Nicol Armarfi`s Stuff

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Nicol Armarfi
Regular
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Broken Sky
Projects: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Driftwood, Escape from Puzzlegate
Organization: 4LS

Nicol Armarfi`s Stuff

#1 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Hey guys, I`ll be showing you some of my music in the future using this thread :). For now, you can check out my website: http://nicol.chendo.net, though there is not much to see yet :?

-Nicol Armarfi

EDIT: I suppose I should have linked a song as well :P. Well, here's a little metal-ish piece I wrote the other day out of pure boredom: http://nicol.chendo.net/music/End%20of%20the%20Line.mp3. Keep in mind though, this is not reminiscent of my usual work.

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

Re: Nicol Armarfi`s Stuff

#2 Post by x__sinister »

That's a pretty nifty song. (:
Reminds me of something from FFX-2 in Luca Stadium.
This is nice stuff, I wish I could make music like that.
Unfortunately, I quit band in 8th grade. )':

Edit
Now, after looking at your website, I must really commend you.
Freakin' awesome.
I wish I could get custom music for my game, but I have no money to pay anyone with.
I iz jobless. 3:<
A literate roleplaying community.

Nicol Armarfi
Regular

#3 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

I wish I could get custom music for my game, but I have no money to pay anyone with.
Heh, I'm pretty sure I could name a few people who would gladly help you free of charge. You might try looking into some of the video game/anime music communities like OcRemix, Squaresound, or Ichigos. There are tons of talented musicians there who would even be glad to just have their stuff used in something :).
I iz jobless. 3:<
Looks like we're on the same boat :\

Nicol Armarfi
Regular

Revisiting...

#4 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

I was looking through my compositions folder to see what I could post to my website this morning, and found a bunch of really, really old music. Most of it is very horrible compared to my newer stuff, but I liked one of the pieces I found:

White Flower (2005)

I'm not too sure what it is about it, but it just had a nice... colour about it (I have no clue what the hell I'm talking about). Anyway, I decided to go about remaking it, but I've lost all MIDIs/sheet music/whatever notation I've had in the past, so now I need to transcribe it. I've gotten about half way through:

White Flower (2008)

Now after listening to the two, it's dawned on me how much my style has changed in just 3 years...

Nicol Armarfi
Regular

#5 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

I did some fiddling around with Linux Multimedia Studio last night, and finally figured out how it works. I managed to put together a small piece using it:

http://nicol.chendo.net/Hellfire.ogg

Now, I guess I'll finally be able to get back to work.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by N0UGHTS »

I'll admit I haven't listened to all of your songs yet, but I like your style... Bursting with energy, yet you can do something a little more "tame"... Versality ish very good, especially when it comes to being involved with music.

Maybe you should consider getting a job as a composer? Open a site with royalty-free music, eventually your fame will spread and Google will find you... Maybe if you persist enough someone will want to use your music in a commercial. :looks at Kevin MacLeod: Or maybe someonw ill even hire you to compose for them...

The thing is, some people might not want to use the songs that have been used in commercials.
"Wait a sec, I don't wanna remind people of menopause!"

:laughs: Keep up the good work... I envy you...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#7 Post by yummy »

I just listened to your composition. Well, it's very different from what you used to post ^^
I guess this is one of your first attempts to do music sampling (or err... electronic music composition) ?

I had mixed feeling while listening to it.

The intro is intringuing. I fisrt thought you were doing something "biological".

But at 00:15, the pad conflicts with your acid bass, creating something that's not very nice to listen to.

Then at 00:34, comes the part I like the best. The inversed organ fits well with the drums play.

Maybe when you play the next part at 01:16, you should replace the pad with a satured piano or something like that (clavecin? classic guitar?) to make it close to the drums rythm line (it's dynamic and quite well).

