Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.
Sapphire Dragon
Regular

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#16 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

I tend to disagree about reading reviews these days. A lot of games I like get low fives or so and some games I couldnt care less with can get 9 or more.

Not to mention they are quite clearly biassed half the time. I just judge things from seeing the gameplay.

I like the sonic and the secret rings game, that was fun so not all sonic games are bad, though I dont like shadow, sonic heroes or the new 360/ps3 one. But even at that theres been more good ones than bad ones.
Last edited by Sapphire Dragon on Wed May 14, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Cybeat »

@Sin: Yep. I saw some screenshots of the game. It looks like another "Sonic and The Secret Rings." If this game is bad, his gaming days are over. Sonic hides this by joining Smash Bros.

@Sapphire Dragon: I half agree with you. Some of the games I played are better than the rating they received. Example, Virtua Quest (rating 5), Gotcha Force (rating 6, I think) and Final Fight: Street Wise (rating 3). I played them, and they were actually fun!
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

Sin wrote:lol yeah. Nowadays it's like a tradition for the enthusiasts to get excited over the news of a new Sonic game, hoping that it will be better than the last one, but then universally get disappointed when they actually get to play it.

People are already doing it with Sonic Unleashed. It's the same old "This time will be different" and "Finally! back to form" but all I saw in that trailer they released was Sonic running and jumping. Whoopdee-f**ing-doo! xD

It's still the same developer that made all the other shitty games so I don't get why people are getting so excited.
Yeah, the best Sonic until now still the classics ones (Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles). But lots of people still buy newer Sonic games in burst anyway simply because they are fans (like me ^_^).

But then they are displeased because the games disappointing them, don't get better than the last time, etc.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Cybeat »

Don't forget Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Those were also great games. So is Phantasy Star Online, which was made by sonic team.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

LVUER
King of Lolies

#20 Post by LVUER »

Sapphire Dragon wrote:I tend to disagree about reading reviews these days. A lot of games I like get low fives or so and some games I couldnt care less with can get 9 or more.

Not to mention they are quite clearly biassed half the time. I just judge things from seeing the gameplay.

I like the sonic and the secret rings game, that was fun so not all sonic games are bad, though I dont like shadow, sonic heroes or the new 360/ps3 one. But even at that theres been more good ones than bad ones.
They are professional reviewers so they live from reviewing and I can see that professional reviews aren't as much biased as unprofessional ones, and much easier and enjoyable to read.

But of course we shouldn't forget that they are normal human being that have personal preferences, mood, faults, etc.

Usually I use reviews only as a reference. The rest, I look by myself. Most of the time, they indeed match. Like a high score games could range from great, good, to so-so games while low one range from good, bad, to trash.

Professional reviewers won't lie (too much) because they have reputations (and jobs) to keep. So I think we could at least read their reviews.
Last edited by LVUER on Thu May 15, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#21 Post by Blue Lemma »

Quest 64, this isn't even a close call :evil:
The lack of story and fun left a sad empty feeling in my heart... but mostly my wallet ($59.99 for the game + $19.99 for a battery pack! And this was back in middle/high school!)
I don't think I've bought a THQ game since.

As for reviews, I like to read several different ones. Gamefaqs reviews are good because you can get a whole lot of perspectives. I've found my experience matches the average experience of the players who review there. I also listen to friends who have similar tastes :D
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

eezergoode
Regular

#22 Post by eezergoode »

Most disappointing - Rainbow Six: Lockdown. Pure crap, nothing like any of the other Rainbow Six games, other than shooting a gun.

The game that I am happiest I ever bought was Starcraft... even though I kinda suck at it against human players, I STILL play this almost 10 years later....

Quite a few games have let me down over the years, but none so much as Lockdown did. I figured it would be a good game based on previous R6 releases... fooled me.
Eezergoode - AKA Rabid Penguin
Team Lead

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius
Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#23 Post by azureXtwilight »

Maybe Innocent Life, a Futuristic Harvest Moon, we're not free, we can't get a lover, and the graphic leveled down from a wonderful life.

Suikoden tactics, it's the worst of all suikoden games.

Usually, I end up liking the games I bought but not those two.

renkenjutsu
Regular

#24 Post by renkenjutsu »

I was a sucker and actually bought Transformers the Movie game. Ugh.
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hehe, like usual.

MOVIE GAMES SUCKZ!!!!!

Jake
Support Hero

#26 Post by Jake »

azureXtwilight wrote: MOVIE GAMES SUCKZ!!!!!
As it goes, I'd consider Westwood's Blade Runner to be one of the best videogames I've played, in some ways. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by monele »

But it came out way after the movie was released, right? And hey, there has to be exceptions to the rules ;) (also I agree, incredible game that hasn't aged much)

Jake
Support Hero

#28 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:But it came out way after the movie was released, right? And hey, there has to be exceptions to the rules ;)
Yeah, it wasn't a cheap cash-in tie-in. But that's really the point - it's not making a game of a movie which is bad; it's making a game quickly and carelessly which is bad. It just happens that a lot of publishers quickly and carelessly make games to cash in on interest in movies.

I seem to recall hearing that the Chronicles of Riddick game was pretty good, too, and that came out a lot closer to the movie's release - although I never tried that one myself.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by musical74 »

It has been my experience that, by in large, *movie games" really stink. Yes, there are expections, but....when a movie is still out in theatres and they are ALREADY making a game for it, pretty much my view on these is PASS...because the developers are hoping people will buy the game simply because it's a current movie. Whether the movie is a total FLOP or not doesn't seem to enter their minds....and I'm sure everyone here can think of a movie game that fits the category of *movie flopped*.

Another game I didn;t care for was Orge Tactics...the battle system is a poor imitation of Final Fantasy Tactics and your basis of *Chatotic* or "Lawful" is *If you agree with a leader's totally ruthless and in-it-for-me plan, you are lawful because you are following lawful authority <even if he is plotting something that is NOT lawful at all> if you disagree with this guy, you are *Chaotic* because you went against the legal leader, even if he is being a jerk and is doing something totally wrong*. Now, the version I'm referring to is the PS 1 vewrsion....other versions may have done it a heck of a lot better than this one did!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#30 Post by LVUER »

musical74 wrote:Another game I didn;t care for was Orge Tactics...the battle system is a poor imitation of Final Fantasy Tactics and your basis of *Chatotic* or "Lawful" is *If you agree with a leader's totally ruthless and in-it-for-me plan, you are lawful because you are following lawful authority <even if he is plotting something that is NOT lawful at all> if you disagree with this guy, you are *Chaotic* because you went against the legal leader, even if he is being a jerk and is doing something totally wrong*. Now, the version I'm referring to is the PS 1 version....other versions may have done it a heck of a lot better than this one did!
Uhh... The PS1 version is a remake from SNES version, right? And the staff from the original Tactics Ogre was recruited by Square and they made FF Tactics, so no wonder they look alike. So we could say that FF Tactics is an imitation of Tactics Ogre.

BTW, there is another (original) Tactics Ogre in GBA which is titled TO: Knight of Lodis.