to go on my writing end ^^. I do hope members who help me on the first will be able to find the time to carry over to the other sections, but if not my writing will not cease.

Sound progress:

Tracks(RD): 6/11 Original Tracks, 55%. Bonus Tracks- 2
SFX(RD): 70% (I've slowly collected a small amount to use, have a few more free ones to track down.)
Tracks(SD): N/A
Tracks(JV): N/A

Art progress(to begin shortly):

Concept Art(RD): 100% (10/10 characters)
Production Art(RD): 10% (Maybe?)

Staff Positions:

Active:
Team Leader/Lead Writer/Programming- bloodywyvern
Editor/Secondary Writer- Threevenge
Sketch Artist- Cybeat
CG coloring/Composer- storm-and-fire
Composer- GraMana
Background Artist- qq
Web programming- Deto15(?)
Logo Design- Cybeat

Inactive:
Character Artist- candydive

Open(Critical):
CG event artist
Background Artist I'll take offers, but we do have an artist.

Open(Optional):
Opening Movie

Note: We will accept offers on filled positions, provided that your work matches or surpasses the current staff and your able to work with the original staff of the position.

Without further adieu I present you with a short background of the story/characters as well as the opening scene preview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Series: R.E.M™ (Remembering Eternal Memories)
Title: Reality's Dream
Genre: Modern Fantasy/Romance
Style: Original English language visual novel (inspired by things like Tsukihime, but entirely original...I should know, I'm writing it ^_^)
Developer: Longshot Productions
Engine: Officially Ren'Py

Main concept: Ravaged by internal strife, fatal betrayal and hidden secrets the Nakamora family has been almost completely wiped out. The last few members spend their days separated from the normal flow of society connected to a small city by only one road. Nakamora Shinji has had his entire life torn apart by his past, remaining mentally unstable and just recalling memories becomes a painful toll on his body. Despite this those events gave him a power no human should have, surely it was not as practical as the types he read about in comics when as a child. None the less he found himself capable of reading the muscle movements within those around him, decoding their movements even before they could act on them. Every movement within the body must spark a signal from the brain, but what happens if another can access that information before their own body? This is the curse placed upon Nakamora Shinji. As the mysteries revolving around his family grow closer Shinji must find his way through the truth or risk losing everything close to him.

Main Characters:

Nakamora Shinji
Role: Protagonist
Description: One of the last two members of his family he has been suffering from chronic mental trauma since a kid, because of this Shinji tends to be very carefree about his life opting to try and have just a bit more fun with his time. Although it's impossible for him to shut off his power he has learned to ignore it. When he concentrates on using it his mind is placed under strain. Both of his parents were killed before the stories start. Despite being older then his sister he has no control over his family's documents and finances.

Nakamora Setsuko
Role: Sister/Story Route
Description: One of the last two members of her family she has taken responsibility for the well fair of her brother. In private she works hard to overwrite the lack of discipline in him, but in public she plays the part of the innocent little sister. Despite her stubborn attitude towards a lot of things she spends a lot of time worrying and struggling to make sure Shinji is always taken care of.

Kisa
Role: Transfer Student/Story Route
Description: Giving the appearance of elegance of nobility Kisa tends to keep a lot of secrets about herself. Her background and reasons for transfer are completely shrouded in mystery. It is eventually revealed she is not exactly human, and has come to Shinji's town in search of something involving his family.

Aiko Shiori
Role: Best Friend/Story Route
Description: The typical bookworm Shinji met when they were still just kids. Both were relative outcasts from their schoolmates and instead took to hanging out with each other. She comes from a rather prominent family within the city and still attends school alongside him. Her family tends to be strict, for more reasons than one.

Miwa Masumi
Role: Foreigner/Story Route
Description: A relative new comer to the city she expresses great interest in finding someone she insists is in town. Despite this strange happenings seem to surround her from every angle. Tends to be dressed in old fashioned priestess robes she is known for using nonsense logic to win her arguments. Masumi is heavily related to the cause of the circumstances befalling the town in the shadows.

Side Characters (by side I don't mean unimportant, more like less air time):

Yuka
Role: Maid
Description: Serving the Nakamora family since a small child she is the only remaining staff at their mansion. Despite her position she is treated as one of the family and often joins the siblings for dinner. She takes a hands on role in caring for Shinji and it is unknown how much of this is on orders from Setsuko.

