How to make a KN appealing?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

Re: How to make a KN appealing?

#31 Post by KuroOneHalf »

RotGtIE wrote:The benefits of going kinetic are obvious - you don't have to write multiple parallel stories and keep them in continuity with each other, you don't need as many assets as you might in a VN with multiple routes or choices; generally it just comes down to having a lot less in the way of technical work in terms of plot structuring and writing. Naturally, the perspective of the audience is a simple one - if you are only going to be delivering one route or story to them, it had better damn well be a good one. It had better be worth foregoing the granting of any options to the player.
Do you find that you enjoy a kinetic novel the same amount as a branching VN of lesser writing quality? Is the ability to read different versions of the same reality, even though they're more poorly written, enough to make it a more enjoyable experience for you? Shouldn't a branching novel also "damn well be a good one"? Does the branching excuse its quality, or lack thereof?
I would think reading more content of lesser quality writing would tone down the enjoyment, not up.

It's an issue that I honestly don't quite understand. I've always thought kinetic novels should be much more appealing to the general public than they seem to currently be. Maybe it could be explained by the general public having less interest in writing quality than I think, even though this is primarily a writing-focused medium.

ps: Worth noting that I'm not saying branching is bad. It can be used to do some great things. I just don't agree with the idea that a branching story is by nature better or more enjoyable than a linear one.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#32 Post by Anne »

Having branches is not about "reading more content", most people don't play all the routes, (for me) the most important thing about it is the ability to "customize" the story to your liking - an obvious example - if you have 3 guys with different personalities to choose from the chances that you'll like at least one are higher than if you only have one. Actually even the so called trivial choices add to that although they don't affect the story that much. Choices also make you feel more involved in the story.
After all visual novels by nature are more than writing so naturally people who play them want more than the story (otherwise they'd be better off reading a book, at least chances to find a well-written piece are much higher there)
Besides it's not like it's horrible vs brilliant difference level we're talking about.

KuroOneHalf
Regular

#33 Post by KuroOneHalf »

But you already are getting more than the writing. You're getting to visually see the characters, the environments where the characters stand in, hear accompanying background music, sound effects, and so on. Getting "just the story" in a kinetic VN means something hugely different from reading a book.

In the example you provided of being able to branch off into the routes of 3 different guys, what if the guy that you picked because he seemed most interesting ends up being the worst route? The guy turns out to be repulsive, or the writing is just not very good, or any other significant problem. What do you do then? Finish your experience there and write off the novel as not being very good? Forget about that guy, rewind and pick another?

Maybe we just find ourselves in different sides of the fence in this topic. Your statement that "choices also make you feel more involved in the story" doesn't quite resonate with me for example. I read visual novels mainly, for the same reason I consume other storytelling mediums of entertainment, to be told a story/be entertained. When a writer stops telling me his story to ask me what he should do, it sort of comes off as not having confidence in his skill, or what he thinks the best version of his story/vision is.
I have a particularly big gripe with choices that take personality away from the protagonist. There's few things I hate more in a visual novel than being prompted with a choice that the protagonist (the way he was established by the author up to that point) would never do of his own volition. It causes this gash in the fabric of the story that my brain has a hard time getting over.

I realize some of these things I'm saying don't apply to a lot choices in romance games where the point is to get to know these heroes/heroines, and you can't get to intimately know all of them in a single logical timeline. These are more aimed toward the choices that do not play a direct role in timeline-picking.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#34 Post by Anne »

You do agree that art, music etc adds to your enjoyment, right? (otherwise what makes you interested in VNs?) Still, if done poorly they instead detract from it, same goes for choices.
At least with choices you can pick the most logical option / the nicest guy, without you're just stuck with that, how is it better?
By more involved I meant mainly
1. the thrill of exploration (what happens if I do this or that?);
2. feeling the consequences - because it's (might be) your actions that brought the characters to where they are.
it sort of comes off as not having confidence in his skill, or what he thinks the best version of his story/vision is.
Isn't it more like he has more than one story to tell?
Having choices also often makes me feel like there's more to the story than what I've already seen.
And there're also people enjoy a good ending more if they know that there is a bad one as well because it makes them feel they "win".

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#35 Post by trooper6 »

Kuroonehalf wrote: Maybe we just find ourselves in different sides of the fence in this topic. Your statement that "choices also make you feel more involved in the story" doesn't quite resonate with me for example. I read visual novels mainly, for the same reason I consume other storytelling mediums of entertainment, to be told a story/be entertained. When a writer stops telling me his story to ask me what he should do, it sort of comes off as not having confidence in his skill, or what he thinks the best version of his story/vision is.
This really depends on how you envision the role of the VN maker. I don't think of VNs as books with pictures and sound, so I don't think of the maker as a novelist telling her story to the reader. As a maker, I come to this different ways...none of them really as me wanting to tell a story to a passive audience who just wants to be entertained. Sometimes I come to it as an artist wanting to provoke reflection of greater topics on the part of the player based on their relationship to interactivity. I want to challenge and provoke the player. The last thing I want in that situation is a player who just wants to be told a story.

