moving text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
brigid

moving text?

#1 Post by brigid »

I'm sorry. I'm completely lost. I've tried reading some of the source code in games but I'm still lost.

I was wondering if it's possible for the text to be somewhere other than the bottom. And how do you make the menu items not be buttons?

I tried looking it up in the manual, but I can't find it. It could be there but I don't recognize it.

I feel so dumb. :oops:

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: moving text?

#2 Post by akemicchi »

Text at the bottom? Do you mean the window where all the dialogue appears? If it's that, you can change it's position on the y-axis with style.window.yalign = 0.5, with 0 being the top, 0.5 being the middle, and 1 being the bottom. Although, you can't use 1 for that since it's already defaulted to be at the bottom. xD You can look more into styles and properties here. You should put that in the options.rpy.

Or~ if you're talking about ui.text or something, you can use ui.at to position a ui.function, or do it a roundabout way by putting it into ui.window.

For the menu items not being buttons... ^^; Well, they have to be buttons to work... What exactly did you have in mind? Did you want them to be images (ui.imagebutton) or something?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Generally, in Ren'Py, floating point numbers are interpreted as fractions of the screen. So 1.0 will work even when 1 will not.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

brigid

#4 Post by brigid »

akemicchi wrote:Text at the bottom? Do you mean the window where all the dialogue appears? If it's that, you can change it's position on the y-axis with style.window.yalign = 0.5, with 0 being the top, 0.5 being the middle, and 1 being the bottom. Although, you can't use 1 for that since it's already defaulted to be at the bottom. xD You can look more into styles and properties here. You should put that in the options.rpy.
Yeah. That's what I mean. Thanks. ^_^
akemicchi wrote:Or~ if you're talking about ui.text or something, you can use ui.at to position a ui.function, or do it a roundabout way by putting it into ui.window.
ui.text? No idea what that is. @.@
akemicchi wrote:For the menu items not being buttons... ^^; Well, they have to be buttons to work... What exactly did you have in mind? Did you want them to be images (ui.imagebutton) or something?
Um, well I'd seen in some games that the menu items are in the same space as the dialog and look like normal text. I guess they're still buttons in a way...
PyTom wrote:Generally, in Ren'Py, floating point numbers are interpreted as fractions of the screen. So 1.0 will work even when 1 will not.
Thanks for the clarification there. ^_^

Now, to figure out where in the options file to put this and to work out the second question. (And make sense of the rest of the language. :shock: )

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#5 Post by JQuartz »

It appears to me that you what you want is NVL mode.
If you have the demo (the one with Eileen), it in Advanced Feature. NVL Mode.
Here's a snap shot of what NVL looks like in case you don't have the demo.
New Bitmap Image.JPG
You can get the reference here:http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/NVL_Mode
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

brigid

#6 Post by brigid »

Wai! Thank you!

Now to decipher what it means. @.@ (And figure out how to change the text color of the menu items...)