Fukuya Mizume
Role: Family Doctor
Description: Mizume has served the Nakamora family has their head doctor for several years, she is a tough and somewhat strong willed person who is not easily surprised. Despite referring to Shinji as a nuisance, she really does care for their health. Shinji tends to clash with her a lot, seeing her as 'evil incarnate', though maybe he just dislikes needles.

Mioto Ryota
Role: Friend
Description: Long time friend of Shinji who tends to keep away from most of the other students. Although he is both strong and friendly many students are afraid to approach him due to his overly strange personally. Takes habit to making jokes at Shinji's expense.

Iwao Hotaka
Role: Unknown
Description: A boy who occasionally appears to Shinji, and seems to be a rather young child. Sadly appearances can often be deceiving, he has close ties with Masumi.

Kazuo Aki & Kazuo Kaoru
Role: Servants
Description: Two twins who are working towards the agenda of their master, although their personalities are polar opposites they both will sacrifice anything to achieve their goals.

Aiko Asai
Role: Unknown
Description: The father to Shiori he plays a large if relatively unseen role in the events of the story. A strict and indifferent man, he has very little respect for others. His calm and cold ways make him a dangerous and immoral soul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are small descriptions since anything else would risk giving away plot points in the story. The story is an ever shifting element as I write it (New ideas come in, and old ones die) but what's here is pretty much stone by now baring unforeseen circumstances.

Opening:

A memory I can't forget, the empty silence of our house's greeting room. It wasn't like people weren't talking...it was just that the sound itself was being drawn out of the room like a vacuum. The lips of family and friends moved endlessly all over the room. He had told me to stay here in this over crowded home, that he would be fine.

I pushed through the crowd as best I could as their figures towered over me, mocking the child trying desperately to reach the door. In my mind I could feel the anxiety build like a storm, something seemed wrong...no something WAS wrong. The fear swirled and ravaged my mind's thoughts with such a ferocity it felt ready to burst. My heart raced desperately pumping blood to calm the burning sensation filling my body.

Hot...

It was hot...so very hot, my breath was labored but silent like this film. There was no other way to describe it, one of those old black and white movies my father loved so much. No one noticed me as I rubbed my parched neck desperately begging for water...air...something, anything.

The door was open...I could see it, I could see my fathers figure next to another. Where was the light...? Why wasn't there any light? The sun was up...but nothing, going against everything I knew of the world. My body tripped over itself, I couldn't explain the feeling inside of me. It wanted me to go back and get some water, to leave the scene rolling around in front of me.

I reached the door way where his figure was just moments away staring at the smaller figure of my uncle. Something in his hand reflected light from the sun that was not there, it didn't make any sense. Or more likely a child like me couldn't make sense of it. My footsteps were slower now, sweat pouring off my body. It was so hot...but no sun...why?

The house was surrounded by the beautiful scenery of a small town, but that wasn't exactly right...the town it self was not beautiful just this home. A family too old to trace back and homes too glamorous to not notice. Only this place was tucked with it's back to a mountain and surrounded by the brilliant waves of tree's in the summer breeze. The trees danced back and forth but nothing happened...it was so quiet, their color was gone.

I labored forth my eyes glazed in a sudden burst of red, the color returned but only in that...red shades painted everywhere like blood on a canvas.

Blood...

My fathers blood...

I could see it, the dripping substance of a human...dropping silently on to the single road to their family home. I was a child...I didn't understand...My father couldn't be bleeding...He just couldn't be. He stood there like a pillar without any hint of pain, so it didn't make sense to be bleeding.

Maybe I came too close because my uncle seemed to notice me. There was an awkward smirk on his face and the blade in his hand gave off such a glare of non existent light that I thought I might go blind. It hurt my eyes...my eyes that suffered from the painted blood stains of the world. My knees gave out without me even noticing leaving me staring up at the two figures.

My father...I think he was angry with me..

He stared at me out of the corner of his eyes with a glare while his lips flapped and flapped, he must have been yelling. Before I knew it they were arguing back and forth. My head hurt though...throbbed from every side, I couldn't concentrate.

My uncle turned to me and smiled like he always did when he came to visit. He jumped at me and my eyes closed tightly from the growing red white glare from that blade, if I left my eyes open I would surely see something no child should see.

But opening them anyway...the paint smeared my face.

