Hetero or homo?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

Hetero or Homo?

Hetero love
55%
Homo love
45%

Total votes: 199

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Hetero or homo?

#61 Post by papillon »

Also, real-life human versions (People who are born, say, XXY instead of XX or XY) tend not to resemble anime futa at all.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#62 Post by LVUER »

papillon wrote:Also, real-life human versions (People who are born, say, XXY instead of XX or XY) tend not to resemble anime futa at all.
Then how does they look like in real life?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#63 Post by DaFool »

Second the motion for explanation.

In one of my sci-fi ideas, I imagine the X chromosome to have 1 orientation and Y chromosome to have a -1 orientation. Therefore:

XXX = 1 (female)
XXY = -1 (male)
XYX = -1 (male)
XYY = 1 (female)
YXX = -1 (male)
YXY = 1 (female)
YYX = 1 (female)
YYY = -1 (male)

... and then theoretically XXX females would be 'Supah Females' and YYY males would be 'Supah Males'. The whole epic saga would consist of preventing these Supah people from meeting each other, since any planet unfortunate enough to host their encounter would explode from the sheer amount of sexual energy unleashed.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#64 Post by papillon »

I'm fairly sure being all Y and no X would make you dead in reality. :)

Not an expert, but my knowledge of the subject:

XXX does occur but apparently it just produces a female indistinguishable from 'normal' unless you do genetic analysis. XXXX and XXXXX occur very rarely and require things to have gone pretty far wrong in development; there's going to be a lot of disability there.

XYY is the pattern that is sometimes referred to as 'super male' - there was a theory for a while that boys with the extra Y would be doomed to be low-IQ violent sociopaths. IIRC, this idea came about because the first few people they discovered it in were criminals or mentally disabled, so they figured they'd all be like that. Wider studies have since given the impression that actually XYY is pretty much like XY; you wouldn't know unless you tested.

There's also just plain X, where someone's ended up with only one chromosome. (Just Y would be dead. Just X can survive, although they tend to have other abnormalities too.)
Then how does they look like in real life?
Complex subject! See 'intersex' on wikipedia for at least an introduction to the idea. :)

My vague and incomplete knowledge of the subject is that you're more likely to get someone who has male external organs and female internal organs (Or external-female internal-male) than you are to get someone with both sets of external organs working perfectly.

There are a number of conditions where someone will have male genitals but a tendency to develop small breasts. They may end up looking similar to a pre-op MtF. I knew someone who was XXY, and while e passed as male in eir normal life, e didn't really think of emself that way, and thus my use of strange pronouns. E did not consider emself either male OR female.

There are also cases where chromosomal females were exposed to high amounts of testosterone during development. They're still XX, but they are more likely to have male-typical brain patterns, more likely to identify as lesbian or trans, and sometimes have unusual genitalia... but NOT to the hugely exaggerated point of anime futa.

There's a condition where someone looks female as a child but is actually XY and never enters puberty. IIRC there's also a condition where someone looks female as a child and 'turns male' as they get older. Don't ask me how that works. The male bits were folded in and descend at puberty, maybe?

And this is just a beginning. There's a large number of ways for people to have some male and some female characteristics.

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#65 Post by Hime »

papillon wrote: My vague and incomplete knowledge of the subject is that you're more likely to get someone who has male external organs and female internal organs (Or external-female internal-male) than you are to get someone with both sets of external organs working perfectly.
Yup yup. I once watched a document about this, and it was said that sometimes the genitalia can also be kind of... scrambled, so that it's hard to tell if it's any gender's one at all. I've heard that those who are discovered to be intersex at birth also often get surgeries to "fix" their organs (I don't think something you're born with can be "broken", but to make it look like either gender's). The organs may also develop weirdly or not develop much at all, or be deformed. Hormones are often needed in order to get either of the organs work like they should, besides the common need of surgeries. Some hermas could probably get something to the tone of a futa equipment, so to speak - but only with continuous effort, a huge amount of pills and a lot of time in the operation room. I don't think that's what many of them want to do, though... It's way more common that they want to be a member of one sex and thus try to become men or women through less complicated, yet usually long, processes.

