Steam DRM [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

Steam DRM [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Mole-chan »

Hopefully this isn't something too terribly stupid to ask, or hasn't been covered.
I think I searched pretty thoroughly beforehand.
I also apologize if there would be a better forum fit.

My question is simple, how would it be best to apply Steam's DRM to a Ren'Py game? I have already wrapped the Windows executable, but the Mac and Linux versions are my main concern. Would it even be necessary? I'll admit I couldn't figure out how those files run, even on opening them.

Thanks
Last edited by Mole-chan on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Steam DRM

#2 Post by PyTom »

We don't support DRM.

Even if you wrap the windows exe, the data files are left unencrypted, so anyone with a copy of the appropriate version of Ren'Py can run them. You'd basically have to codesign python to make this work - and that's a hard problem for a language so dynamic.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mole-chan
Veteran

#3 Post by Mole-chan »

PyTom wrote:We don't support DRM.

Even if you wrap the windows exe, the data files are left unencrypted, so anyone with a copy of the appropriate version of Ren'Py can run them. You'd basically have to codesign python to make this work - and that's a hard problem for a language so dynamic.
Ah, understood.
I gathered this forum, in general, leaned against DRM, but I figured that was more of an idealogical thing. I didn't realize it was also because it would be difficult to implement, at best. I should have, I suppose.

Well, thank you for shooting that down quickly at least. Thanks for the explanation!
Last edited by Mole-chan on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

DRM is actually impossible to implement in a real sense. If the computer can run a program, all the information is present on that computer to allow the program to be run. If all the information is present to allow the program to run, the DRM can be cracked. So DRM is ofuscation, at best - and it's the sort of cat and mouse game that I don't really want to get into.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mole-chan
Veteran

#5 Post by Mole-chan »

PyTom wrote:DRM is actually impossible to implement in a real sense. If the computer can run a program, all the information is present on that computer to allow the program to be run. If all the information is present to allow the program to run, the DRM can be cracked. So DRM is ofuscation, at best - and it's the sort of cat and mouse game that I don't really want to get into.
Also definitely understood. I definitely approached this still knowing a determined pirate would get at it no matter what I did. I just felt more comfortable having even a little bit of obfuscation, than nothing at all.

But apparently even that wouldn't do much good, given how Ren'py games are built, so I'll just have to hope people won't bother to pirate a 2 dollar game.

E-l337
Regular

#6 Post by E-l337 »

Mole-chan wrote: But apparently even that wouldn't do much good, given how Ren'py games are built, so I'll just have to hope people won't bother to pirate a 2 dollar game.
I realize that what I am about to say may not further this discussion, given the topic is solved, but I feel this should be mentioned: It doesn't matter if your game costs a dollar or ten dollars. People will pirate it regardless.

What you should be hoping for, as a developer, isn't that people don't pirate your game, but rather that the people who do come back and actually pay the two dollars you're asking for.

I know people who pirate Android games all the time, but they wind up supporting the ones they actually enjoy, while throwing away the ones they hate. It's kind of a weird behavior to notice, and I certainly don't condone it, but as a designer and a developer it's important to take note of these practices, and to consider them as you get closer to release.

Mole-chan
Veteran

#7 Post by Mole-chan »

E-l337 wrote:
Mole-chan wrote: But apparently even that wouldn't do much good, given how Ren'py games are built, so I'll just have to hope people won't bother to pirate a 2 dollar game.
I realize that what I am about to say may not further this discussion, given the topic is solved, but I feel this should be mentioned: It doesn't matter if your game costs a dollar or ten dollars. People will pirate it regardless.

What you should be hoping for, as a developer, isn't that people don't pirate your game, but rather that the people who do come back and actually pay the two dollars you're asking for.

I know people who pirate Android games all the time, but they wind up supporting the ones they actually enjoy, while throwing away the ones they hate. It's kind of a weird behavior to notice, and I certainly don't condone it, but as a designer and a developer it's important to take note of these practices, and to consider them as you get closer to release.
Haha, I suppose I should have worded it like that to begin with, because yes. I agree. See above that I took a pretty fatalistic view, but at least wanted to try and protect myself. Because definitely, it's inevitable no matter what you do. Any amount of obfuscation (not that I would have employed much even if it worked. I know disruptive systems will create resentment) is just a mild deterrent. But it felt safer.

And yes, hopefully it does prove to be good enough of a little game that there will be enough support to compensate for the inevitable. I definitely know the 'if I like it I'll buy it' mentality all too well, too.