My body felt heavier...He was leaning against me...His lips were moving but I couldn't understand. I tried to ask him to speak up but the words wouldn't come, just pain from my parched throat. The red's grew darker...the trees burned with the crimson color...but that wasn't right, it wasn't fall yet...

The weight kept growing until finally my fathers body fell to the side...and my vision blurred even more. Was it the blood in my eyes...or the tears? I didn't understand...why was there blood, why was I crying...

But they kept coming...

I must have looked utterly pathetic at that moment looking up at the blurred face of my uncle. I could see the warped view of his hand rise up against the sun that did not exist in this red world.

I think my brain exploded then...

My mind jerked and cried so suddenly I lost all thought. Yet my body reacted. Something was telling me his arm would come down from the left...yes this child's left side would be torn apart with something like that. If I moved backward his hand would thrust forward and pierce my heart...yes I knew this, I was sure of this...

So with a shattered mind an a burned up body of ash I ran forward grabbing the dropped weapon of my fathers and stabbed him...But even then...

I didn't understand...
Last edited by bloodywyvern on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:24 am, edited 87 times in total.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: Untitled Project

#2 Post by bloodywyvern »

Here's another scene of the story that follows the opening which leads up to the very first choice of the story (a simple one at that). I used a shorthand naming system to cut down on how much I need to write considering how large the script will be. In case you can't figure it out...

P: Protagonist
D: Doctor
Y: Yuka

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not really sure when I realized what had happened to me on that day, when the place I lived became a living memory. So many restless nights were spent...so many dreams digging in to my brain. I guess it would be impossible to call myself normal anymore with how things turned out...

My brain exploded...

That's the only thing I could think about after that tragic event, it took every doctor in the hospital to calm me down and get me back to my room. No matter how many times they came after me I was one step ahead of them, literally.

D: “Nakamora Shinji-kun! Please stop!”

The doctor chased me around every corner with those small round glasses sliding from side to side, just barely contained on the short nose.

P: “No! Go away, don't touch me!”

Before the doctor could even reach out his hand to grab the back of my clothes I had dashed beyond his reach. I passed doors full of patients and windows letting in waves of light. The breeze chased me down the halls through the parted windows.

D: “S-someone...stop that...patient!”

A nurse had been the one to stop me. I fought with her who calmly held me still with only her hand, grabbing the top of my head line a crane game. Clawing at her pink uniform was the best I could do until fatigue took over. I was tired...but soon she would push me back to my room...I knew this...I knew the future.

No seeing the future was not what I could do.

It was as if you knew the exact move to make no matter what state a rubix cube was in. Even though you know exactly how to solve it every time, the speed of it is still determined by your body's limitations. That is the far as I ever got trying to explain it to myself even...

In a sense I became capable of reading the thoughts of others. I can't tell you what they plan to have for lunch...or if a girl liked a friend of mine but wouldn't admit it. I also can't do something like draw the memories out from someone's mind. Those would probably be more useful skills...more fun at least.

When someone decides to make some sort of action the brain must sent a signal to the muscles in order to fulfill the action. Sometime within that millisecond transmission it's like I decode that information and can act against it. I know how a person's muscles will act before they can move them.

Of course I didn't tell anyone about such a thing, not my best friends, nor my relatives and especially not the hospital staff. Though it left me in an awkward position, I found out entirely too soon that using this power took a heavy toll on my body.

A mind was not created to decode the mind of another...

Beep....Beep...Beep...Beeeeeeeeeeep.

P: “Ugh someone turn that thing off...”

The persistent sounds of the alarm, sinking through the sheet lifted over my head and abusing my ears. Why did I ever let Setsuko talk me in to such an unholy thing?

Y: “Shinji-san I'm coming in.”
P: “Just let me sleep...!”

The patter of footsteps dripping in to the floor swept away by the agonizing attack of this modern inconvenience. Like a gift from god the sound disappeared in all but a moment.

Y: “Please wake up Shinji-san, you do realize it's past 7 already...”
P: “WHAT!?”

Of course it would have to be after 7, I had set that abomination of a clock as a last line of defense against being late for school. Normally I would be the type to wake up on my own, whether it be from some sort of dream or just out of habit. Occasionally though my internal clock would rupture, hence the alarm.

Y: “If you don't hurry you won't be able to have breakfast Shinji-san”
P: “No time for breakfast, I have to get going right now!”
Y: W-wait Shinji-san, you have to have something-!”