I would have liked it to be a little much longer but I know how it's hard to compose ^^

Nicol Armarfi
Regular

#8 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

yummy wrote:I guess this is one of your first attempts to do music sampling (or err... electronic music composition) ?
Actually, I've been making my music through sampling for 2-3 years. However, I just recently switched over to linux, and the program I use to sample my compositions only support .wav and .ogg samples, none of which I had prior. Because of this I was stuck with using the programs default samples, which were not too nice. The reason for the length was because I had originally made it for a friend of mine to step on Stepmania, since he's been nagging to me about that for ages.

I've just finished a new one, though. It's even shorter, though the samples and mixing are much better than in the previous one:

http://nicol.chendo.net/Desperation.ogg

Your comment about switching out the pad with a piano or steel guitar in the second part seems interesting, though. I'll try that in a bit :).
N0UGHTS wrote:Maybe you should consider getting a job as a composer? Open a site with royalty-free music, eventually your fame will spread and Google will find you... Maybe if you persist enough someone will want to use your music in a commercial. :looks at Kevin MacLeod: Or maybe someonw ill even hire you to compose for them...
I enjoy composing/performing/etc., but it's something I would never want to do professionally or competitively. I never enjoy doing anything I really like for payment or otherwise; just being able to write or perform music in itself is greatly preferred by me.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#9 Post by yummy »

I see why now. It's really difficult to adapt to a new environment: I took almost 3 month to be able to make something I wouldn't be ashamed of with my software.

What you did is just good, considering it was nearly like a writer writing his draft using two fingers, eyes folded, or a sculptor using only a hammer to create his statue, or a programmer using ASM to code in OOP...

This track is just awesome ^^ It's energetic and also entertaining.
Somehow I picture it better as a DDR track than your track named hellfire.

A little remark, it seems a little bit rushed at the end, as you probably were searching for a way to link to the beginning to complete your loop.

The pad seems off tune at one moment (I know it's only a down in the key transpose range, but it sounds weird to me).

The progression is efficient, the instrument panel really good.

I have a question: what music style do you favor?

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#10 Post by AlphaProspector »

Man, I should've contacted you a while ago but Univ. kept me damn busy. I still owe ya a Linux version of the game! Gotta prepare it as I'm readying a new version release.

Now, going into the music... You did this in such a short time span? O_O Desperation sounds definitely neat and Hellfire, while not really of my musical taste, is quite nice!
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

Nicol Armarfi
Regular

#11 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Yummy: Thanks for the comments/criticisms :). As for my preferred musical style... I can't really say. I like to try several styles; I've tried baroque, classical, romanticism, neo-classical, jazz, rock, pop, several types of electronic music, among others.

AlphaProspector: I was actually going to PM you about that, now that I'm able to get back to work. And yes, both of these tracks were done within the past two days. It didn't really take longer than I usually would take, though I just worked on the two until they were complete, rather than writing it across the span of a few hours a day.

Nicol Armarfi is too lazy to login

#12 Post by Nicol Armarfi is too lazy to login »

Been awhile since I posted in this thread... etc.

Something new: http://nicol.chendo.net/Detour.mp3

An odd, very 'guitary' piece. It uses about 4 different guitars, in addition to the bass. A drum set, string ensemble, piano, synths and choir are also used, but with less presence. Anyway, enjoy, comments/criticisms very much welcomed.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#13 Post by Blue123 »

Nice work. The build-up to when the main guitar comes in at 00:34 is smooth. The small development of the tune and patterns in that section is good. Only thing is the piano that starts afterwards 1:07 might be a bit too quiet.

Bleh, I'm getting distracted again. I'd better get back to what I should be doing. Great work.

Nicol Armarfi will login eventually

#14 Post by Nicol Armarfi will login eventually »

I had a bit of fun this one, I made it purely for the purpose of immitating the music of the Armored Core series:

http://nicol.chendo.net/AC.mp3

donom

#15 Post by donom »

Nicol Armarfi will login eventually wrote:I had a bit of fun this one, I made it purely for the purpose of immitating the music of the Armored Core series:

http://nicol.chendo.net/AC.mp3
Wow, I love this one. I think it could use some variance in the guitar's melody however, particularly near the end when it returns to play.