Another way I come to VNs is as a Gamemaster of a table top RPG were the story is collaboratively created. I'm not "telling my story," I'm creating an environment and a context and I want the player to participate in the creation of the experience. This is not because I don't have a vision of "my story"--but because I think of stories in this medium as being interactive and collaborative. The death of the author and all that.

And I think really good interactivity is hard to write. I think it takes more skill, not less, to craft a powerful interactive experience. And I think that video games are still working to get better at that...and we have a ways to go still. Which means working on experimenting with interactivity also has the thrill of discovery/expansion/progression...there are still new ways being created in how to play with interactive storytelling...how cool is that?

In some ways this is the difference between a symphony and a jazz jam session. Some people want to go to the symphony and hear Beethoven's 5th played the same way every single time. Big, powerful, comforting in it repeatability. Also, feeding into the cult of genius and the veneration of "great men" and accomplishments as singular. The jazz jam session? They are improvising off of each other and reacting to the audience. The experience is something that could only happen in that one moment. It is communally created and everyone has a part in the building of it. There may be a band leader (or in a tabletop RPG a Gamemaster) but that person is still responsive to the people around them and the work of art is created together. I am fundamentally more interested in a multidirecitonal relationship between the maker and the player than I am in one where the author tells the reader a story and the reader just listens.

And you know what? It takes a lot of skill to try to approximate that multidirectional relationship in a computer game--which isn't really improvising. For me adding choices is not a sign that the creator lacks confidence in their writing, but that they have confidence in it and that they aren't tied into their ego as cole creator. For me, adding choices doesn't say they don't have confidence in their vision, but that their vision embraces collective creation and interactivity. For me, adding choices doesn't say the author isn't confident in what is the best route, but that (at least how I do it--lots of authors have a True route) they are open to the idea that there isn't just one black and white/best path to walk down. It is a recognition of diversity of experience also being something to emulate.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

KuroOneHalf
Regular

#36 Post by KuroOneHalf »

Anne wrote:You do agree that art, music etc adds to your enjoyment, right? (otherwise what makes you interested in VNs?) Still, if done poorly they instead detract from it, same goes for choices.
Of course, yes. That's what I've been saying all along. And that routing is fine (and necessary do timeline/character routing), but that it becomes an issue when it's done poorly and tones down the overall quality of the work. If you're introducing a new route into the story but you know that it's not up to snuff with the other existing routes, then it's better if you don't include it at all.

A big case of this for me was with Grisaia no Kajitsu. I really liked the common route, Michiru's route, and even with their shortcoming I found that Amane and Sacchi's routes had some cool things about them. And if the game had been just that, it would have been one of my favorites, and I'd be telling everyone to buy the localized version ASAP. But there were 2 other major routes in that game, one of which - Makina's - was especially poor. Playing those routes sunk the experience for me. It left such a sour taste in my mouth that it diminished the enjoyment I had with the other routes.

An example where choices at a more micro level can also impact a work negatively is with Cinders (the character) from Cinders, which I played recently so it's fairly fresh in my mind. There's several instances for example where you're being asked things that you, as a player/reader, don't yet know about. They're things that Cinders would know, because she has the backstory, but that backstory hasn't been relayed to you yet, so you can't know what your stance on those matters is, but you're nonetheless being inquired on them.
That, plus I was constantly getting prompted with choices that made Cinders an increasingly broken character. The Cinders from the timeline I got based on the choices I made was a completely irrational and nonsensical character who behaved like a person with some sort of serious mental disability. She wasn't her own character and she wasn't an avatar of myself. She was just broken, allowed to exist because of the poor use of branching as a plot device.

In the initial post I quoted, where RotGtIE says that if you're going the kinetic route then "it damn well better be good", I felt that there was a strange bias there. A double-standard where the bar for a "good" kinetic novel is higher than the bar for a branching novel. That the level of expectation of quality is higher in one than the other. That's what I don't agree with.
trooper6 wrote:In some ways this is the difference between a symphony and a jazz jam session. Some people want to go to the symphony and hear Beethoven's 5th played the same way every single time. Big, powerful, comforting in it repeatability. Also, feeding into the cult of genius and the veneration of "great men" and accomplishments as singular. The jazz jam session? They are improvising off of each other and reacting to the audience. The experience is something that could only happen in that one moment. It is communally created and everyone has a part in the building of it. There may be a band leader (or in a tabletop RPG a Gamemaster) but that person is still responsive to the people around them and the work of art is created together. I am fundamentally more interested in a multidirecitonal relationship between the maker and the player than I am in one where the author tells the reader a story and the reader just listens.
I think that music analogy doesn't work too well here. For one, you're putting a big emphasis on the symphony playing non-original or repeat material/ material you've seen before. In a kinetic novel you're not reading the same thing you've read before. Unless you're reading it for the second time, but a linear work presupposes that the entirety of the experience is to be felt in a single playthrough.
A more accurate version of this analogy would be to be listening to a concert from a band you've never heard before. They're going to be playing the same songs in every show of that tour, carefully crafted and rehearsed to bring you the best listening experience they feel they're capable of giving you of their music, and you're supposed to only go to one of those concerts.

