Antares [Action/Fantasy] [iOS/Android]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikemsrk

Antares [Action/Fantasy] [iOS/Android]

#1 Post by mikemsrk »

Antares
Overview
Kinetic visual novel / Grid-based strategy combat game.
Story
Year 317 – the war rages on for a decade between Antares and Barian empire.
In the midst of turmoil and death, a young guard of a small, northern fortress sets off to turn the tides of a never-ending war.

Game Link
Thank you for checking it out, please let me know your thoughts / comments / suggestions / critical issues with the game!
Also appreciate any feedback regarding character artwork, I haven't been drawing for long so I'll take any helpful tips!
Please visit http://msrkgames.com for more info. You can also reach me on twitter @ https://twitter.com/msrkgames.
Last edited by mikemsrk on Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

vedicardi
Regular

Re: Antares [Adventure | Fantasy] [Android (Free)]

#2 Post by vedicardi »

is this built in renpy?
I murder for moe.

mikemsrk

Re: Antares [Adventure | Fantasy] [Android (Free)]

#3 Post by mikemsrk »

vedicardi wrote:is this built in renpy?
This was built using Unity 4.7.

Kal
Projects: Aurelion: The Coin
Organization: Human Library | Aurelians

Re: Antares [Action/Fantasy] [iOS/Android]

#5 Post by Kal »

I started reading/playing it, and I'm already awed by the art, the animation effects, the music and the SFX. You do everything on your own, right? What programs do you use for composing the music?

The writing is good but may benefit from another pair of eyes. I think I spotted a few stylistic blemishes. Nothing serious though.

My main issue has been with the training interface (I haven't tried battles yet). Since I'm playing on a 4'' screen, it's hard to understand when my character is about to be hit by an arrow; and to go to a specific tile on the ground (they're too small). However, this may be a device-specific problem (my screen is not very responsive to taps).

Also, I'm yet to figure out the logic behind the training scores.

Congratulations, and please carry on. :)
Current project: Aurelion: The Coin

mikemsrk

#6 Post by mikemsrk »

Kal wrote:I started reading/playing it, and I'm already awed by the art, the animation effects, the music and the SFX. You do everything on your own, right? What programs do you use for composing the music?

The writing is good but may benefit from another pair of eyes. I think I spotted a few stylistic blemishes. Nothing serious though.

My main issue has been with the training interface (I haven't tried battles yet). Since I'm playing on a 4'' screen, it's hard to understand when my character is about to be hit by an arrow; and to go to a specific tile on the ground (they're too small). However, this may be a device-specific problem (my screen is not very responsive to taps).

Also, I'm yet to figure out the logic behind the training scores.

Congratulations, and please carry on. :)
Thank you for the kind words :D.
I didn't create the BGM / Backgrounds on this project (with exception of the map). I used assets from various sources that are available for commercial use (full attribution on store listing).
Character art, effects, CGs, programming and story were done by me. I used fl studio with pianissimo & synthogy ivory plugins on my past projects for small piano scores, but that's about it.

You're absolutely right, I had a chance to test it out on a smaller HTC after reading your feedback, and it does make it quite a bit more difficult. I'm still adjusting gameplay difficulty and I'll have another look at the scripts while I'm at it.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback and taking the time to play it!

Kal

#7 Post by Kal »

Thanks for the answers!

Is there a way to go back and read previous lines? EDIT: Found it!

And can we fast-forward text we've already read?

(Alternatively, I need more than 8 saving slots. :( )

mikemsrk

#8 Post by mikemsrk »

Kal wrote:Thanks for the answers!

Is there a way to go back and read previous lines? EDIT: Found it!

And can we fast-forward text we've already read?

(Alternatively, I need more than 8 saving slots. :( )
Ah - currently no good way to fast forward text besides just tapping the screen ultra fast -_-
That is on my 'to do' list, however...
I just removed the 'Story Point' limit and game win condition so people who don't like playing the mini games can skip to the story now. :)

Kal

#9 Post by Kal »

Last night, I completed the story.

Although I'm not your target audience (I disliked the violence and didn't care for the characters' motivation, particularly Kes's revenge mission), I enjoyed your sense of humor and the bits of each character's backstory thrown in here and there.

I'd recommend reducing the number of "empty" screens, especially the ones with the "..., .., ." progression. They get repetitive after a while.

The art, including the backgrounds, remained excellent throughout the story. Can you include an in-game gallery where we can view special CG we've already seen? (That's a typical feature of VNs.) The picture of Kes when she removed Aen's bandages was especially breath-taking, with that tender, fragile look of hers.

All in all, thank you for the experience. I don't know if I'll try the next installments (it's not my kind of story), but I was very impressed by the visuals. Do keep it up. :)