Unlockable Routes: POV change

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Unlockable Routes: POV change

#1 Post by Shinoki »

It's not that uncommon for a game to have an unlockable route--a new heroine, a new bishie love-interest, the true route (like Little Buster's Refrain route), etc. However, for the most part, the protagonist/narrator has been the same as that of the whole game so far. Sometimes, I've seen narrator switches, but never a complete protagonist switch-type of thing... Ah, I'm probably not making sense. What I'm trying to get to is:

If the unlockable route was basically another game within the game featuring one of the obtainable characters as the protagonist, telling a story of previous events from his POV and telling the story of the main game from his POV while still being able to make choices that could effect the story to obtain certain endings (like the romance stuff, endings, etc.), what would be your opinion on this?

It's a bit hard to explain, so hopefully, my question makes sense. It's an idea I thought of a few days ago.

(It's a bit of a big project type of idea, so I probably won't go there until I actually get something out)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Unlockable Routes: POV change

#2 Post by Katta »

i think this idea has a potential to be interesting if the story is very different from another POV (everything is not what it seemed to be), if it's the same story just a bit rephrased it's too boring.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#3 Post by Anne »

Ristorante Amore did a pretty similar thing...
Some of the Voltage games have his PoV stories, I've never been tempted to buy any of them, as I dislike narrator switches in general and always hate it when there're scenes from the love interests's perspective (Blind Griffin, a recently played example), the fact that they all turn out absolutely pointless doesn't help either.
It also seems a bit questionable targeting-wise (as a fan of otome I'd want more otome from those secret routes not BxG so your work will be lost on people like me and the people who'd be potentially interested in the reverse romance of the second part won't play it because of the first part at all)
You could also make them independently playable (like Roommates)

Ozitiho
Regular

#4 Post by Ozitiho »

The VN Katahana is all about this. Sort of. Instead of making choices conventionally, you pick which POV to take at certain points, which gradually changes the path you're on. And different paths are also the same thing happening from a different POV. It's really neat but it made for every path after the first one being rather short. Since yeah, the same thing happens for the most part. Which brings up a point, you can't easily have this POV switching thing in a VN with lots of choices. So I think maybe it's wise to pick one or the other.

Chibi Subaru
Regular
Projects: A Very Important Date
Organization: Naïve Sprites
Tumblr: naivesprites
Deviantart: naivesprites
itch: naivesprites

#5 Post by Chibi Subaru »

The mobile game In Your Arms Tonight by Voltage INC did something similar. The POV was told by the suitor and allowed the player to make choices that affected which ending they get. The mobile game is setup in a more linear gameplay, but a lot of people that play the game really like this setup more when comparing to the company's other games' typical POV stories.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#6 Post by Shinoki »

What I was thinking was more like an unlockable route that was told from another character's POV rather than POV switching within the story or unconventional POV during the story.

Like, my idea is kind of like: (aka what I might want to do someday with this idea)

The main story is about Character A who is a normal person who stumbles upon a fantasy situation. After romancing/friending various characters, fantasy or normal people, she gets to know more about the fantasy world and whatnot, but there's still a limit to the stuff that she knows being a newcomer and the fact that the cast of the story probably isn't going to be filled with teacher characters considering it's more of a romance than adventure.

Then, since Character A has finished X amount of routes, the next half of the story is unlocked. Finishing that amount of routes, the reader should have enough information to gain insight from new information gained from the unlocked route/section.

The unlocked route/half is probably going to be smaller than the original thing, and it would from the POV of one of the fantasy characters. That character could then romance other characters and see things from the fantasy perspective as well as probably other things. Plus, it's also kind of new romance routes or more insight into relationships that happen in the background of the first half (like how sometimes, when you don't romance obtainables, they end up getting together in games)

(It sounds more and more complicated the more I think about it, but it's just an idea that I could potentially use in the future)

From the advice I've gotten, the main thing is to: make sure that the story doesn't get boring because of the repeated events from POV switches.