I hope this made my standpoint on the subject clearer. Though even this analogy isn't that great, because usually the people who go to concerts are folks who already know the bands and the songs they'll be playing.

Though reading your paragraph about D&D, it seems that we just fundamentally have two different outlooks on the medium, where you seem to place most value on the agency of a player being able to express himself within this universe and stretching its possibilities, and I place more value in learning about characters and their predicaments and seeing their carefully crafted stories unfold and take me through a roller coaster of tightly planned emotions.

Lastly, all of my favorite visual novels are branching, so I have absolutely no agenda against the concept. But in all of them every character is their own self, and in all of the timelines that the authors have allowed me to experience the universe and its characters are cohesive. I feel like I'm looking at a great painting from different angles, instead of painting on top of it. That's the sort of visual novel experience I enjoy the most through the use of choice.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#37 Post by trooper6 »

Kuroonehalf wrote: An example where choices at a more micro level can also impact a work negatively is with Cinders (the character) from Cinders, which I played recently so it's fairly fresh in my mind. There's several instances for example where you're being asked things that you, as a player/reader, don't yet know about. They're things that Cinders would know, because she has the backstory, but that backstory hasn't been relayed to you yet, so you can't know what your stance on those matters is, but you're nonetheless being inquired on them.
That, plus I was constantly getting prompted with choices that made Cinders an increasingly broken character. The Cinders from the timeline I got based on the choices I made was a completely irrational and nonsensical character who behaved like a person with some sort of serious mental disability. She wasn't her own character and she wasn't an avatar of myself. She was just broken, allowed to exist because of the poor use of branching as a plot device.
I loved Cinders and thought it was very well done, so I think this must really be a matter of personal preferences. I loved the way moacube played with the relationship between what she knew and what I knew. I also loved how who she was shifted based on my choices. I never ended up with a Cinders I felt was implausible, so I don't know how we approached the game differently.
Kuroonehalf wrote:In the initial post I quoted, where RotGtIE says that if you're going the kinetic route then "it damn well better be good", I felt that there was a strange bias there. A double-standard where the bar for a "good" kinetic novel is higher than the bar for a branching novel. That the level of expectation of quality is higher in one than the other. That's what I don't agree with.
I have a higher expectation for things that have one element than I do for things that have multiple elements. I don't think that is unfair.

Let's make a scale: Bad, Average, Good, Great, Amazing.

Going back to music. If all you do sing. You don't write your own music, you don't play an instrument, you don't dance, you just do the one thing, singing, you spend all of your time on that, I'm going to expect you to be Great at singing. If you are just good? That isn't enough...what are you spending your time doing? You aren't bringing anything else to the table, so I expect more than good. If you sing, and write your music and also dance? You are doing 3 things! So it is okay in my mind if those three things are all Good. Doing more than one thing Good, is a higher difficulty level and ups the overall level from Good to Great for me.

Similarly, lots of people love singer-songwriters whose singing is average, but whose songwriting is amazing. Having two elements ups the quality to above good.

I don't think anyone here has said that branching means you can get away with Bad quality. Bad branching and Bad writing...that's bad...and I'm not going to play it. But more elements means more leeway.

To put it another way. If all you got is vanilla ice cream, it had better be Great vanilla ice cream. If you are giving me vanilla ice cream on pie with whip cream...then the ice cream and pie and whip cream can get away with all being good, rather than Amazing.
Kuroonehalf wrote: Though reading your paragraph about D&D, it seems that we just fundamentally have two different outlooks on the medium, where you seem to place most value on the agency of a player being able to express himself within this universe and stretching its possibilities, and I place more value in learning about characters and their predicaments and seeing their carefully crafted stories unfold and take me through a roller coaster of tightly planned emotions.
Yep, just different matters of taste. I love the emotions I get when the outcomes are my own fault. The agonizing I feel when I have to choose between helping this person or that person, but I can't do both. The emotional investment I have when I know the game and I are in it together rather I'm just sitting there passive with the author just telling me things.

But again, I think this comes down to, do you see this medium more as a book? A game? As static art? As interactive art?

I see VNs more as a game. More as interactive art. So yeah...something static, missing an element that
I find central to my enjoyment of the medium, is going to have to be really excellent for me to enjoy it. This has happened...but it is rare. Donmai 's The One in Love is an example. The art and writing were Anazing, and it was also short and sweet. But, I've run into few KNs of a level of quality that would overcome my preference for interactivity.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

godman85
Regular
Organization: Black Sands Entertainment

#38 Post by godman85 »

Make a KN like game of thrones of heroes where there are multiple main characters and timelines continue all at the same time causing confusion and mystery as to what exactly will happen next.

Atleast that is what my KN is doing.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/black-sands-origins