need some pointer for drawing kawaii (-:

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

need some pointer for drawing kawaii (-:

#1 Post by Der Tor »

A friend of mine (she is 14) drew that... her english isn't good, so i better ask in her place.

I am considering her as the artist for the comic strip i came up with... but i think she still needs some pointers (especially the eyes). But i don't know no nothin... so, could you guys give some pointers?

Here is her whole Photo-Bucket thingy:

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z301/LoveNami/

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

Re: need some pointer for drawing kawaii (-:

#2 Post by yummy »

Defining a "kawaii" style is rather difficult.

It depends on what you want to highlight: you can stress on the character expression by insisting on the pose the character strikes for example.
In my opinion, drawing kawaii is nowadays highly linked with the "moe" style (moe is a branching from kawaii I think).

A moe character would be someone with a special type of eye and rather round traits, they don't need to be compact, but like Samu-kun feels the same way for Tsukasa, they would make you want to glomp them ASAP.

I'd suggest your friend studied the different eyes she could draw: tsundere type, yasashii (gentle) type, boy/girl type... The list goes on.

I'd suggest your friend also tried to study the character poses. She could watch the opening of the XBox game Idol master, the anime lucky star, sky girls, bamboo blade, nanatsuiro drops, the manga from Koge dombo (pitaten, digi charat)... Well, there are lots of reference sources.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

A moe character would be someone with a special type of eye and rather round traits, they don't need to be compact, but like Samu-kun feels the same way for Tsukasa, they would make you want to glomp them ASAP.
XD

Well, what I generally noticed is that the more circular you make a character's face, the cuter they look. Try to flatten their chins a bit more so that they're less angular at the bottom. Also, make sure their hair floats above their head a little more. (Points to Tsukasa at the left, who's face is entirely circular instead of being oval shaped) But definately, the eyes are the most important. Make sure you stare at alot of references because there are countless different styles of eyes. I also think the character should be flatter, but this might just be me talking here... ^_^;

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Cybeat »

To make really cute, moe styled characters, I think you should remove some facial detail, like that line under her lip. Also, the eyes are a bit too big, and needs the white spot in her eye (cornea).

Kawaii comes mostly from the character's face. Like what yummy said, your friend should study some of the different eyes. Have her do what I do, which is going to photobucket to study many of the anime characters you see there. Let me show you an example (I think it's a good moe example).
Attachments
Tea-Girl.png
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Mikan
Veteran

#5 Post by Mikan »

no fuck that lol
Last edited by Mikan on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#6 Post by Der Tor »

Thanks... i translated all you said for her...

this is her second version... she will now do a 3. and ultimate version (-:

Mikan
Veteran

#7 Post by Mikan »

sfdghj
Last edited by Mikan on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#8 Post by Samu-kun »

Oh why is Tsukasa disco dancing in the reference picture? Hahaha. XD

Mmm... Also, I think the nose should be a bit smaller and that everything below the dress needs to be redone. The perspective seems to be off down there.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hmm... I don't usually do this but... not really Kawai but will concentrate on technique and pointers...

I will assume the following...
You don't have a lightbox
You don't own a cintiq or any tablet
Basic understanding of drawing concepts
You have Photoshop installed
Things you need before we start...
Red Pencil
Blue Pencil
...and a nice pose to work on

I'm going to use your character for this... hope you don't mind...

Step 1:
Using the Red Pencil, you draw him/her... naked (this is important... very VERY important... more on that later)

Step 2:
Using the Blue Pencil, draw the clothes, hair... everything else...
Notice the way the clothes follow the curves of the body?... this is the reason you must first draw naked... so you could visualize depth... think in 3D... and naked.

Step 3:
Corrections and Lineart... nah you know this one already...
Then after you scanned your work... using photoshop, you eliminate red and blue using channels...

Step 4:
You noticed that the face on the previous image looked somehow odd (specifically the chin area)... using Photoshop... we correct it...

Hope this helps... :)

"POOF" (Dissapears)

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#10 Post by AngelicCarrot »

As a moe anime girl artist myself, I know alot of stuff that make them look really cute ^^

Like mentioned before, less facial detail, shorter and rounder faces/eyes make them look much, much cuter.

She has the cute clothes down, and the hair is okay too, but yes, less detail in certain areas is better.

Such as Inku-chan from Moetan. ^^ Not drawing her nose makes her face look softer and brings more attention to her eyes, blushing cheeks and cute mouth :3 And using soft pastel colors also makes the character much softer. (Myuki and Tsukasa also have these soft colors, making them alot cuter.)

Trying soft, detailed shading helps too. Not too much detail in the eyes, just make them big and cute (unless they're crazy or cat-like or something, like when Rena from Higurashi goes crazy lol xD)

So, pretty much: SOFT, the LEAST detail you can put into the face the better (but don't leave out pink cheeks!! They're key!) and more detail on clothes and pastel colors :D

Hope that helped ^^
Life, Liberty and RAINBOWS OF HAPPINESS

http://angelicalchemey.deviantart.com/

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Everyone has been giving some really useful advice so far. Proper proportions, facial features that have been proven to work.

Now... for a shortcut method. 8) :P :twisted: :twisted:

1. Watch this
http://shatyou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/toho5/flash-1.htm

2. Cut, copy, paste!

3. Ta -dah!
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#12 Post by mugenjohncel »

Agh!... Not that flash again!... so Moe... I just wanna kill a little girl today again (or at least draw one in such state)

And I still haven't succesfully disected that flash file...

"POOF" (Dissapears)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

Off-topic response to mugen: points to samu-kun's avatar (hints) :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#14 Post by mugenjohncel »

lordcloudx wrote:Off-topic response to mugen: points to samu-kun's avatar (hints) :twisted:
Hmm... that might be a good idea... NO! A BRILLIANT IDEA!...

Consider it done :twisted: ... Ohh... I just can't wait to get home...
Let's see... Massive Injury, Partial decapitation, Strangulation, Multiple Stab Wounds, Dead and naked in some dark alley with eyes wide open... Oh!... the possibilities are endless... my hands are shaking :twisted: ...
"POOF" (Shouts MOOOOOOOEEEEEEEHHHHHH! :twisted: )

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

Wait! I still haven't acquired the nuclear arms yet!

-Erm, I mean, what are you talking about, lordcloudx? I have absolutely no idea what you have against chocobos...