Name Labels [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sumire76Joker
Deviantart: Sumire56

Name Labels [Solved]

#1 Post by Sumire76Joker »

I'm using a Japanese based font that allows me to write in both English and Japanese for my game, and it works for the regular text. However, the name labels don't show the characters' names, in either language. I also tried putting them in the two_window format, but that didn't work either.

Code: Select all

init python:

style.default.font = "msmincho.ttc"
    style.default.language = "eastasian"

# Declare characters used by this game.
define e = Character(u"keiko", color="#c8ffc8", show_two_window=True)
define w = Character(u"じっこう", color="#c8ffc8", show_two_window=True)
I also tried without the u"name", and indenting the space where I declared the characters to be in the init python: block.
[img]
name_example.jpg
[/img]

Edit: It turns out that it was the character name bolding that made the font not show.
Last edited by Sumire76Joker on Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunwave
Regular

Re: Name Labels

#2 Post by sunwave »

First of all a disclaimer: I'm a relative noob at Renpy. I'm sorry if I'm giving idiot suggestions.

Now for my reaction:
I can't find anything wrong with your code. Actually, I'm using the exact same code to create two windowed textboxes for my character. According to the cookbook, the u"charname" is needed for the japanese fonts, and just "charname" (without the u) for english fonts. Since you are using a mixed font, maybe you should try it without the 'u'.

define e = Character("keiko", color="#c8ffc8", show_two_window=True)
define w = Character("じっこう", color="#c8ffc8", show_two_window=True)
You might have already tried this, in which case I can only suggest looking at your style definitions and checking if you did something strange to the "show_two_window" settings (screens.rpy and look for the 'say' screen). With my very limited experience, I can't tell you what else could be wrong.
Good luck.

Sumire76Joker
Deviantart: Sumire56

Re: Name Labels

#3 Post by Sumire76Joker »

As of now, nothing I try works. It seems like the English letter k partially shows up, I get the top and bottom points in the say window, but nothing else does. Whenever I take out the

init python:

style.default.font = "msmincho.ttc"
    style.default.language = "eastasian"
the English names appear as they should. However, I noticed that the English default font appears to be bolded in some way, and was wondering if that could cause the error? My font may not be able to be bolded? When I tried looking in the .rpy files, I couldn't find any code related to bolding the name. Am I missing it?

sunwave
Regular

Re: Name Labels [Solved]

#4 Post by sunwave »

I wanted to see if there had been a new development just to learn something, but there are no new posts. Still, you say it was solved. Can you share with us what the solution turned out to be?