Boy/Girl menu as yes/ no?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ChillTaco
Regular

Boy/Girl menu as yes/ no?

#1 Post by ChillTaco »

Anyway, I want to make a boy girl option thing. I know what your saying, just use the normal choice menu thingy. BUT I DON WANA, cause i cant seem to get the other choices to have there own img's. You see, im a goober kay?

I want the boy/girl choice menu to have different select pngs from the rest of the choices. And each choice has its own picture, like you know.... one choice has a boy, one has a girl.

Now ima sound like a tard here but, can it be like a yes/no action after you press Start Game? Im thinking it has to be its own menu. Can the renpy have two separate scripts? And ahh the yes/no action would open a different one?

I really have no idea what Im doing.

Goobs can stare off into the English and see nothing but a blank page. I dont know anything about anything.
Last edited by ChillTaco on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

Lovebird

Re: Chilltaco's dumb questions

#2 Post by Lovebird »

Hi,
This may be what you're looking for ChillTaco
Adding sound effects to the main menu buttons:

To add sound effects that play when you click on in-game buttons, find the following code in “options.rpy”:

# style.button.activate_sound = "click.wav"
# style.imagemap.activate_sound = "click.wav"
Just like with the main menu music, all you have to do here is change the file name, copy/paste the sound effect file into the game folder, and remove the pound sign before the code. These sound effects apply to all the buttons in the game - including the ones on the main menu, in-game options, etc.
I got that from here -> http://fuckyeahrenpy.tumblr.com/post/87 ... -main-menu
Idk about the rest of your questions n.n"

ChillTaco
Regular

Re: Chilltaco's dumb questions "CLICK HOVER"

#3 Post by ChillTaco »

Yep new question.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

Re: Boy/Girl menu as yes/ no?

#4 Post by Kate »

Alright, let me help you. I made a learning game where the player could select "I'm a boy" or "I'm a girl" and hear either a boy or girl voice, which ever one they choose.

Here's my declared images, for reference:

Code: Select all

image gconfused = "Gconfused1a.png"
image bconfused = "Bconfused1a.png"
Start with a menu. "Select boy or girl" and have the appropriate buttons.

label genderchoice:
"Are you a girl or boy?"
menu:
    "Girl":
        $playersprite = "girl"
    "Boy":
        $playersprite = "boy"

If you know about flags and variables, the above should be easy for you.

I'm not sure if you need different scripts for dialogue specific to gender-available romance or different scenarios based on gender? Otherwise, it's very easy to keep it to one script by doing the following to use the correct sprite:

Here's how I had it show the appropriate sprites, if you want the dialogue to be the same with certain characters (

if playersprite == "girl":
    show gconfused
if playersprite == "boy":
    show bconfused
(gconfused and bconfused were sprites with those expressions, declared with shortcuts above in the code.)

Same thing with any audio, if you have voices:

if playersprite == "girl":
    play sound "Anna_8.ogg"
if playersprite == "boy":
    play sound "Colin_7.ogg"
(my actors happened to be two kids, I labeled using their names.)

Does this clear things up for you?
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

ChillTaco
Regular

Re: Boy/Girl menu as yes/ no?

#5 Post by ChillTaco »

Thankyou kate! You are perfectly awesome! I can finally end my mental issues with renpy today!