The tales of real life hermas can be quite tragic, especially for those who are raised as either boys and girls and only find out as puberty hits them. I really wanted to give the people in that document a kind pat on the back... ;_; I bet discrimination is a common problem too, in a society that has so much emphasis on sex. Too bad all people aren't open-minded enough to understand.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#66 Post by JQuartz »

DaFool wrote:XYY = 1 (female)
DaFool wrote:YXY = 1 (female
DaFool wrote:YYX = 1 (female)
These 3 are the same. Chromosomes (the X and Y as well as the other 40 something DNA strings) floats somewhat freely(if the chromosomes are normal) in the nucleus(the core) of our cells. So there's no sequence. It's we who gave the DNA sequence.
papillon wrote:I'm fairly sure being all Y and no X would make you dead in reality. :)
I think so too since the X has a lot of synthesis instructions that is necessary for living that is not available in the Y since the Y is very small compared to X. This reminds me of something funny: Back when I was in school, my science teacher joked that the girls should pity the guys since they're handicapped. She compares the X to hands so the girls have two hands while the guys only have one. The other hand is a small and not very useful(in her opinion as a female) hand. And therefore in her opinion, all men are handicapped. Everyone would laugh even the guys. (If I was more a clown back then I would surely taken the opportunity and have said "Pity me and be my girlfriend." That would surely bring out more laughter.)
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#67 Post by DaFool »

JQuartz wrote:This reminds me of something funny: Back when I was in school, my science teacher joked that the girls should pity the guys since they're handicapped. She compares the X to hands so the girls have two hands while the guys only have one. The other hand is a small and not very useful(in her opinion as a female) hand. And therefore in her opinion, all men are handicapped. Everyone would laugh even the guys. (If I was more a clown back then I would surely taken the opportunity and have said "Pity me and be my girlfriend." That would surely bring out more laughter.)
Typical behavior for a teacher. There are many sources and writeups that claim that the Y chromosome is so puny, is dying, etc.

What people forget that though the Y chromosome is not the stable chromosome, it is the guinea pig of Nature to freely experiment and see what permutations give its possessing species better survival. Then when a trait is considered good enough for the species as a whole it is stabilized in the X chromosome. That is why the dumbest and the smartest and the craziest people are always men... the most extremes of any bell curve. From serial killers to Jesus to race car drivers to someone who would create an entire model city out of toothpicks.

If I was a scrawny little runt with snot running out of his nose, and his mother and adults keep chiding him that he's handicapped, you know what I'll do? I'll conquer the world just to prove them wrong, overcome Nature, Society, and even the earth's gravitational field if need be.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#68 Post by papillon »

That is why the dumbest and the smartest and the craziest people are always men... the most extremes of any bell curve.
Sir, I think you want to take that back. Or someone may have to demonstrate crazy on you. :)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#69 Post by LVUER »

I also heard about a female athletes who really strong in her time (now she retired), but... now she isn't exactly she anymore. No wonder she was really strong compared with other females athletes at that time ^_^

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#70 Post by JQuartz »

DaFool wrote:Typical behavior for a teacher.
She's just joking. In reality she doesn't look down on guys. It's just a way to make us remember that the Y chromosome is smaller than the X chromosome and it has less functions(which seems to have worked). If she said it in a vindictive way, surely the guys wouldn't laugh.
DaFool wrote:That is why the dumbest and the smartest and the craziest people are always men...
I don't fully agree with this. I think if females are treated the same way as males and males treated as females, the dumbest, smartest and craziest would be females. The X and Y genes, by itself, have nothing significant to do with their performance. It's the encouragements, expectations and distractions that one receives that actually determines that. If let's say, a guy with the best brain in the world is encouraged and expected to marry a rich girl instead of getting a job. And if he is encouraged so much that he himself decided to take that path, wouldn't the guy would work more on his looks than study? And wouldn't that make him less outstanding in his studies/knowledge compared to everyone else? So in the end the smartest person in the world wouldn't be acknowledged as such and so the one acknowledged would be the second smartest. Thus the one you consider as the smartest, craziest, dumbest might not actually be so.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#71 Post by papillon »

To clarify my sniping:

There is a line of discussion at the moment that female IQ scores have a lower standard deviation than male scores - that is, the data currently show that men's scores range more widely and women's scores cluster more in the middle, with less tendency to be either really high or really low.

