Commission review system?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Commission review system?

#46 Post by PyTom »

Generally, trying to create a subforum to promote a type of discussion doesn't work. (See the walkthroughs section.) So it's best to just start having conversations on CC, and when there's enough to matter, we can split them out into a new forum.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

RotGtIE
Veteran

#47 Post by RotGtIE »

Even informal reviews don't quite work here, and the reason is not because there is not an official or supported method for doing so, but rather due to human incentives. All problems are people problems, and this problem is most especially involved with people. This place is far from anonymous, and every post has the potential to send egos drastically in one direction or the other. Negative reviews, understandably, will be greatly objected to by the targeted individual, almost assuredly sparking a whirlwind of drama among the community. This puts the reviewer at risk for looking like they are engaging in libel. Everyone comes out with mud on their faces, whether real or perceived.

So what's the solution? Well, there isn't one. At least, not an authority-based one. The solution is something that you already see present on the recruitment boards - pricing. The only real way to know for sure whether someone is capable of working on a project that will get finished is for them to have projects listed as "completed" under their name. It provides tangible, undeniable evidence that the person is at least capable of contributing enough to a project to see it completed. Not having anything finished leaves that question up in the air, which always casts an unavoidable doubt on that person, even if they can offset that source of doubt through other means. The effect of this is obvious - people with evidence of experience and a solid positive reputation are more valuable than people without any, and that is reflected monetarily. Reputation is a commodity, and having it means that you can ask a higher price for your work, since you can offer a much more plausible guarantee that you will contribute what a project needs to get finished. Not having it means you can't offer that peace of mind to a potential collaborator, and since peace of mind has value, not being able to provide it makes you less valuable.

But that's a simple fix - those without an established positive reputation should charge less than those with an established reputation, to offset the difference in value that they provide to their collaborators. Now that may not be fun to hear, but it reflects the reality of the market. The quality of the assets you produce is not the only thing of value which you are providing to someone when they are looking for someone to work with. For a commissioner in this situation, they will then have a decision to make between someone with a stronger reputation but a higher asking price, and someone without a strong reputation but with a low enough asking price to be worth risking the investment on.

For the commissioner, then, it's a simple matter of "buyer beware." Just don't invest more into someone than what you are willing to part with until they gain your trust. Losing part of your budget on someone who bails on you should either be a part of your asset planning or a part of your budget itself, if not both.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#48 Post by Deji »

So we all agree we should encourage people to leave reviews or little notes of recommendation (positive or otherwise, but civil!) on artists they commission on the Recruitment boards :)

For the time being, I modified the badge I did earlier (sorry, I love badges xD ) in case anybody wants to use it on their "hire me" thread (not for use on a signature!) to encourage their commissioners to leave reviews on their thread :D

Code: Select all

[img]http://mbeatrizgarcia.com/lsfreview.png[/img]
Happy reviewing! <3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#49 Post by noeinan »

Thanks, Deji, that looks awesome!

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#50 Post by truefaiterman »

I like the badge! I'd say to make it a little smaller, though.

If the general consensus is to get a badge, and just encourage people to review your work, I'm in! (I still like the idea of a more organised review system, with the points I mentioned in my other post, but hey, we're all working on this)
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#51 Post by trooper6 »

The badge is cute! I like it!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

mobychan
Veteran
Projects: The Chosen - Sakura Pink & Gentian Blue
Organization: Foresoft

#52 Post by mobychan »

I think for a start a button might not be bad, when a standard has been formed it might be easier to introduce a "bigger" review system with points or something^^