The trailing voice of Yuka followed me on the way through the house to get ready for school. Yuka was the maid for the house, when there was more to our family we used to have a lot more. Now with only three people in the home it made little sense to keep more then one maid.

Within ten minutes I was out the door with my bag thrown over my shoulder, it would surely be a close call this morning. My throat suddenly felt dry as the sun bore down on me from above.

So very hot...

P: “Ah...Ow...not now”

My temple throbbed and my breathing was thrown out of control. This was not something new in the least, I had been plagued with this for many years now and remained confident it would pass in but a moment.

Thump, Thump.

My heart raced to keep up with my body under the burning sun, and then as suddenly as it came the pain beating within me came to a stop.

P: “Ahh...ha...”

I couldn't even say how long I was in that state of unconsciousness, lost to the outside world within the black and white images of the past. All I could think of was how the house itself was entirely too far from the main town tucked away in their paradise.

School...

That's right I was heading to school, wasn't I?

P: “There's no way I could make it on time...what should I do...?”

No, if I run I can still make it on time!
It wouldn't hurt to miss just one day...
Last edited by bloodywyvern on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scripts in planning- 1

#3 Post by Guest »

Good progress. Keep it up.

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#4 Post by risingbamboobanana »

you've caught my interest :P i'm already impressed. i'd volunteer as a character artist but i've got my hands full at the moment with several projects, including DENEB. i can still help out some though, i guess, so drop me a line if you have anything for me to do :D
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#5 Post by bloodywyvern »

Haha yay I caught someone's interest great, it's actually quite a simple story and my first attempt at a project this large but it should be fairly well. There's nothing 'too' complicated in it's layout and choices aren't that important except for a few key ones. It's actually an introductory project to get used to the style, and prepare for a much more in depth and powerful story I have planned. I'm planning to have the entire script done by the end of February. I hope at least, depends on how motivated I am.

If you'd like to help that's great! ^_^ But I'd prefer if you simply waited for a more opportune moment for yourself, I'm not going on a time table for anything except writing so feel free to concentrate on everything you have planned. If in the future though you find yourself without a project, considering I've seen your artwork I'd love to have the help ha ha. I appreciate the offer none the less though, it's just this project is somewhat large in scale (The lager the script, the larger the scenes and images that go along with it normally.)

I'm trying to decide if there are any other scenes I could post, but that's low on my to do list so meh. My writing abilities only transfer to a certain degree with the new style, so I'm counting on this to get me in the game for the second one while also hopefully producing a memorable if not horribly complicated story ^^
Scripts in planning- 1

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 1/30/08)

#6 Post by bloodywyvern »

Alright time to discuss my newest update on the progress *points to top of first post* the script size had about a 10% jump from the last update, which is a fairly decent jump within 4 days. I'm still working hard on this while also planning two other projects for when it's finished, so to expand on the open positions (even though no one wants them haha) I would prefer people who wouldn't mind working long term over several projects.

The name has been decided upon as you can see by the title, since the story has a lot to do with the effects of dreams and the past on reality. As I'm sure a lot of people know R.E.M stands for Rapid Eye Movement, but for the purposes of this story it stands for Remembering Eternal Memories.

Thanks anyone who is following the updates on this story, sorry no new scenes to show you without going in to the actual routes (which I'd rather not do, but might later on).

Back to writing for me! *poofs*
Scripts in planning- 1

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 1/30/08)

#7 Post by Sakurazaki »

Of course I'm following this topic :3 Interesting title you chose. I quite like it. As for your script...lol you work a lot more than I do. I hope to see more from you!
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 2/02/08)

#8 Post by bloodywyvern »

Little piece of updateness:

Projected script size may be incorrect!

Now before you start saying 'I knew it couldn't be that long! Content cut, Content cut!' I will deny that right now, no content is being cut from the script. Actually a scene or two has been added to the in progress parts :'P Which means the final size may be a bit larger then originally expected. Actually the size keeps becoming larger and larger...

The first four days in the five I mentioned within the story end in a dream sequence, since the story is tied heavily within memories and dreams. So although these dream sequences alone may not hold much significance for you, I now present the much smaller but still relevant Day 2- Dream

P: Protagonist
N: Father (It's obvious, but meh)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Such beautiful colors of spring, the blooming flowers and the cool wind sweeping through the grass. Waves of green lapped over each other in an ocean of life, putting out the sweet scents of flowers.

