Digital Rights Management

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
boshibaro

Digital Rights Management

#1 Post by boshibaro »

I'm doing commercial games on Lulu (it doesn't do DRM). I could use DLSite, but the costumer range is "Family" and the General Audience version of DL site is still not up. Does anyone know a method or software that can protect my .exe files from piracy, like right-click copying or Rapidsharing?

Thanks in advance,
boshibaro

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Digital Rights Management

#2 Post by PyTom »

Unless there's some way to supply information on a per-user basis, there isn't really a good way to do DRM. (Some would argue that even if this is the case, DRM is basically just an arms race.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#3 Post by bloodywyvern »

I believe some people manage to have web space force a user to make a payment with paypal, and then the user is allowed to download the said .exe file. I don't know any actual websites that allow for you to do it like that, and anyone with web space willing to put it up for you would probably require a percentage of your sales. The worst part is the fact you have to do your own advertising :/
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Also, this doesn't actually solve the problem. Once a user downloads the distribution, he can just upload it to rapidshare.

One idea I had a while back was a system that issues a key when the user pays for the game. The user would have to give these to the game, and it would then check them against the server when the game starts. If the same key is used by too many users, the server could revoke it.

The downside is the user would have to be online to play the game. (This is similar to the new Virtual-Mate system used by the Paine zaibatsu.)

Also, this won't stop the very casual pirate (since it's hard to tell a guy installing a program on his laptop from a guy installing the program on his friend's laptop), or the very dedicated one (who could just bypass the protection entirely).
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#5 Post by Enerccio »

also it wont stop cracks
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#6 Post by bloodywyvern »

Well professionals themselves have yet to figure out a way to stop cracks and dedicated pirates, you can't really do too much about it and there's not too much in terms of strong software. It depends on how far your willing to go in order to prevent it. Not too many people have the means of doing it first time out :/
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

boshibaro

#7 Post by boshibaro »

How about I try Virtual Vault(http://www.cbprotect.com) . Just in case if it surfaces on a Rapidshare, I will make the following statement:

"If I see my file on Rapidshare or any other file sharing site, I will contact its owner to delete
it."

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

Don't bother contacting the owner, contact Rapidshare. They will take files down if you ask them.

There are various sorts of registration programs out there, most of them designed around the 'unlockable trial' model, but simply having your paid version be different from your trial version is in itself an anti-piracy measure. someone has to actually buy it before they can share it (and MOST people won't pay money for something and then give it away. some. not most) and it's more difficult to trade a full download than to trade an activation code.

Also, remember that any sort of protection system will have its own cost not only in terms of the cost of the program but also in terms of tech support. Keep it simple, so you don't drive off your customers as well as the pirates.

#9 Post by Guest »

Well then, does anyone know any software that make trial version. I will make the trial period around 20-30 minutes.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#10 Post by rioka »

I've been rolling this thought in my head for awhile. You can't do it with lulu but you can with Paypal. Basically: just customize each game sold by putting the name of the purchaser in the title page of the game. If the person puts it in on rapidshare or whatever, they'll have to deal with the thought that their name will be sent to anyone and everyone who gets a hold of the game plus it'll help you out as it'll tip you off who gave the game away.

Trails - there's probably wrappers out there that automatically set a time limit but I think you're better off just cutting off the trial yourself at a certain point in the game (and not releasing the full game).

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#11 Post by Enerccio »

eclipse wrote:I've been rolling this thought in my head for awhile. You can't do it with lulu but you can with Paypal. Basically: just customize each game sold by putting the name of the purchaser in the title page of the game. If the person puts it in on rapidshare or whatever, they'll have to deal with the thought that their name will be sent to anyone and everyone who gets a hold of the game plus it'll help you out as it'll tip you off who gave the game away.
that can be hacked easy
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#12 Post by rioka »

Enerccio wrote:that can be hacked easy
Hmm... you're right. I forgot compiled and obfuscated files can be reversed. So much for that idea. :\

Then again, how much trouble would a person go to just to release a pirated game to the public? Especially if you put some naming measure littered throughout the game via images, in-line comments and maybe even in the game story itself? From what I understand, most pirated casual games have these DRM's which can be easily overrided with some software or other and only requires a click of the button. Going through the code and images itself will be too time consuming and a hassle... at least imo. Yarg, maybe I'm over-thinking this. <_<

ficedula
Regular

#13 Post by ficedula »

To be honest, if you did want to apply DRM to your game, the things to bear in mind are:

-The more elaborate you make your protection, the more of a challenge somebody wanting to break it may take that as
-The more expensive your game, the more likely somebody will *want* to pirate it
-Once it's broken once and on a P2P network, anybody can download it

Inserting a unique identifier into each copy of the game you distribute is really watermarking, not DRM (you could do both, of course), but it's also not necessarily foolproof or uncrackable.

I'd suggest that if you don't want your game to be copied, then make the DRM/watermarking/whatever non-intrusive, and keep your prices reasonable. Or don't bother with DRM at all. The worst possible thing you can do is make the DRM a pain to a legitimate user (even by accident), because then you're (unintentionally) encouraging even honest people to pirate it...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#14 Post by rioka »

ficedula wrote:keep your prices reasonable.
A "reasonable" price to a pirate is free. Games selling for the budget price of $20 is still being pirated. :\

@ boshibaro>> Don't mind my rambling. Ficedula's advice is very good and is what I've found to be said again and again when this topic comes up regarding DRM's. n_n

Sin
Veteran

#15 Post by Sin »

I checked out VirtuaVault. Seemed good but a bit pricy ($30/month) for someone who isn't expected to sell a lot. I'd rather see a fixed rate of like ~$0.5 per key instead of $1 per day.

I'm not sure whether I should be concerned about piracy or not. On one hand it will just be this stupid game I made. On the other hand it will have titties in it and people will do just about anything to look at titties (for free). >_>

Update: I checked out DLSite too and it seems CuriousFactory.com is their english/american agent. You can publish with them, the product appears on DLSite.com and you can get copy protection for free (although they obviously charge a fee for every purchase). I like it because it's being handled entirely by DLSite and in case of problems I can point to their support service.