[NaNo2016] Scratches and Bites [BxB][Romance]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
DeeVisser
Projects: D&M + S&B (hiatus), Sinking

[NaNo2016] Scratches and Bites [BxB][Romance]

#1 Post by DeeVisser » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Currently on hiatus! Find it on itch.io!
Terrence never thinks about his relationship with Kim, he certainly doesn't want to think about it. It's something that just is, feels good and leaves him breathless and moaning every now and then. But of course, right when the tournaments start getting big and he needs to focus, a new guy pops up and makes things complicated. Chase is sweet and supportive and a real friend, something that can't be said about Kim. Terrence begins questioning his relationships—why can't he call Kim his 'boyfriend'? Why every time Chase is nice to him, he feels uncomfortable?
Warnings
Unbalanced relationships (that can be balanced back or ended), discussion and exploration of BDSM (nothing extremely graphic), smexy times, bad words, emphasis on communication!
Characters, drawn by the amazingly talented Martina-G
Terrence
The main character and holder of the point of view. His goal is to become a pro player of CS to get away from the shithole he lives in. He is very driven and actually spends every evening having matches and tournaments... except when Kim comes to hang out. He doesn't really questions their relationship until Chase comes around, and he learns that smiles and talks feel good, almost better than scratches and bites.

Kim
In an established sex-based relationship with Terrence. Full of contradictions: is active on virtually every SNS but is actually very bad at communication; likes his fashion to be boho and soft but he's actually very rough. He's trying to become famous with his photography, but until then he works as a barista. Had troubles coming to terms with his own sadism, and continuously seeks out Terrence since he doesn't seem to mind it.

Chase, full color portrait coming soon!
Transfers to Terrence's school in their last year. He's closeted and starts off his relationship with Terrence as a friend. He's very supportive of Terrence's passion for e-sports and likes to hang out with him, watch movies or just play random games (as long as they're not FPS, otherwise Terrence gets too competitive). He can actually get quite pushy and loves to do things for Terrence.
Technicalities
Originally released as an episodic novella in 2013, I was never really happy with it so I decided to adapt it to another medium and spice it up (and make it less problematic). Only the characters and some scenes remain of the original, which is written in another language.
The common route is pretty long, 11 outlined chapters. Kim's route is 5 chapters plus 2 endings, for a total of4 CGs.
I am familiar with Ren'Py and have produced small solo-projects before (for class), but because I want to do this alone, I plan on using Tyranobuilder. It's easier to make a prettier, functional GUI and gallery, and since I'm taking care of those plus writing plus 'programming', it makes more sense for me to use Tyrano.
As for the music, I own some RPG Maker music DLC that can be used with other engines, so I think I'm covered.
The art is made by the amazing Martina-G and you can check her DeviantArt, Tumblrand Facebookfor more great art <3

Progress
- Cried my eyes out for the GUI, which is done
- Common route written and proofread! Kim's route written & proofread!
- Music has been sorted out!
- All 13 backgrounds have been found and oilified (thanks GIMP :P )
- Sprites: 2/4; CG: 1/4; lineart: 3/3

As you can see from the game's recruitment post, I'm looking for help! I have a proofreader for the script, but I'd love to have more feedback on flow, characters and scenes.
Screenshot
Here you can see read text functions! Read text (in orange) is skippable, while unread text (in white) isn't.
Alternative outfit for Kim!

If you have any feedback I'll gladly receive it, this is my first game (and solo project) so I want to give it my best :D and if you have any questions, shoot away!
Last edited by DeeVisser on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:42 am, edited 14 times in total.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls
Projects: Lads in Distress - Nano'16
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: [NaNo2016] Scratches and Bites [BxB][Romance]

#2 Post by Lesleigh63 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:32 am

I like BxB, but don't know if this would be something I'd like or if it would get too rough for my tastes.

Good luck with it.

Kinmoku
Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: Love IRL, Memories
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#3 Post by Kinmoku » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 pm

I like the look of the character art :) Interesting premise too... I'll keep my eye on it!

Good luck :D

DeeVisser

#4 Post by DeeVisser » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank you both for the kind words!
I started working on the script today, and my artist is working like crazy on the other sprites :)

I definitely made it softer than it was originally, but I understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea! I'll update the warnings as I write to make sure it doesn't make people uncomfortable out of the blue :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#5 Post by MimirollCookie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:48 am

Good luck with NaNo!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:53 am

Oh. Yes please.
I love the idea. I love the fact that this is more about balancing a relationship (or potentially abandoning it for a healthier one) and this is such an important message??? Like it's not knocking on BDSM but the fact that communication is very important in relationships regardless of what's in it and I really, really like this. I'd love to be your proofreader!

The art is really good, too. I can't wait to see this finished.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

DeeVisser

#7 Post by DeeVisser » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Hey, thank you both for the kind words and Ghost, I sent you a PM regarding the proofreading :D
And yes communication solves 99% of relationship problems and yet. I'm guilty of it myself.

I also updated the main post with the promo of Kim! The colored full sprite and Chase's will come soon :D I also started to work on the script, the first scenarios have been sent to the proofreaders :D

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: Heiress II, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicle Of Mars, Tuesday, Black Closet, Rising Angels: Hope
Projects: MorningStar: Grand Tour, Dear & Mine
Deviantart: Renmiou

#8 Post by Renmiou » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Stalking time! D:

I'm quite curious to see Chase, now!

I quite like the look for the UI, I think it fits the sprites' style quite well. Additionally, because the themes are quite bold, it seems fitting to have a rather clean look to it, with a strong contrast between the black and dark orange. It's nice to see elements of the graphics work well with the story.

I'm quite interested in seeing how the story develops: most VNs have a sort of "gotta catch them all" approach to things that can get a bit samey, so having the option to end a relationship seems like an interesting addition. I wonder whether it would feel like missing out on something or if it might work better for some players. I can certainly say that sometimes, in some stories, it feels a bit like you're being railroaded into a win or lose situation, whereas maybe it should be more of a what-do-you-prefer-and-what-feels-right sort of deal.

I shall give it a try once it's done, I'm always interested in stories that play out in a different way. :D

(Also, best commission descriptions ever, you guys.)

DeeVisser

#9 Post by DeeVisser » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Thank you for the feedback >v<

I updated the original post with Chase's lineart, the link to the itch.io page and some more details!

While the script is ready, programming can't start until all the assets are completed since I'm using Tyrano, so I'd love to have more opinions on it. Still looking for beta readers/additional proofreaders/people willing to tear it apart with constructive criticism that can help me piece it back and make it better. If anybody's willing, shoot me a PM :)