Through that unparalleled beauty my sword sliced down for what felt like the thousandth time. Again I drew back and slashed down in the same drill, carefully moving and sliding my feet in a delicate rhythm.

N: “That's right, just like that. Your getting the hang of it.”
P: “F-father...why...haa...do I have to...haa...train like this?”

The beads of sweat blurred my vision and poured off my aching body, my hands shook with the strain of each slash and my ragged breath mirrored the heaving chest.

N: “It is the traditional art of my family, I once worked at this every day as well.”

Finally with the next swing my arms gave way and the steel sword dropped to my feet, sticking in the soft ground. Desperately I clung to the blade to hold a child's heaving body up.

N: “Alright let's take a break.”
P: “Y-yes father...”

Plopping down in to the grass I stared out over the sweeping plains to the distant forest that made up our back yard. Surely no normal family should have such land...

Quietly my father sat beside me passing over a small bowl of stew for lunch.

N: “Yuka made this special for us, so eat it all now.”
P: “Yes, I will!”

Even without being told I would have finished the bowl, aching to replace the energy taken in these endless training sessions. Together we ate under the blazing sun.

P: “Father, why do we have so much land when everyone in the city has so little?”

He smiled and rubbed my head, knowing I was too young to understand.

N: “Our family is very old, your mothers side was very wealthy and was capable of buying such expansive land.”
P: “But why is it so far from the city?”
N: “Sometimes families have things to hide...even from each other.”

I was a child without ever knowing what he meant, why he said it.

P: “Hide...?”
N: “One day you might need to use the training I give you, so when the time comes remember to give it your all or risk losing it all.”
P: “Yes father, if you say so...”

It was interesting to see the image of my father, and an image of a child that never grew up to be an adult. That child died with his parents, leaving behind something a lot less worthy no longer concerned with the duty's of family tradition.

We kept at those exhausting sessions under my fathers expert tutelage, from when the sun rose above the trees to when it sunk back down again.
Last edited by bloodywyvern on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scripts in planning- 1

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 2/07/08)

#9 Post by bloodywyvern »

Well let's get down to business about the update. Rather then force you to look up to find the progress, the script size has expanded 9000 words in the past 5 days to 51,000. This brings day 3 up to 75% and is also a 10% increase to the overall size if you go by the projected size. The projected one is still utter crap and conservative, with my mind planning an ever growing story as I write it.

Now since it doesn't seem I'll find people to help me on this VN any time soon...if I reach the end of the four routes without anyone offering help (or maybe even if they do :3) I am considering an additional two routes to the story. One using the side character Yuka, and a second one as a linear teaser to the background of my second planned script.

What script size would I project if adding those two?

120-150K

I can only give that broad range since I haven't gone in to the actual planning of it. Anyway I'm tired as hell...my next update will come when I finish day 3 (One more route to go, so another 3-5 days probably), so night!

PS: Just to see if anyone is interested in this story, if I receive three comments before the next update I will post another piece of the story up ^^ Bribe? Damn right.

candydive

#10 Post by candydive »

Oh~ this sounds interesting. I'd like to help out as a character artist if my art meets your standards. Here's my Deviantart gallery http://anael-chan.deviantart.com/ (I won't be able to draw regularly until the beginning of march, though).

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#11 Post by bloodywyvern »

Alright as promised I've updated the script progress with an additional 20,000 words bringing it up to 71K. The new projected script size is officially 130K, but will probably grow again depending on my decisions on how to deal with writing it, revising, and what I want to do about adding routes. I know I said I'd update when I finished day 3 but eh I went farther then that. I've deciding to forgo finishing all of day 4, and instead finish off each route before moving on. Masumi's route is growing close to completion, in which I might release her route script up until day 2.

On another note candydive has officially joined as a character artist, so I'll be working with her to get the character concepts down. So far she's doing an excellent job ^^.

Don't forget we still have many more positions to fill though *pouts* But thanks for keeping up with the progress, and look forward to hearing more!
Scripts in planning- 1

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 2/13/08)

#12 Post by bloodywyvern »

Ah...March 1st, brand new month, brand new life...and brand new work to finish. It's been two months since this project was started and I've finally hit my first landmark with the writing, 100k. Everything I have predicted has been wrong, making predictions doesn't seem to be a strong thing of mine. I've overhauled the updates on the first post yet again to more deeply reflect what's being done. Also a few more (I think 3-4) character bio's were added...and maybe one or two sentences to some of the other ones. If anyone wants more information on what I mean by splitting the project in to three (and how they connect) I'll be happy to answer any questions. Actually in theory I have a side story in mind that could become a forth section >.> (Gawd this is shaping to be huge, isn't it?)

