Questions from a beginner artist

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Questions from a beginner artist

#1 Post by namastaii »

Are there simple ways to create sprites within a photo program that I can do with a mouse, maybe even shapes? so it's easier not to create something awkward or crooked? Any really good tutorials for this sort of thing? I'm really interested to be able to create my own character art. And I'd just like to hear any pointers or even feel free to share your art with me as examples and how you went about it.. Thanks :)

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: Questions from a beginner artist

#2 Post by Laniessa »

Look into vector art - Adobe Illustrator, Clip Studio Paint, Gimp can do so. What it does is create a path and you can adjust it with your mouse. See if you can get a scanner and scan your images like that - it’ll make mouse work that much easier.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

I was practicing with hair the other day using line layers with the curve line tool and pressure tool. That seemed to work pretty cool.
But to create something from scratch feels like it'd take forever. (I know that good things come in time) But I guess I just want a quick way to do things. And I feel like tracing base objects from someone elses art would still be stealing, wouldn't it?

One day, I'll have this down XD

I use Gimp, Photoshop, Paint SAI, and Krita. Love these.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I think art just takes time...that's why people pay artists so much! I mean...it takes less time with practice, quality takes time.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

#5 Post by annpan »

As for a suggestion, I would say Paint Tool Sai since it also offers some shape and lines tools if you updating from Paint or the really old version.
Last edited by annpan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

Until then, I guess I really just need to find a good partner in crime(artist) who will work on this VN with me for free.. Until a full version is released for commercial purposes and I would totally share. But anyone who's real good probably requires a price on the spot.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Questions like this are what we made the "Asset Creation: Art" thread for.

Moved.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#8 Post by Laniessa »

To make you feel better, I consider my drawing rate a decent speed and it would still take me at least 2 hours to sketch and line a sprite, and depending on the colouring style, another 1-2 hours. That’s just a minimum for a basic single pose single expression. Lots of my illustrations take anywhere between 5 to 20 hours, and even more sometimes! And that’s after I practice for all this time.

If you want to draw digitally fast, a tablet is a must. Until then, practice drawing on paper. Your skills traditionally and digitally are directly related.

Edit: Wait. To elaborate, it’ll be much quicker to learn to paint quickly with a tablet than a mouse. I use a mouse for certain aspects of drawing; it is faster in some areas!
Last edited by Laniessa on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

binod_hyolmo
Deviantart: BinodHyolmo

#9 Post by binod_hyolmo »

I think, passion is very important. I use photoshop and with pen tool, I can create shapes and quite fine line art. But, without passion in art, I feel lazy, demotivated and can't be patient for long time. And that's the reason I am here to hunt down precious CC Sprite treasure hidden in lemmasoft palace. :lol:

.usa
Regular
Projects: Forget [not] that flower (hiatus)
Tumblr: bijuudama
Deviantart: meiayasaki

#10 Post by .usa »

Hum... Welp, being blunt, there's no "easy" way of doing that.
However, there are lots of ways for doing it fast and with a mouse. Before I got my tablet, I colored with the mouse (the very first method surely took a lot of time, but oh well, I found better ways later and it looked better too).

So, first things first ~ programs. Until I got my tablet, I did the lines with a program for animation (I was like, 10/12 at most and learned by myself, so that was like ugh). So avoiding those errors, I recommend Paint Tool SAI and it's linework type of layer. If you already have the sketch as your guide, this surely is good and you can adjust the pressure of the lines as well, all with the mouse.

But for that, you need a sketch. So, traditional way time! Just take a paper, draw whatever you want and that's it. Normally, you would scan it and it's ready to use as your sketch. More likely, you don't even need a scanner. When I didn't have one, I just took a photo of the drawing, adjust contrast a little (because of the lighting seeing the actual lines is hard, that's why) and it will be the same as scanning it.

Once you have your lineart done, you should be able to use the selection tool and color everything with the bucket. Ah, but be sure to make it all on different layers... No wait, you don't really need to, but I would say it's better.

When you have your flat colors, make a new layer, use the clip thingy (dunno about the english name) for the flat layer, set it to multiply and color the shades.

You can do all of that with the very same program, Paint Tool SAI.
You'll probably need some help, tutorials or so for learning to do all of that, but you can ask me if you want or look on the net, whatever you want.

Hope this helped ~

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by namastaii »

Yeah, I already have SAI and have traced with linework and pressure etc. But it is a pretty good way to make things look crisp and it's pretty fast, I suppose.