However, that's not the same thing as 'all the smartest and dumbest are men'. If a higher proportion of men than women are on the extremes, that doesn't mean NO women are on the extremes, just that in a similar sample set, more men than women will be.

However, theories based on IQ tests are open to a whole lot of debate. There isn't a fully agreed-upon way to measure intelligence, and people are always arguing that the tests skew results towards one particular social class or TYPE of intelligence or all kinds of things. There's also factors like who exactly takes the IQ tests (certainly not the whole world's population!) and how confidence affects testing and all kinds of things. Comparative IQ between populations has undergone some drastic changes over the past century, alongside a lot of social change and educative change. (that is, there are many groups in which there used to be a huge difference between those groups, but that difference got much smaller in subsequent decades).

Certainly the IQ test data tells you something, but what exactly it tells you is not that straightforward.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#72 Post by LVUER »

One thing that I know is that Y chromosome carries genetic that enable us to see colors better (especially red). So basically human could see four types of color, not only RGB. But rather R1, R2, G, B. But since the necessary genetic code to see both R is kept in Y chromosome, guys who only have XX chromosome don't have any chance to get those R1 and R2 at the same time and females have 50% chance to get them (and statistic proved it, 50% of females acquire them both).

Shiiro
Regular

#73 Post by Shiiro »

This topic has gone way far than the original question... =.=;;;

Giving my opinion:
I like hetero love, but I don't mind yaoi. Bad things is, I think I'm gonna like it soon, because all my best friends are getting addicted to yaoi... One of them used to hate it last year but I dunno what happened and she likes it suddenly...

And starts drawing guys kissing and feeling each other up...
Which is a good thing I didn't mind seeing it...

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#74 Post by pinkmouse »

JQuartz wrote:
DaFool wrote:XYY = 1 (female)
DaFool wrote:YXY = 1 (female
DaFool wrote:YYX = 1 (female)
These 3 are the same. Chromosomes (the X and Y as well as the other 40 something DNA strings) floats somewhat freely(if the chromosomes are normal) in the nucleus(the core) of our cells. So there's no sequence. It's we who gave the DNA sequence.
papillon wrote:I'm fairly sure being all Y and no X would make you dead in reality. :)
I think so too since the X has a lot of synthesis instructions that is necessary for living that is not available in the Y since the Y is very small compared to X. This reminds me of something funny: Back when I was in school, my science teacher joked that the girls should pity the guys since they're handicapped. She compares the X to hands so the girls have two hands while the guys only have one. The other hand is a small and not very useful(in her opinion as a female) hand. And therefore in her opinion, all men are handicapped. Everyone would laugh even the guys. (If I was more a clown back then I would surely taken the opportunity and have said "Pity me and be my girlfriend." That would surely bring out more laughter.)
It works this way in humans because for us the female form is the "default" and so the Y chromosome only has to deal with the bits where the male differs from that. It's pretty much a cascade development from the presence of testosterone if I remember rightly (from an admittedly fuzzy conversation in the pub.)

In birds and butterflies it's the other way round - the foetus develops as male unless the chromosomes to trigger "femaleness" are present.

Edit: [ahem] yes - back to the topic.

I'm a gay guy, so for me yaoi is normal. Just like everyone else I guess I have a higher tolerance for duff storylines if there's good eye-candy (i.e. cute guys), but really what I want is a good story.

Having said that, of course there are a heck of a lot of BxG stories out there, and a smaller but large number of GxB; BxB are under-represented because "OMG we can't upset our sponsors!" Consequently the GxB and BxG stories have er, stiffer competition IYSWIM :wink:

adrix89
Regular

#75 Post by adrix89 »

I would really like to see a story in which you can actually get into the "skin" of the character be it homo gender bender or whatever with all the oppression prejudice and psychological trauma it implies.
Bonus points if the protagonist falls in love with a straight one.
In other words if the reader is not homo he can become one through the character's psychology