I've finished two routes, with the last two still having a good 30-40k left to do between them. I really hate using word counts to represent where the story is, but for now I'll keep with it. Most importantly is that I'm proud of where the story is going, it's taken a life of it's own. My original plans while vague did establish a certain form and shape to the overall story...now though it's writing itself, many of my original ideas where morphed along the way. I'm really enjoying writing this, so it's good this won't be the end.

I've nicknamed this month “The March Steamroller” because I hope to get lots done on Reality's Dream, and let me move in to Second Dream. My editor threevenge has been doing a good job so far, I've been working closely with him to make sure each edit creates the same feel just in an overall better set up. Some very subtle things get overlooked that can break or make a story.

candydive has been busy lately, but she should be finishing up with her exams or projects and the like sometime soon. I'll return to helping her get the idea for the art as well once she's available.

This is my hopeful goals for March (modified):

1.)Finish up all four of the originally planned routes, creating an end to my first idea (before I expanded it with the other sections). Completed
2.)Successfully edit through the first two story days worth of text Completed
3.)Finish and post concept art by candydive for as many characters as possible. Goal not met
4.)Find enough filtered photos to produce a decent demo. Idea scratched

Now what comes after this will sound more like a blog, and isn't *too* important so feel free to skip.

I've really learned a lot through what I've done so far, the experience of writing something of this size all on my own is phenomenal. I haven't benefited from the flexibility of having 2 or more writers collaborating, and writing each route separately. It's truly amazing to see myself accomplish this much writing, I never knew my appreciation for VN's would take me this far. I've never been able to stick to a story this easily, all the way through. It's actually been fun the entire time.

My only concerns are whether I'll get the appropriate staff for the other positions to complete a game, because this script WILL finish, I have no doubt. At first I wondered if maybe my goals were set too high, but maybe that was a good thing. Because of it the staff members I have gotten so far have been truly great in talent and personality. I am so thankful for their help up until this point it's not even funny. My other concern is the programming, while I will be forced to use Ren'Py (this isn't to say the engine isn't wonderful, easy to use, and powerful) rather than my original choice of Onscripter (damn lack of documentation) I worry whether or not it will suite my needs. I am not a programmer, or even close to one...my knowledge in the realm would be a giant 0. Ren'Py is good for that, but I want to make a true VN...and the NVL mode sort of disappoints me. Basically it's just a text box expanded to the whole screen, which in a sense is ok...just not what I pictured. Plus the NVL clear screen command seems tedious to me. I don't have the skill to adjust the files, configurations, etc. to perfectly suite my needs. I may settle for going along the way of the text box games rather than full screen text...just to make it easier on myself.

On another note I'm really looking forward to the tile engine by chronoluminaire. While finding a team to do a project after this one will be a pain in it's own, since it's already hard right now...I think it would be fun to give it a shot. An idea I had before could plausibly be adapted to that style and actually be better than the original. So I really hope he works out everything, and I'm cheering him on (silently).

I also happened to notice this project listed in the giant ATP English list, which while may not be huge since pretty much every announced English title ends up there...I find it a massive achievement in my pride, to actually have this be considered a project. I may just be looking too far in to it...since it is one, but meh.

Anyway sorry for the over inflated size of this message, it's been awhile since I updated and had a lot to get of my mind. I'll be taking today off from writing to recuperate my mental muscles o.o been a loooong two months.
Last edited by bloodywyvern on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scripts in planning- 1

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 3/01/08, 100k mark reached)

#13 Post by DaFool »

I'm confused. What's wrong with Ren'Py's NVL? Is it the rollback (instead of readback) behavior?

You could also meet halfway by declaring two types of narrators -- an NVL one and an ADV one, and alternate between the two whenever you have long descriptive paragraphs versus short snippets of feelings.

Or you can tweak NVL to make a pseudo-NVL screen that only fills up 1/3-1/2 the screen as a compromise from ADV.

Anyway, congratulations on reaching the Commercial Length (tm) category! :lol: I'll be following this progress.

Just some advice... actually the longer the project, the smaller the proportion of graphics that are really needed (especially if a sane workload is wanted). You might also want to consider using filtered photos for Backgrounds (With limited funds, you want to be the Type Moon that made Tsukihime, not the Type Moon that made FSN) As with friends, project partners must be few and reliable instead of many and fickle.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#14 Post by bloodywyvern »

DaFool wrote:I'm confused. What's wrong with Ren'Py's NVL? Is it the rollback (instead of readback) behavior?

You could also meet halfway by declaring two types of narrators -- an NVL one and an ADV one, and alternate between the two whenever you have long descriptive paragraphs versus short snippets of feelings.

Or you can tweak NVL to make a pseudo-NVL screen that only fills up 1/3-1/2 the screen as a compromise from ADV.
Actually it's just that I feel like it's a giant text box, which means the very same feel can be done BETTER with just using a single smaller one on the bottom, but yes if I go down that way I may switch between them when moving from high dialogue to large narration. That's a very useful idea, thank you.

Basically my issue with NVL mode is...look at something like Tsukihime or FSN, the way they present their story full screen has a very close together, non restrictive text box feel. With NVL though, it just appears like it's hindering me to have to learn the ways to manipulate it not to emulate the exact style...but a similar layout. Yes I could take the time to work with the functions and numbers to reduce padding and the like, but I'd rather concentrate on writing.
DaFool wrote:Anyway, congratulations on reaching the Commercial Length (tm) category! :lol: I'll be following this progress.
Thank you very much! I'm proud to reach it, especially with a lot more work to go in terms of completion. Though I'm getting annoyed with all the idea's my mind is coming up to, I'm about ready to add a forth project to the R.E.M series. I'm glad to see more people following, its inspiring, I'll try not to let anyone down.
DaFool wrote:Just some advice... actually the longer the project, the smaller the proportion of graphics that are really needed (especially if a sane workload is wanted). You might also want to consider using filtered photos for Backgrounds (With limited funds, you want to be the Type Moon that made Tsukihime, not the Type Moon that made FSN) As with friends, project partners must be few and reliable instead of many and fickle.
Yes I understand, on one hand the proportion of graphics needed in a smaller game is much higher...but that doesn't mean a longer game doesn't need more, just that the proportions more adequately reflect the workload on each member of the team. In longer sized games each member is giving a more equal effort, while in smaller the artists tend to be doing most of the work. My concern with my current script is I used some backgrounds in terms of story a very limited about of time, which makes it completely illogical to do so. I may look to rewrite them using some of the already used ones depending on time.

I'll consider using those, I hadn't decided between photos and actual drawing...but maybe that would be a better choice, just to go for filtered photos. To really manage to get ones that properly give off the exact or similar feel could be a difficult process though. At least with drawings you aren't restricted to just what's there.

Limited funds? Talk about no funds whats so ever. I'm lucky if I could spear $50 for this game, but if it would help I'd happily give it. I don't even expect any of this to make me any form of money in the end, though it would be great if it did. As for the project members, yes I agree whole heartedly. I've heard stories of people who don't work, disappear, etc. and I hope my judgments of characters aren't off. So far who I have gained have been wonderful, and if anyone else volunteers in the future I'll hope for the same.

On another note: I'm sorry, I basically (actually did) quote your entire post. Why did I bother to break it up? >.> Anyway I don't think many people think I'd make it even this far...I'm relatively new, so I don't have that popularity bringing everyone to check :D I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow (and holy crap I write way too much in these posts).
Scripts in planning- 1

Jake
Support Hero

#15 Post by Jake »

bloodywyvern wrote: Actually it's just that I feel like it's a giant text box
But... it... well, it is just a giant text box. That's all NVL mode is, surely? The only difference I see between this and what I've seen of the Tsukihime-style one really is just down to the UI styles used. :/
bloodywyvern wrote: On another note: I'm sorry, I basically (actually did) quote your entire post. Why did I bother to break it up?
That's hardly something to apologise for! If you're replying to every point in a post then it makes sense to quote it all because it's all relevant, and breaking it up so your replies are next to the specific points they're replying to is just good posting style!
bloodywyvern wrote: I'm relatively new, so I don't have that popularity bringing everyone to check
(And seriously, I wouldn't worry about that, either; this is one of the most accepting and newbie-friendly internet communities I've ever seen. ;-))
Server error: user 'Jake' not found